Android?

Thank you for your inquiry. For the next few months we are focusing on the development of Logbook Pro 2009. After it releases we will be broadening our support across devices and various platforms available. Please consult our roadmap for more information.

Any update on this, or a suitable replacement for APDL that does work on Android phones?

We will post information when we have information to share. Software takes a long time to develop properly and we are a small business with limited resources. Each of these phones requires a huge and dedicated effort. Our focus right now is on Logbook Pro 2010 which will set the base for all other applications to follow. Please see this KB article for additional information.

Thank you.

Thanks. Hoping APDL can keep up with the newest / cutting edge mobile phones on the market..........................hopefully we see something soon as it is now 2010.

It's now mid-March. Where is the APDL updates?

Seeing how Windows Mobile is a dying breed phone, and the iphone is already 4-5 years old, I would like to know why a well known company like NC Software has yet to release a APDL app for the ANDROID operating system? MANY people now have made the switch to the ANDROID os, and once again, APDL and NC Software has fallen way behind the line of presenting a new APDL to be compatible with current/popular Phones/OS's.

Is this planned?
If so, when, and why the long delay/no word of it?

I agree. We see an announcement in Sept about new version of LBP coming soon, then they will focus on the Android OS. It's almost April now, still no LBP 2010, or any word on Andoird OS. I wish the company would stay with the cutting edge, get an app out there (Windows Mobile is a pretty much dead breed) or at least tell us they are working on an app.

Thank you for your inquiry. I don't want to mislead anyone so I'm going to be honest and up front so you know exactly where we stand. Logbook Pro 2010 is our priority development effort, as it is now, it probably won't be ready until this fall at the earliest. We are working on the iPhone app now, Android I'm not sure when that's coming. It may not be until after Logbook Pro 2010 releases so I don't foresee it coming in 2010. Android is not our priority at this moment.

Thank you for your inquiry. I don't want to mislead anyone so I'm going to be honest and up front so you know exactly where we stand. Logbook Pro 2010 is our priority development effort, as it is now, it probably won't be ready until this fall at the earliest. We are working on the iPhone app now, Android I'm not sure when that's coming. It may not be until after Logbook Pro 2010 releases so I don't foresee it coming in 2010. Android is not our priority at this moment.

Damn, what a shame. Thought you could would at least stay up to date with current technology. Oh well, time to look elsewhere.

hi NC. send

Hi NC.
Sending this from my droid. Read your replies but must also bug you for an android app ASAP.
Like your work though. LPro has been good so far but the android app would make life on the road so much easier.
Cheers HS.

Mr. Culiner,

For years now we've been hearing that the next version of Logbook Pro has priority and when that's done you'll get onto broadening your mobile support base into things like the Iphone. Frankly I've always thought Logbook Pro worked fine and since as a professional pilot its purpose is primarily archival the updates aren't that important to me.

What is important is finding a way to get away from keeping my Old and deactivated windows smart phone in my flight bag just for the logbook function. I'm not sure how your customer base breaks down (airline vs. corporate vs GA) but I'd bve willing to bet if you surveyed the APDL customer base most of us are airline guys and most of us want the ability to use APDL on the phone of our choosing.

A company prospers when it meets the needs of its customer base and for years now you have seemingly ignored yours crying out for Iphone support etc. Perhaps putting Pro 2010 on the back shelf and committing yourself fully to the Iphone/Droid/ etc would be a wiser and far more profitable use of your resources.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your feedback. Hopefully you're getting our newsletters to stay informed with the latest development, etc. Please refer to the following KB article.

The next version of Logbook Pro is critical as it sets the architecture and foundation for all future apps including web, mobile web, mobile (PDA) etc. Believe me, there is a method to the madness, once we get the new foundation in place we have much greater capability across the board.
http://helpdesk.nc-software.com/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=115

Mr. Culiner,

For years now we've been hearing that the next version of Logbook Pro has priority and when that's done you'll get onto broadening your mobile support base into things like the Iphone. Frankly I've always thought Logbook Pro worked fine and since as a professional pilot its purpose is primarily archival the updates aren't that important to me.

What is important is finding a way to get away from keeping my Old and deactivated windows smart phone in my flight bag just for the logbook function. I'm not sure how your customer base breaks down (airline vs. corporate vs GA) but I'd bve willing to bet if you surveyed the APDL customer base most of us are airline guys and most of us want the ability to use APDL on the phone of our choosing.

A company prospers when it meets the needs of its customer base and for years now you have seemingly ignored yours crying out for Iphone support etc. Perhaps putting Pro 2010 on the back shelf and committing yourself fully to the Iphone/Droid/ etc would be a wiser and far more profitable use of your resources.

Great point! In the mean time, keep flooding those people at 2nd City Software. They put out an APDL type app for iphone (again, 4 years late on that), but maybe they can get an android version soon as we are hitting a dead end here. Here's the link. 2nd City Software :: Support

It's all smoke and mirrors, They have been working on LogBook Pro 2.0 for over five years now they dont wont to let go of old tech. PPC and palm are dead operating systems you cant even find a PPC any more if you can it will cost u 500 to 600 bucks. thats my 2 cents

Just wanted to add another request to Android OS support. Don't know if you have a survey site for this, but I would love to see Android support. I'm an airline pilot that would like to update my logbook after getting back from trips.

Best of luck with your 2010 release!

Writing this from my EVO. Android support for APDL is a must. I've been carrying a separate PPC just for APDL and its getting really old. I see that the IPhone is supported now, but I'd bet there are, or soon will be, more Android phones than iPhones. Also, make sure that when it does come out you give the screen a flexible format. Android phones have a large variety of screen shapes and resolutions, not to mention landscape modes. A fixed format would be useless on many phones. Kind of like how the WM5 version didn't fit on my Treo screen by one pixel and thus caused scroll bars to pop up and make the interface really useless. Something that automatically fits itself into the existing real estate, plus pinch zoom and touch scroll for users who want to take a closer look would be perfect.

I have been a Logbook Pro & APDL Palm owner since 2004, & APDL PPC owner since 2008 and I’m still carrying around my old deactivated PPC because I now own a Android phone.

I would estimate that 20-30% of our 2200+ pilots carry iPhones and many other pilots are now buying the Android phones and both groups desperately want both versions of APDL available!!

I'll add my voice here as well. I'm shopping for a new phone and want to get one on the Android OS and was very disappointed to hear that one isn't in the works. I've been using APDL since 2000 and was one of Paul Auman's beta testers. I say this only to let you know that I'm invested in this software and it is all I've ever used. I hope that support for the Android OS will move up the priority chain, because I really don't want to have to carry an old, outdated phone around just to have APDL with me.

I'll add another call for Android OS support. I'm still lugging around and using a Windows platform on an old Palm Treo 700wx since I need it for APDL.
However, I'm at the point where I will just throw the Treo in the kitbag and use it for logbook functions only. I've been shopping around the iphone and the Evo Adroid phone... and based upon what the tech industry is saying, the android OS is going to be the one to explode over the iphone. So, I am leaning towards the Evo and Android.
If NC Software is planning to add support for the android OS with APDL then I'll do as others have been and get a more useful phone and relegate the windows brick to logbook duty until the adroid version comes out.
How long are we talking before an android version becomes available?

Back