BlackBerry Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackberry Support

I also would like to see blackberry support. Our flight department is getting blackberries, so we really need this to happen. This should be a top priority!!

Hello Folks,

I just wanted to be honest and up front with you, we do not have any plans or intentions of supporting the BlackBerry device any time soon. We only support the Palm OS and Windows Mobile platforms.

For a combination phone/PDA I suggest the Treo devices.

Unfortunately, companies dictate what we use. I guess having to carry two devices is the only option. Disappointing but appreciate the candor.

You're kidding, right? You're ignoring one of the most popular personal organizers / communicators.

How much do we, as the end user, have to pay for you to seriously consider this?

Hello Folks,

I just wanted to be honest and up front with you, we do not have any plans or intentions of supporting the BlackBerry device any time soon. We only support the Palm OS and Windows Mobile platforms.

For a combination phone/PDA I suggest the Treo devices.

Blackberry please!

Thanks for the post, Neil...I am a mac user, but do understand that the Iphone isn't in the cards for you right now.

Blackberry, however, even though it may not be in your eyes a viable option, is VERY widely used with corporate, fractional, and other charter type organizations. I don't think it's going away anytime soon, and would serve your customers well. One suggestion: Poll your customers, see what the response is, and then you can offer seperate purchase options for PDA support. If Blackberry users want Blackberry support, then they'll pay for it (I know I would upgrade) and there you can generate revenue for the cause.

Please don't give up on Blackberry. Too many organizations are standardized on it.

would like to express my dissapointment also that there is no functionality for the blackberry..i think its a great idea for you to survey your customers about this...my company is going from treo to blackberry also

would like to express my dissapointment also that there is no functionality for the blackberry..i think its a great idea for you to survey your customers about this...my company is going from treo to blackberry also
Same here - and as much as I love your program will be switching to a non-compatible format soon as my treo is getting way to old and out of date. Blackberry is the defacto standard in the business world. Guess I have to create my own logbook like in the days before APDL :(

Hello,

We hope to have a BlackBerry solution this coming year. I beg to differ on the what is the defacto standard as you are not covering what the BlackBerry is used for. How many third party programs do BlackBerry owners put on their BB? Most likely none as they just aren't available. Companies use BlackBerries for one thing only, communication, not logging any other data. They need you to get their messages, BlackBerry IS the best system for that. For anything else, I beg to differ, this is why the Treo is the preferred PDA/Phone device because third party vendors can effectively develop an application for it. I personally have been waiting to pick up a BlackBerry Curve for my personal use but both Sprint and Verizon still don't offer it. I could go into the why's as well as why BlackBerry is the minority seller for these companies. The Treo has and always will outsell the BlackBerry for people that want to use it for OTHER than communication. So again, before anyone makes a case for the BlackBerry being the most popular, the defacto standard, on and on, you are totally leaving out the WHY this device is used in the first place.

Hang in there, we are planning to cover both iPhone and BlackBerry in our upcoming venture. We just cannot talk about it at this time.

Yes and no. Yes, you may be right that Blackberrys are not used to store data but the fact remains that phones are primarily used as a communication device. The Treo was revolutionary in that one could eliminate having two or three independent devices to lug around. Now for the business world - Blackberrys have become a necessity and not a luxury item. Some of us then face the decision to:
A: Carry a PDA and a Blackberry
B: Carry a Blackberry only and return to the old school way of logging times/use web based logs as is currently available by my company
C: Ignore the company's directive and pay my own bills and pay for a new Smart phone out of my own pocket and not be able to communicate with the company.

Chicken or the egg? Do you purchase the hardware based on software availability or do you purchase the best hardware for your use and find applicable software that works with the device you purchased?

By the way: thank you for the response and I understand the work load it would require and the technical obstacles that may prevent it from happening - it was just a wish and a deep "sigh" - not a complaint (sorry if it was interpreted as such.)

