APDL 8.3 Released, now only $99/year

Learn more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Android?

Here is a recent reply I gave someone on the Logbook Pro Facebook page asking about APDL for Android starting now?

No, we are not starting on APDL for Android soon. While we are ready to release APDL it is far from "done" as we have so much more to put into the app. The initial release is a stable checkpoint where you can use it and enjoy the features but it's far from complete from what we want this app to do and is capable of doing. We will remain focused on iOS for the unforeseeable future and then it's an if/when for Android. I'm a big fan of Android - it's awesome but we simply don't have the resources for the complexity of APDL to be porting to Android at this time. I strongly recommend adding an iOS device to your mix such as an iPad/iPad mini which should also be a write-off for you but will be worth it - just a thought. But I'm being 100% up front that we are not ready to leave iOS at this time as we have so much more exciting work ahead.

This reply was to me on Facebook... I'm "borrowing" an an iPhone 4s at this point as adding an iPad/iPad mini just isn't an option that is in my budget at this point.

I've been looking through the program over the last few days and I am cautiously optimistic, but the jury is still very much out.

I'm going to try it out on this next 5 day trip I'm on and see what happens.

I've been on your website with all of the instructions, however, it would be very helpful if that same information was in a PDF that could be downloaded to a device for easy reference.

Neal, should I decide that the APDL program is worth adding an iPad or an iPad mini, what if any is the difference in representation between the full size iPad and the iPadmini? From what I'm reading, some features/views are only available on the iPad.

Thanks!
    Last edited by av8rleo; 01-11-2015 at 6:05 PM.

iPad and iPad mini representations are the same. The only differences are between iPad and non iPad devices.
    Andy Adams
    Delta A320 First Officer
    Support Engineer
    APDL Documentation Team Lead
    NC Software, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Adams View Post
    iPad and iPad mini representations are the same. The only differences are between iPad and non iPad devices.
    Is an iPod touch compatible?

Yes, any iOS device running iOS 7.1 or later. That means iPhone, iPod touch, iPad mini, iPad...

Ok, it's been a year since the Android APDL question was asked (and about 6 since the first post in this thread), so....when is it coming?!?!

I like the promos and % off you keep sending me, but I cant use it because you dont support my mobile operating system...

APDL for Android is not on our near term radar. Sorry.

Matthewjohn,
    As an Android user I understand what you're saying, I'm no fan of Apple myself. But when I was using APDL on my Palm device, that is all I used it for. It was basically a part of my uniform. So when I switched to the new APDL, I bought an iPod Touch from Apple's outlet store (that saved me a few dollars) and treat it the same as my old Palm device. It lives in my uniform shirt pocket and I don't use it for anything else, just APDL. It works great and is getting even better.
    That"s my suggestion, for what it's worth.
    Rob

diedrichg is offline APDL Beta Team
    Republic Airlines
    Just a consideration if you get a iPod Touch (or any iOS device), make sure you get the newest you can afford that will run at least iOS 9.x as certain APDL features have, and will be, supported only in the newest iOS updates.

Any updates on APDL availability for Android?

There are no plans for Android APDL at this time. Sorry.

I wish I had the franchise rights to the Android question. Even at a dime per query I'd make a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Culiner View Post
    There are no plans for Android APDL at this time. Sorry.
    So this response is from a year and a half ago now, are there still no plans for Android? If not, I'm just curious, why aren't there?
    Last edited by FlyingIllini10; 08-05-2017 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling error

No change to previous. We are focused on continuing the build out on iOS and cloud functionality as we have so much yet to do.

Why the completely dismissal of Android users? There are so many of us, Android users, who would love to subscribe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

diedrichg is offline APDL Beta Team
    Republic Airlines
    Quote Originally Posted by thiagomme View Post
    Why the completely dismissal of Android users? There are so many of us, Android users, who would love to subscribe.

Because the majority of airlines use the iPad as their device of choice. It therefore makes sense to develop on the prominent OS. Yes, Android commands the majority of mobile devices, but those are personal handheld phones. NC Software made the correct decision in supporting iOS since that's what tens of thousands of pilots have been issued by their employer for use on the flight deck.

I'm sorry, I saw this last night and forgot to reply. There is NO dismissal of Android. We do not have the resources to do APDL on both iOS and Android at this time. Our focus is on iOS for reasons mentioned above and I do not see Android in APDL's future any time soon. The user interface is complex in APDL and not something you can just copy and paste across platforms, much less the architecture behind it.

I agree with the IPad being the device of choice for airlines. I believe Neal when he says that the product is extremely complex and difficult to implement on a new OS. But can't we at least hope for some kind of extension of the app to Android? No inputs, data entry, or schedule importer but at least a platform where the user can see live updates of the data previously synced from APDL. As an Android user I don't get any updates while on-duty ( two-three turns with an iPad that is wifi only, the case for most airlines). However, half of the pilots I know who also use APDL, get to receive live updates while working in regards to gate or tail changes, delays, duty remaining, and so on because they have an IPhone.

