Suggestions for iPhone/iPad app

Andy Adams

Support Engineer
Staff member
here's a few thoughts for a future release. by no means do i consider these "critical" and urgent updates, no rush.

my first thought is some kind of calculator that will total up the data stored in the app at any given time. at first just the actually flown data (not pending flights) but it could be good too to be able to see a pre-total of what your planned flights will be. eventually i could see something like this being a type of forward-looking 121/135 times checker that will notify you when you are going to be approaching a 30 in 7 violation some days into the future if the flights go as planned.

this would also help get an idea of what your current totals are..since the current system can't update itself beyond the last PC sync (even with the new sync schedule you need your pc to be online, which i can't do) so at least if you have the last synced data totals, and the currently "not synced" data totals, you can add them together. eventually i think a temporary total calculation would be good. perhaps some kind of way of having a totals page marked as "last synced data plus device data", even if there's some kind of disclaimer that says it's not error checked or something. all the data wouldn't have to be there either, maybe just total flights and total hours with a few others like night, instrument, it's just temporary to give you an idea of your totals until your next pc sync.

finally, i flew with someone last week who had just bought the iPad app and was complaining that there was no way to log "by the day" conveniently. although i do not log this way myself, i think there are quite a few that do. he was new to logbook pro and was trying to find ways to make it work so he didn't have to change the way he logged. the problem he was having was, even though he can put a daily total in the flight entry and specify multiple legs, there was no way to easily add the totals from each flight to arrive at that daily number. the best suggestion i could give him for that was to make a custom column called "leg 1, leg 2, leg 3" etc and manually enter the times for each leg in that, and at the end of the day put the total in the "duration" field. he wasn't concerned with the auto calculate of OOOI times, but just wanted multiple leg duration fields or something. it's an interesting situation that i never thought about before.

like i said, that's not bothering me, but i'm sure there are those out there.

i would like a daily total hours number somewhere if possible though.

Last edited:
Hello Andy,

I moved your post to a new thread in the Wish List forum rather than piling on to that old 1.0.5 thread.

I do not envision reports updating based on newly data entered on the device. As you mentioned and know, the best way to get information regarding limits is to use the scheduled sync. Interesting thought though about incorporating future flights, I'll jot a few notes about syncing "pending flights" so they can be included in the reports. I have a similar task already logged which relates to this without going into it further but it enables this functionality (i.e. sync to PC not duplicating existing entries).

As to the by leg vs. by "trip" (log page in APDL terms) - Logbook Pro allows a by "day" log if you enter all stops in the route field. The only catch is you have to know your total flight time and I'm considering a time calculator where you can enter your out/in times for the day and it will tell you the duration of all of these combined. However, two ways to handle this situation: 1) Simply log each leg separately, 2) Use the free form route entry and log the entire day but you'll have to calculate the duration manually.

Thx for the feature requests. Don't be afraid of creating new threads, they are far easier to manage than making an existing thread (discussion) very long and beyond the scope of what that thread was created to discuss.

Keep the ideas coming.

yeah, i gotta get better about deciding when to start a new one. you keep moving stuff on me :)

i like the calculator option you mentioned.

i edited the first post possibly after you read it, what about a daily total somewhere? if you're logging per flight and this would be after the flights are complete. essentially another couple lines in the lookback section of "today, yesterday, 2 days ago"

i edited the first post possibly after you read it, what about a daily total somewhere? if you're logging per flight and this would be after the flights are complete. essentially another couple lines in the lookback section of "today, yesterday, 2 days ago"

Added as a feature request

Back