Relocating logbook database

RGreenfield

Greetings!

I'm new to LB Pro, and have recommended your product to several flight instructors, and to the FBO/Flight School where I am pursuing my IFR ticket currently! Keep up the great work!

My question is about the location of the Logbook Pro database. I initially installed the software to the default location, and used the same for the logbook database file itself. Now that I have actually purchased it, I would like to relocate the logbook database to a separate folder area (i.e. "My Documents\My Databases\FlightLog\"). Is there a way to move the database, and then repoint Logbook Pro to that location? Same thing with moving backups around... any way to do it and have it remember the new location?

I'm also concerned about this as I want to install the upgrade that just came out, and it says I need to uninstall the product before installing the update. I don't want to leave the logbook database where it is as I don't want to risk its accidental deletion in the future. I archive things off to DVD backups, but it's nice to not have to worry about that sort of thing.

It would be nice to have a "Relocate Database" or "Move Database" feature so the program could move the file around and reassociate the backup pathing to the new area in one fell swoop.

Thanks in advance for your help! Not sure if I'm asking something that is already able to be done via the menuing system that I just didn't find yet or not...pardon the query if so.

Sincerely,

Bob

Hello Bob,

Click File...Save As and this is a MOVE operation. Backups can be archived to any desired location and a backup should be created prior to uninstalling/upgrading/importing, etc. When backing up, always backup to your hard drive/floppy, but not directly to CD media. You can use an external program to copy the .BAK file to CD/DVD media outside Logbook Pro.

NCSoftwareSignature.gif

Thank you Neal!

I appreciate the quick response! I was under the impression the 'Save as' would make an additional copy and not necessarily repoint the application, hence the confusion.

Sincerely,

Bob

Neal,
As you recommended, I moved my logbook files around, uninstalled the 1.9.6 version of Logbook Pro, then installed the 1.9.6.5 upgrade. All seems to be working with the software except the syncing with the Pocket PC PDA. It keeps complaining about not being able to find the logbook file, and keeps thinking it's in the default location.
Am I out of luck and need to move my logbook back where it was, or is there a fix for this?
Many thanks!
Sincerely,
Bob
P.S. The 1.9.6.5 update looks awesome! Great job on all the fixes and enhancements! :)
NC Software said...
Hello Bob,

Click File...Save As and this is a MOVE operation. Backups can be archived to any desired location and a backup should be created prior to uninstalling/upgrading/importing, etc. When backing up, always backup to your hard drive/floppy, but not directly to CD media. You can use an external program to copy the .BAK file to CD/DVD media outside Logbook Pro.

Thank you for the compliments on the new version. Remove Logbook Pro from the cradle, open Logbook Pro, open the options, close the options, close Logbook Pro. Re-cradle the pocket pc and see if that corrects the issue. When Logbook Pro starts up, it should be telling your computer where the data file is located and update it for PDA operations. Was it working fine prior to move. Did you update the PPC to 1.9.6?

There is a common error where people are getting 'database not found' errors. I am researching this issue and hope to have an update to resolve it soon. It is partially related to the new version of ActiveSync 3.7.1 and 3.7 does/did not have this issue. You may want to try finding the older version and see if that works.

NCSoftwareSignature.gif

Neal,

Thanks again for the quick reply. I can't go back to the older version of ActiveSync as it caused other problems with my Dell AXIM 5 and the software load I have on it currently. I started out with the 1.9.6 version as my trial/purchase baseline version, so it was the install image on the PC and the PPC.

I had the PPC undocked during the install of 1.9.6.5 and then re-docked afterwards. It didn't say anything about updating the PPC interface, but I may have missed that in the way of any messages that flew by. Prior to installing the update, my PPC synced fine. One problem here is that I did the database move and the upgrade in the same session, without trying a sync between the operations, so I don't know if the PPC otherwise recognized the move prior to the 1.9.6.5 update.

If there is anything you need from me to help resolve this, please let me know. I did find out, fyi, that the Dell Portable Keyboard Driver is incompatible with Windows Mobile 2003. It seems to be a software interrupt that causes the power-on button to disable. Not loading the Dell PK Driver solves that issue, however. Not sure if you have had people with that problem bring it up to you before. I don't know if Dell has an update out for that yet.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know when I have something to test. Try sync'ing after following the steps I described. If worse comes to worse, uninstall from the PPC and delete your ActiveSync partnership. Make sure Logbook Pro folder is removed from under \Program Files (make sure Logbook Pro is not in the running programs area), then try to reinstall. If you have any flight data on the PPC, write it down first.

NCSoftwareSignature.gif

Neal,

Thanks. Wilco. Just to clarify, are you saying I should go into the options on the Desktop PC, or on the PPC in your above instructions?

Sorry.. should have asked that in my other post

Bob

Gotcha. Thanks again! :) Will let you know how this turns out. I should be home to give it a shot in a couple of hours or so.

Sincerely,

Bob

Just an update... sorry it took so long, but I've been swamped.

I got my PPC to update again. I didn't have to delete the entire ActiveSync Partnership, but I did have to uninstall and re-install the PPC companion. It seems that whatever code is in there to force it to look in the new location wasn't working as expected... at least not in my situation.

Everything seems to be going as expected now, but will know more this weekend when I fly again and have more to log.

Thanks for your help, and a really super product! I love using LB Pro!!

Back