Neal,

Thank you for pursuing the Blackberry platform. I think you will be rewarded by your customer base given the growing popularity of the BB line. Palm has not been updating it OS platform and seems to be moving to the WM platform for its Treo line. I agonized long about switching to a BB smartphone. I could not justify the Treo phone for just APDL (your program was my sole reason to consider a Treo). WM is likewise bulky and its phones currently not great. The BB is best currently. More third party apps are coming for BB. You and your predecessor have capitalized well on the Palm platform. I wish you greater success with BB. I would be willing to help beta test the APDL BB version. Thank you again.

Dasher

Neal, this is great. I think your other customers will respond favorably to this. Right now I'm logging my hours in a text file on my BlackBerry. Being able to dump flight data directly into the PC version of LogBook Pro, rather than manually entering it, would be a huge time saver.

Hello,

We hope to have a BlackBerry solution this coming year. I beg to differ on the what is the defacto standard as you are not covering what the BlackBerry is used for. How many third party programs do BlackBerry owners put on their BB? Most likely none as they just aren't available. Companies use BlackBerries for one thing only, communication, not logging any other data. They need you to get their messages, BlackBerry IS the best system for that. For anything else, I beg to differ, this is why the Treo is the preferred PDA/Phone device because third party vendors can effectively develop an application for it. I personally have been waiting to pick up a BlackBerry Curve for my personal use but both Sprint and Verizon still don't offer it. I could go into the why's as well as why BlackBerry is the minority seller for these companies. The Treo has and always will outsell the BlackBerry for people that want to use it for OTHER than communication. So again, before anyone makes a case for the BlackBerry being the most popular, the defacto standard, on and on, you are totally leaving out the WHY this device is used in the first place.

Hang in there, we are planning to cover both iPhone and BlackBerry in our upcoming venture. We just cannot talk about it at this time.

any updates?

Hello,

This seems to be the most viewed or most replied to Blackberry compatibility forum post. I've noticed that the last post by NC was in January 08, it is now almost June and was wondering if there is an update on the blackberry/iphone compatibility progress.

Max

Will buy with BlackBerry support, won't if not. I have, but don't use, 4-yr-old PC version because it's not "mobile" enough. Have a BB Curve with internet. Why not just use the web (configured for mobile), and any PDA w/ data plan can use? Hope this is what you're "up" to and can't talk about. Any updates?

Any news on the availability of the software for Black Berry use? Summer's almost over.

I am considering going electronic with my logbook. I won't but a product that isn't compatible with it. Any word on the progress? Will the new version have it? What is the timeframe?

Just want to add my “two bits” worth. Currently evaluating “Logbook Pro” and “Safelog”. From what I can tell, Logbook is the superior program (looks more polished and seems easier to use). However, the Blackberry compatibility that Safelog is offering is very enticing.

I cannot encourage you enough to have your development team continue with a Blackberry option.

It appears the last note from NC regarding Blackberrys or iphones was 1/08. Has there been any progress or info in this area. Thank you for all of your work.

I just purchased the BlackBerry Storm. I was really getting tired of my Palm Treo 700 (keeps freezing up and is very old technology). I held on to the palm about 1 year longer than I should have. The only reason I didn't leave it sooner was because of the APDL on it. But I just can't take it anymore. Palm sucks compared to Blackberry/iphone (and millions agree with me).

I would love for you to develope a way for me to use the Storm to log hours (either via APDL or some web-based app). I would even consider paying for some type of subscription if it were reasonably priced ($30/year ish).

Neil, earlier you stated; "How many third party programs do BlackBerry owners put on their BB? Most likely none as they just aren't available." To me, this question is the "moot" point here. It's not about what's available, it's about who is using them. MILLIONS are switching from palm to Blackberry/iphone -- I am one of them. Palm may have many programs available, but they are WAAAAY behind the times. Please don't make me switch to safelog! I love LBP. But I will -- soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back