Import Question

Paul Harris

Neal,

Thank you for your prompt reply to my first post, and thank you for your accessibility. This will undoubtedly lead me into your camp.

However, I have a couple of questions concerning an import attempt, because believe it or not, I have forty years of flying in an Excel spreadsheet.

I was impressed to find that the field assignments accounted for separate FROM and TO airports, but I am still hesitant about both airports in a single routing field. Can I query or filter the logbook to find out how many times or how recently I have landed in DCA?

My spreadsheet had OUT and IN in a date-time format, but I had to duplicate the OUT field to import into the DATE field as well. No big deal, but allowing a field on the source to be imported into more than one field would have been less work.

I also linked the DURATION field to a Time field in the spreadsheet, but after the import the DURATION field was empty. I thought, perhaps, that auto-calculation of that field might be interferring, but found no way to turn it off, only change the source from OUT/IN to OFF/LAND. Or, after importing the OUT and IN times, is there a way to have the DURATION calculated from them without having to select and save each record? Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the camp, marshmellows tonight? /forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Querying specific to DCA, no, but the route, yes. Now, what I'm not sure of, and maybe Jeff can answer this, the Route Browser from FlightCentral may be able to tell you this information. Go to www.logbookpro.com and click the Route Browser link, or, from within Logbook Pro it's under the Add-Ins menu. Jeff can probably help you on this, he developed that product that links into Logbook Pro and as crafty as he is, I bet it will give you the info you are looking for.

The Duration 'should' import the time field IF you specified the source format on the first step of the Import Wizard (are you a good pilot using 1.9.3 the latest version???) If you are not using 1.9.3, that's the problem, there was a 'feature' issue in 1.9.0 and earlier, so get the latest, give it another shot, and see if that resolves the issue. If not, shoot me your data (winzipped please) to support@nc-software.com OR use your Excel magic to create a formula, convert the times, propogate the formula against all rows and you'll have your data. I don't think you need to do this, Logbook Pro should be able to handle this.

Was Excel around 40 years ago? /forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Great to have you on the team...welcome!

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

>>The Duration 'should' import the time field IF you specified the source format on the first step of the Import Wizard (are you a good pilot using 1.9.3 the latest version???)

Yes, brand new trial download, though not registered yet. Sending you the tab delimited text file for review.

>>Was Excel around 40 years ago? /forums/emoticons/smile.gif

If only!

Paul

i have been flying since 1978- i have use flitelog for years but have lost the program disk - i have the flight on floppy but cannot get them into flightlo pro.. mos t of the time the entire program just shuts down when i try to import or update... /forums/emoticons/frown.gif i paid for the program based on the reviews i read but even trying to put it into excel the to flightlog pro won't work /forums/emoticons/angryfire.gif what am i doing wrong??? thanks for any help -- i am new to this forum stuff.. usually i call a 1800 # so i can work through the problem in real time and can explain what is going on step by step help/forums/emoticons/smile.gif -- also at the bottom of this page it say, ' submit a reply' but i am really trying to submit a request for help/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Hi Neal,
Im new to Logbook Pro, just like Paul. But I do like Marsmellows /forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I,ve got the same problem importing files (from the AirlineLogbook.)

The Duration only calculates if the import is made with decimal (witch put the decimal in the wrong place).
When I import using hh:mm format, the Duration does not calculate.

Another annoying flaw, is that the dates get mixed up.

When I import April, the first few flights register as 2004 11 03 ISO 2003 04 11

Flights after, the first 12 flights are dated correctly

I,m using XP Home, european setup (date/time)
Logbook pro 1.9.3 evaluation
Palm Vx Os 3.5.3
Airline Logbok v 4.0

For the wishlist, I,d like to have the flightnumbers imported as well.

Cheers
Peter

I reviewed the CSV file and it looks fine with the exception of one Ident (IIRC) empty.

Have you reattempted an import? Let me know if this still isn't working for you, I don't see why it wouldn't, using 1.9.4.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Neal,
Thanks for your quick reply.

I think I´ve tried every possible Time/Date setting when importing the files (no, I have´nt changed the computer settings).

The problem remains the same, exept if I import in decimal.
Whem decimal is used, the log calculates correctly, but every hour is loged as 10 hours (decimal in wrong position)

I think that the exeption you noted, is a deadhead flight.

Is there a downloadable v 1.9.4?

Cheers
Peter

Confirm you are NOT using 1.9.4? This may be resolved if you do install the latest version, which should always be the first step prior to submitting a support question, as a bug may have been fixed.

Yes, you can always download Logbook Pro's latest edition from the download link on the Logbook Pro web site.

If you still cannot get a successful import, e-mail support@nc-software.com and include the file you are trying to import, Winzip compressed.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Ooops!
My fault /forums/emoticons/eek.gif

I am in fact using v 1.9.4, must have had a major brain disconnect /forums/emoticons/confused.gif

Well, I tried to be a little less stubborn, & changed my computers settings to 'English USA', & Voila!

Everything works like a charm.

But, I think it would be really nice if I did'nt have to do this for every import.

Maybe something to work on for the next release.

By the way, is there a way to get flightnumber in a column before the 'from-To' (location) columns in the Jeppesen style custom templates?

Cheers
Peter

E-mail support@nc-software.com the file you are importing and the regional (country) setting you had and I'll note this in the event another release of 1.x comes out, which is not planned at this time.

Glad you got it working.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Back