• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL version 9.3 now on the Apple App Store. Click here to review what's new and download the latest version. New users enjoy the first 90 DAYS FREE.

Endorsements

Jonbutler34

You need to make update to allow digitally signing endorsements like some of the other logbooks out there. I'm at a school that had me purchase a paper logbook solely for the purpose of putting stickers/signatures in my "logbook" since there is no option here.

minearsm

APDL Beta Team
That's a great sugestion!

txrancherpilot

jpg endorsement

In the works
How about being able to take a pic of an endorsement on a piece of paper or a sticker and attaching it to your log on your PC. You wouldn't necessarily have to have the pics synced online but they would be in your PC and if you printed the log you could have an addendum in the back with all the endorsements.

flymaster7

Neil, longtime user and I love the service you provide. Many thanks. Any updates on being able to have a CFI sign a flight through the app?

Tspin

Seems like this has been "in the works" for a long, long, long time. Any update?

Neal Culiner

Founder, President
Staff member
Seems like this has been "in the works" for a long, long, long time. Any update?
Hello @Tspin not yet but be sure to sign up for our newsletters at this link to get notified when updates come out.

Tspin

Neal, so basically that answer is the same as it has been since at least 2004. Not yet, sign up for updates. Frankly this is getting very old. It seems that while many other logbook programs have figured this out, and also how to have an instructor able to digitally sign, and to have a web access interface, Logbook Pro is lagging behind in this area. I really like Logbook Pro, but not being able to digitally sign, see / access data remotely is causing me to start looking into other solutions again.

Neal Culiner

Founder, President
Staff member
@Tspin,

Since the mid 1990's when Logbook Pro first came to use, over 20 years ago, not once has an endorsement ever been a problem with the FAA or any examiner, airline interview, check ride, etc. You have to understand the spirit of the reg and also the regs still assume you're using paper and not digital because the FAA doesn't care, they simply want you to track your flight time, flight characteristics, follow currency requirements, and have a record of who what and when. A signature is meaningless, who is to say who actually signed it? Is someone going to do forensics and do handwriting comparison? You could fudge anything in your logbook. What an endorsement's purpose is is to correlate who you flew with, they can go to them and ask did they fly with you, how did they do, did you notice any issues, etc. The intent is correlating two people and documenting the logbook with what was done. Credit card companies have done away with signatures, here is an article you may want to read and states: "Signatures are no longer considered to be any real deterrent to fraud,"

Logbook Pro is customizable allowing you to track what you need for the intent of an endorsement. You can put it all in the remarks or you can create custom TEXT fields in Options > Custom. For example add an "Endorsement" column for the endorsement verbage. Add an "Endorser" (or Instructor/Examiner, or both) to track the name of the person. Again, you could fly your flight and hand your phone with mobile app to your instructor and have them write what they want in your remarks column or any column you so choose. INK of a signature is not required, that is NOT the intent, the intent is Name/ID, Date, What. How you record that is up to you. The same applies for airline pilots using APDL. We offer Leg Notes which can be used for this same purpose. Documenting anything you need "for this flight."

It's your logbook, and as I've always told people, get what works best for you. Maybe contact your local FAA office / Flight Safety and ask them their opinion on what really needs to be logged to satisfy the intent. A logbook is a written record, that record can be falsified just as easy as anything else. An investigator, signature or not, has to correlate the event between student and instructor for example by talking to both people "did you..." and also ask the FBO of any records of flying on that date, unless of course there is an accident.

Will an update have signature capability? We'll see when the time comes, for now the reg is satisfied per above. When you have a signature endorsement situation in an electronic document you have to consider how it will be presented later, is it securely stored, etc.

I hope this sheds some light on endorsements but in the end, it is your decision how you want to log your flying.

Tspin

Neil, no to argue with you, but per 61.51(h)(2)(ii) signature requires for logging training. "(ii) Include a description of the training given, the length of the training lesson, and the authorized instructor's signature, certificate number, and certificate expiration date. " Yes, we can add custom fields, put the instructor name in remarks, etc. None of which will provide a signature from the instructor. This feature has been asked for by several other users, and since at least 2004 you have been telling users it's coming in a future update. If there are no plans to incorporate such a feature, then why not just say so?

Neal Culiner

Founder, President
Staff member
If the instructor types his name in the remarks field that should suffice or any custom text field. Nothing says it has to be INK, the name is what is to fulfill this requirement. Regs are open to interpretation,contact your local FAA office and discuss with them.

Again, find what works best for you if Logbook Pro does not fulfill your needs.