Logbook Pro keeps closing down

Jay Chandler

Hi,

I am a registered user of Logbook Pro, running version 1.9.8.1 on a pentium 4 machine with a GeoForce FX5900 video card driving a flat panel monitor at resolution 1280*720 (wide screen).
After upgrading to version 1.9.8.1, everytime I select any of the reporting options, or menu options from the task bar Logbook Pro automatically and immediately closes. This also happens when selecting any of the calendar options when trying to complete history items etc.
A quick solution would be appreciated as the program is unusable like this.

Regards
Jay Chandler

Hi Jay,

Please try running a REPAIR on your installation. You can do so by going to the Windows Control Panel, Add/Remove programs area, then click the option to remove Logbook Pro. However, on the first screen, choose the REPAIR not remove option. Reboot and retry.

NCSoftwareSignature.gif

Hi Neal,
Have tried that but it makes no difference - when selecting ANY menu option after the program has loaded and displayed the flight log screen, the program immediately closes. I have also noticed that the minimise button does not appear to function either.

Regards
Jay

Jay,

I suggest uninstalling. Download the 1.9.8.1 full installer from the download menu on the left. After uninstalling Logbook Pro, reboot. Go into Windows Explorer and rename C:\Program Files\Logbook Pro to C:\Program Files\Logbook Pro_OLD and then install 1.9.8.1 again.

Backup your data file first if you can. If not, find your .LBK file and make a copy of it for safe keeping.

NCSoftwareSignature.gif

Already done all of that once having read previous installation issues, but will try it again!!! - It's 1:15am where I am now so will have another go tomorrow!!

Regards and thanks for the extremely prompt responses

Jay

Hi
I'm currently running an evaluation program 1.9.8.1 and although very impressed with the whole package am also experiencing very similar problems as Jay! Program closes down with varous selections including some report functions, date selections when entering data in spreadsheet view etc etc. I will try the reinstall as well.

Hi Neal,

I think I have isolated the problem down to an incompatability with the graphics card. Having tried all the re-install options without success, I then disabled all the additional functions provided by the graphics card drivers and this seems to have fixed the problem.

For your info, the graphics card is an Nvidia GeoForce FX5900 AGP card with 128mb Ram on board and I am using the latest driver downloaded from the Nvidia site. It offers lots of additional options (two monitors, window spanning,multiple desktops etc etc), but having disabled all the additional options, Logbook Pro now seems to function again without closing down.

Regrads

Jay

Jay,

Thanks for the info. Can you help me narrow the offending portions of the program? Is it just reports, or is it charts/graphs, or pretty much anywhere in use of the program. If you can help me isolate the area of Logbook Pro, I can take this to the engineers of the respective section for possible resolution.

NCSoftwareSignature.gif

In my case it closed when attempting to select any item after the program had initially opened and displayed the spreadsheet file log container. Trying to select ANY menu item or button on any of the task bars caused the program to shut down.

Regards
Jay

Hi Neal,

I have also noticed that the browser function doesn't appear to work - although I am definately connected to the internet (I am writing this in Internet Explorer but have LBPro open also), when i try and use any of the internet menu options from inside LBPro I just get a blank container and no internet window opens within LBPro.

Additionally I have noticed that many areas within LBPro no longer seem to update as you make changes - specifically - the history section - if you add a history item in the history options dialog with a time frame say of 12 months and have the eom box ticked, then go to the history section and add the item with a valid date, it calculates the due date correctly - however now go back to the options area and remove the EOM check, return to the history page, select refresh - nothing happens. The info can only be refreshed by re selecting the initial date and moving to another field - this then refreshes the due date info.
Similarly with currency items - if changes are made to any of the currency dates, the only way I have discovered to get the currency flyout options and report to refresh and update is to close the program and re open it.

Regards
Jay

Another problem for you!! - When I close Logbook Pro, windows doesnt seem to recognise that the program has been closed, and if I try and re open the program, even after several hours, I get an error message saying that LBPro is still running and only 1 instance can run at a time. LBPro is not listed in the windows task manager as being open and it is not listed in the processes dialog, however the only way I can re open the program is to re boot windows.

Regards

Jay

Sorry - some mis information in the above post - it should read - Logbook Pro is NOT listed in the running applications dialog of the task manager, however Logbook.exe IS shown in the processes dialog, but clicking the end process button has no effect and I am unable to terminate the process without re booting the system.

As an aside - is the previous version of Logbook Pro still available for download anywhere on the site (I have deleted all my old installer versions). I had absolutely no problems with the previous versions so I am thinking of reverting back to tried and trusted as it appears that version 1.9.8.1 may have been released a little too soon??

regards
Jay

Hello Jay,

I know no one likes to hear this, but I don't think the issue is with Logbook Pro but your Windows/Operating System. I would try first to uninstall Logbook Pro, reboot, rename C:\Program Files\Logbook Pro to C:\Program Files\Logbook Pro_OLD then reinstall 1.9.8.1. Old versions are not maintained, only the latest version is supported/maintained. I'm sure if you tried Logbook Pro 1.9.8.1 on another computer you would not see these issues. With respect to your video card information, I believe you could also have driver issues on your system which makes me believe more it's a problem on your Windows system and not Logbook Pro.

I wish I had more to offer, but with so many things affecting Windows and our computers these days from virus software, spyware software, many applications installed which any one of those, if not following proper installer techniques to ensure proper versions of shared DLL's are not violated, etc. can all have an impact on other applications. When a new version of Logbook Pro is released, it is tested on EVERY operating system supported prior to public release. These are clean build operating systems therefore there are no offending applications that may cause problems. This is part of the certification/quality assurance process prior to every release.

NCSoftwareSignature.gif

<v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">
Jay said...

I think I have isolated the problem down to an incompatability with the graphics card. Having tried all the re-install options without success, I then disabled all the additional functions provided by the graphics card drivers and this seems to have fixed the problem.

For your info, the graphics card is an Nvidia GeoForce FX5900 AGP card with 128mb Ram on board and I am using the latest driver downloaded from the Nvidia site. It offers lots of additional options (two monitors, window spanning,multiple desktops etc etc), but having disabled all the additional options, Logbook Pro now seems to function again without closing down.
I too had same problem, if trying to access the forum thru the program with the spreadsheet open the program would lock up with a white screen where theinternet window should be. Im using a Fx5600 ultra card and had the Nvidia NVIEW program running same as Jay. After switching NVIEW options off the Logbookpro seems to be working fine. </v:shapetype>

Back