Android?

Vote for Droid

Finally, it's over. Six years of dealing with Sprint and Palm Treos--dropped calls, standing on the wall on the back porch of the house to get a signal to talk, waiting for the Palm's mysterious sudden "reset" to clear itself, sync'd yestereday won't sync today events, "what is this phone doing now?" weekly routine...

Android coming! But what is it if not an APDL replacement?

I was happy to see in the Sept newsletter that Android support has been moved up on the priority list. But the newsletter also seems to say that we will still need our old PPCs. If this Android support you speak of does not replace APDL then what the heck does it do? Am I to understand that the iPhone/iPad thing is not APDL worthy either? Pardon my frustration, but APDL for Android is what we need, unless you are just targeting the GA market...and it appears that this is at the far end of your priority list.

Please...let me retire this dinosaur. LBP is great, but without a usable mobile partner app for airline pilots I will be be going back to a spreadsheet.

I agree I am now moving on from logbook pro to an android based logbook. I would advise anyone interested in an android based app to check the android market there are some great logbook apps there. Cant wait forever for apdl android.

I also wonder about the number of airline pilots with an old Trio velcroed to the inside of their flight case. Thats what I have been doing. Just one more charger to carry on the road. If not supported soon, one less customer.

One more vote to get the Android run APDL up and running. I'm sick of having to carry a Palm Pilot around.....

1 more vote for APDL for Android. I will not carry my TREO for the rest of my career just to keep my logbook up to date. I continually search for a different logbook program and will make the switch as soon as one becomes available.

Well, I made the switch. Sporting a new Evo as of 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately, that means I've also joined the ranks of those that are lugging around their old, deactivated windows-based phone. Sure hope APDL for Android doesn't take much beyond mid of next year.

Regarding the sale of iphone vs. Android phones, it eclipsed iphone in August. In comparison to the previous year's quarter, sales increased 886%. Seems Android would have been the better platform to invest time and resources in developing.

Android Sales Overtake iPhone in the U.S.: Tech News «

Still carrying my Windows Mobile HTC touch pro and hating it... I have the Droid X, anxiously awaiting a DROID based APDL. I've spent the hours to digitaize my ENIRE logbook in your program and truly hope that I don't have to switch to a different product...

Cory,

"Logbook Pro for Android" is in development now and will match our iPhone app feature set. It is not APDL. APDL apps will come after Logbook Pro PC edition v2 is completed as it will align with our new architecture.

When the new Android app is completed it will be announced via our newsletter. If you're not subscribed you can subscribe here.

Well, that is disappointing. And it sounds like the wait is going to be long, which makes me wonder 1) how important APDL is to your product line, 2) how important your customers are to you...and 3) how long I can stand packing around my old phone before I just give up and start looking for another option...especially with the recent added fee for schedule importer (which I don't and won't use).

Cory (and others),

I wish I could do it all but we are a small rapidly growing company with huge demands such as yours. Software development is not a weekend project, APDL is a 6+ month project alone. We do it right or we don't do it all. I am hiring and those of you that contribute by buying our products and subscriptions will get a return on your investment as it allows me to hire. I published the development priorities here and I've discussed it in newsletters through the roadmap articles. I don't keep secrets, I keep you and everyone else in the know as to what's going on and what the priorities are.

I'm sorry you have to carry an extra device in your flight bag but as most do, they appreciate having APDL regardless of throwing an extra few ounces in a flight bag. They also don't mind paying $5 to use a schedule importer to save them a tremendous amount of time and offer such great capability, it doesn't get produced for free.

Many have begun using Logbook Pro on the iPhone and iPad and enjoy the schedule importer integration, calendar integration, FAR 121 and 135 features, and effortless cloud synchronization. I just checked the stats and we have crossed the 15,300 user mark in just a matter of 4 months!

I want you to find the product that works best for you Cory. I would love it to be something we sell and can continue to improve for you but if there is another product out there that best suits YOUR needs, please use it. I feel much better knowing you are using what's best for you. I am doing my best as are all that work for and with me, we cannot please everyone. It's the nature of the business. I have to cater to the entire globe and do what's best for all.

Thank you for your understanding.

Neal,
Obviously I don't know how many users of APDL (win/palm) are out there, but I will say that an android and iphone version of this software would be a HUGE seller. Almost everyone I know who carries red books to hand write their times, or an old brick with win/palm APDL on it also carries one of these 2 types of phones. Just as you developed (a decade ago), APDL for the 2 predominant mobile platforms, it is time to work on a new one, or you risk losing a fairly substantial customer base.

I for one will switch to the 1st android airline pilot tailored logbook software package I can find, and I'm willing to spend between $50-100, as long as it can do for the most part what APDL could do and export to a CSV so I can import it into LBP. So would you like my $ or should I spend it somewhere else?

Do a poll of your users, send out an email and put up a forum thread, I bet you could finance the project with prepaid subscriptions, offer it at say a 25-30% discount and guarantee a working product within 4-8 months, and voila, there's the cash flow to bring on the help that can bring this product to market. That or take out a loan, you will make the $ back. There's no doubt in my mind that you can sell 2000 "subscriptions" for this software. 2000*$75= $15k, not to mention the schedule importer residuals. So Neal, please bring this to market, or tell us when to expect it, and be specific.

Coz

Last edited:
Broke my windows phone, I have to get a new one.....only phones available that I will even look at are Android. Big problem for me, I don’t have a windows phone to "lug" around anymore as it does not work. What do I do now, buy 2 phones just to have logbook pro? I have an e-mail dating 1999 when I first bought logbook pro sent to me via a CD to install on my Windows 98 computer. Android is not a new platform anymore, I remember e-mailing you Neal almost 10 years ago while you tried over and over again to help me get a really old PALM running your software (we did). Don't let me down brother, get this thing cooked and sent out. I am starting to fly with guys who are switching back to the "red book", Don't lose your most loyal customers because you want perfection on an old platform. Thanx again and good luck!

Cory,

Logbook Pro for Android is nearly complete. I had hoped for a June release, I don't think it's going to make that as I am not going to short change the testing process, we need a little more time. I expect final release early July.

This is NOT APDL, this is Logbook Pro just like the iPhone app. The full on APDL for iPhone/Android will be at a later date.

Back