Simulator Vs Aircraft Time?

smiley

Is there a way to get just simulator/aircraft time in the reports or the summarizer bar? (or both?!) I've used the analyzer to get this information, but is there a quicker way? IE. the summarizer bar using the current filter settings? A report based on Aircraft Vs Simulator. Can you save different analyzer settings and set up a shortcut (drop down arrow) to your different queries? Or am I blind and missing a feature that's already included!

Along the same lines / is there a better way to set up aircraft vs sim. I set mine up like the example logbook - kc135 and kc135 sim (with autofill of simulator time). Also - why when you check the sim 'box' in the aircraft options does this not automatically happen anyway?

Don't let my question's make you think I don't LOVE this program. So far, it far exceeds my expectations/needs, and is super easy to use. This is just one of the main 'complaints' I have about the program.

If I might add a couple more suggestions (very minor and probably not needed by many - just what I've seen in my use). Would it be possible (i know it would be a little slower) to use the spreadsheet style by default - but when you double click a line or click a button - it brings up the windows style dialog. To me this would make more sense and be more user friendly - easy searching/scanning of flights- one click access to all the info on one screen.

ONe other - would it be possible to add a custom 'floating counter' or allow decimals. right now I use a custom expense field - but it would be nice if it didn't have to have a $ attached to it.

Once again - this is a great product and I'm still tapping the capabilities. Thanks for all the work/time you put into the program!!

Hello,

As you know, there are many ways to do things in Logbook Pro. The Analyzer is a very powerful tool, but there are also a lot of reports that may fit your needs.

I'm not exactly clear on what you are looking for with the aircraft/simulator information, but I suggest taking a look at two reports, to see if either of these fill your requirement:

• Click Reports...Aircraft...Aircraft Configuration Totals Summary
  • Click Reports...Flight Log...Flight Log Summary...Grand Totals (or one of the others in this group)

I encourage feedback, so don't feel bad outlining things you'd like to see better. If you (and others) don't, then Logbook Pro would never improve! Your feedback is welcome, good or bad.

I understand your suggestions of the Spreadsheet to Windows Style log interface, I'll add this to the suggestion list for review.

There isn't a way of the floating counter suggestion in the current version, but it is planned for version 2, in development.

Hopefully this helps you out. Check out the many reports and you may find an alternate method to find the data you are seeking.
</div>

NCSoftwareSignature.gif

Post Edited (NC Software) : 8/22/2003 5:09:08 PM GMT

Thanks for the quick reply!

What I'm trying to do is get a report that differentiates between aircraft time and simulator time. All the reports I've tried put out a total 'airplane' category time that includes the simulator time. The Aircraft Configuration Summary splits up the different aircraft so I could manually get the aircraft time - but thought it should be included in the report. IE Total aircraft (all actual airplanes) and total simulator time.

The Flight Log Summary reports can split up the different aircraft kc135 vs kc135 sim vs t1 vs t1 sim. But it doesn't give me a total aircraft time/sim time either. (in the grand totals box, the total time includes sim time with a simulator time field. It doesn't allow you to split up any other fields based on simulator or not IE sim approaches vs aircraft approaches.)

The only way I've found to get this info is through the analyzer - just deselect the 'aircraft make and model' sims, and there's the info. If it could be sent to a report, or a filter set on a report that takes out either aircraft or sim, that would be cool.

The other thought I had was in the spreadsheet view, you've already got a 'visible data' filter that takes allows you to see just 'flights', 'simulator', or both. If this filter could be tied to the reports and/or the summary bar at the bottom that would take care of the problem as well. IE, when 'Flights' is selected you get summary bar data for just 'Flights' not Simulators. Right now there's no change in the summary bar.

The last thing is in the aircraft configuration you have a column (check box) that allows you to select Simulator, but it doesn't seem to have an effect on anything. When I first put my data in I had a check box for simulator - I converted these all to the 'aircraft' I had checked as simulators, but this didn't classify them as simulator events. It wasn't until I went through and filled in the 'simulator' time field with the duration that it realized those were simulator flights.

I hope this muddled mess clears up what I'm trying to do. /forums/emoticons/wink.gif

Thanks again for the help.

Hello,

Well I'd be lying if I didn't say I was still confused, however, I think you know what's available in Logbook Pro as you sound proficient with the program. With that said, I can only take your suggestions, and any examples you can provide, and apply that towards the version 2 development.

The checkbox for Sim in the Options...Aircraft area doesn't do anything, it's obsolete.

Hope you can find the answer to your needs. Thanks for using this forum so others can learn.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

I'll give it one last shot!

I have 396 total flights.
1513.4 hours.
228.1 simulator hours.
116.1 night.
838.3 primary (custom time) - how much is sim?
371.4 secondary (custom time) - how much is sim?
526 various approaches. - how much is sim?
Etc....

This info is as far as I can split up my simulator vs flight time.
The 1513.4 includes the 228.1 sim time. Easy enough to take that out. But where I can't split up the info so easy is in the extra time/approach/custom fields. My custom time fields are for my AF time (pri, sec, oth). How can I get those time fields (approach, etc..) split up by flight versus sim. If I run the 'Logbook Summary by type' I can look at the different aircraft and get totals for each, but thought there should be a way to get the program to do it.

The other aspect would be the summary bar. How can I get a 30/60/90 report (or info on the summary bar) for just my flights and not my sim time? IE - Hours (12.4/44.7/84.2) - this includes my sim time. How much of this is just my flight time?

Hope this is a good example.

I understand what you are looking for now, see, an example is worth...

The only way to get this information is the Analyzer. Using the filter capability, you can set, and probably the best way to do it, Simulator into the master filter, then you have a break down across the board of your data. You could also do, as you mentioned earlier, use the Spreadsheet Style log and the filter bar, then EXPORT the data to Excel and take it from there.

Your second inquiry, the summary bar shows the sum of the Duration field. So if you don't count Sim as your Duration, which most do NOT now, then the summary bar WILL show you the data that is NOT simulator.

Hope this helps. You are proficient with Logbook Pro, so I'm comfortable with your analysis and use of the program. Good job!

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

OK

That makes sense, just one other question - what about flights logged? Does it count the number of entries, or the legs? IE if I wanted to see how many of the 396 flights were actual flights could I set all my simulator flights to 0 legs? Or is there a different way? If this is the way how would one go about finding out how many sim flights? The analyzer obviously - would there be another way?

Once again thanks for the help!

Hello,

Well I'd be lying if I didn't say I was still confused, however, I think you know what's available in Logbook Pro as you sound proficient with the program. With that said, I can only take your suggestions, and any examples you can provide, and apply that towards the version 2 development.

The checkbox for Sim in the Options...Aircraft area doesn't do anything, it's obsolete.

Hope you can find the answer to your needs. Thanks for using this forum so others can learn.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Neal,

Is there a reason you made the checkbox for Sim in Options obsolete? It would be far preferable to have this as the flag for whether an event was a sim or an aircraft as opposed to having to enter a time in the simulator hours column.

I know that you can auto fill the simulator hours with the duration but it is an extra column of data in the logbook which is not required.

Regards,

Simon Ozanne

Is there a reason you made the checkbox for Sim in Options obsolete?

When Logbook Pro was designed, it was assumed people would log a Duration for simulator flights. After the feedback that not everyone logs Duration for SIM flights we had to use the SIM time column to determine if the log entry was a sim vice the sim checkbox. We are looking at a new concept, such as you describe, for v2.

Back