That kind of notification is valuable, and helps one rationalize the $100/year fee. I see some of my buddies going over to the competition for $89 lifetime (granted, not as complete imo) and I catch myself trying once again to justify APDL. With almost 30 years left in my career, the difference is close to $3k. And it's not like APDL is bug-free either, far from that.

Last edited by thiagomme; 05-02-2018 at 11:01 PM.

I agree with the IPad being the device of choice for airlines. I believe Neal when he says that the product is extremely complex and difficult to implement on a new OS. But can't we at least hope for some kind of extension of the app to Android? No inputs, data entry, or schedule importer but at least a platform where the user can see live updates of the data previously synced from APDL. As an Android user I don't get any updates while on-duty ( two-three turns with an iPad that is wifi only, the case for most airlines). However, half of the pilots I know who also use APDL, get to receive live updates while working in regards to gate or tail changes, delays, duty remaining, and so on because they have an IPhone.

That kind of notification is valuable, and helps one rationalize the $100/year fee. I see some of my buddies going over to the competition for $89 lifetime (granted, not as complete imo) and I catch myself trying once again to justify APDL. With almost 30 years left in my career, the difference is close to $3k. And it's not like APDL is bug-free either, far from that.

Sounds like you need an Apple fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any lifetime subscription "promise" is marketing nonsense and quite frankly a scam. How long will a company or product be around? Let's take for example I offer you Product X with a lifetime subscription. All I have to do then is come out with Product Y and never update Product X again and you have your software for life but never touched again yet Product Y is where all the new magic happens. You get what you pay for. If you want something for free, expect that level of service and features. We all know of some companies that have played terrible games with their customers constantly changing and screwing over their user base with pricing changes, subscription changes, etc. I try to keep our offerings transparent, trustworthy, and long term.

No software is bug free, none of my offerings are bug free but "APDL is bug-free either, far from that" is a bit exaggerated, the software is very reliable yet it is very complex and we continue to improve it both in fixing and adding new features. Have you checked out the new Commute Tools in the latest 8.4.4 release?

YouTube Video on Commute Tools

You have some good ideas and we'd love to offer email notifications for legality and pushing notifications via an APDL Alerter or some slimmed down Android app is an interesting idea. More minds in the mix the better, our software improves based on ideas. The nice thing is we have a great APDL Cloud architecture but we need to move more of the architecture out of the iOS app to the cloud but we still could have the iOS app send the cloud things to pass to email or Android. Right now most of the notifications presented on an iOS device are done by the APDL app on that device, it's not coming externally. We are working on all of this, evolving, better cloud handling, etc. It's very exciting. This is what your $99/year is going towards and we hope it's providing great value. You know your options in adding an iOS device into the mix for now, I don't need to tell you that, I'll certainly keep the gears turning on how to bring Android into play someday. I love both OS's, most know I have both android and iOS phones, etc. and I agree it's split down the middle other than the company choice for iPads as discussed.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron64 View Post
    Sounds like you need an Apple fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great suggestion, but no thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal Culiner View Post
    Any lifetime subscription "promise" is marketing nonsense and quite frankly a scam. How long will a company or product be around? Let's take for example I offer you Product X with a lifetime subscription. All I have to do then is come out with Product Y and never update Product X again and you have your software for life but never touched again yet Product Y is where all the new magic happens. You get what you pay for. If you want something for free, expect that level of service and features. We all know of some companies that have played terrible games with their customers constantly changing and screwing over their user base with pricing changes, subscription changes, etc. I try to keep our offerings transparent, trustworthy, and long term.

No software is bug free, none of my offerings are bug free but "APDL is bug-free either, far from that" is a bit exaggerated, the software is very reliable yet it is very complex and we continue to improve it both in fixing and adding new features. Have you checked out the new Commute Tools in the latest 8.4.4 release?

YouTube Video on Commute Tools

You have some good ideas and we'd love to offer email notifications for legality and pushing notifications via an APDL Alerter or some slimmed down Android app is an interesting idea. More minds in the mix the better, our software improves based on ideas. The nice thing is we have a great APDL Cloud architecture but we need to move more of the architecture out of the iOS app to the cloud but we still could have the iOS app send the cloud things to pass to email or Android. Right now most of the notifications presented on an iOS device are done by the APDL app on that device, it's not coming externally. We are working on all of this, evolving, better cloud handling, etc. It's very exciting. This is what your $99/year is going towards and we hope it's providing great value. You know your options in adding an iOS device into the mix for now, I don't need to tell you that, I'll certainly keep the gears turning on how to bring Android into play someday. I love both OS's, most know I have both android and iOS phones, etc. and I agree it's split down the middle other than the company choice for iPads as discussed.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.
    APDL is of great value, I just feel like it becomes somewhat crippled for pilots who are given an IPad as a work tool but carry on their pockets an Android phone. However, I am very glad that you are taking my thoughts into consideration. It's good to know that the community's suggestions are been considered, as the app evolves, thank you.