• Initial testing of Apple's iOS 27 release shows no issues with Logbook Pro or APDL. Follow this BLOG article for updates should anyone report issues.

Answered Auto Night doen't consistently calculate correctly with various airport code formats

Baxter

New member
Joined
Oct 21, 2021
Messages
2
I recently acquired the Android mobile platform to more easily log flights upon completion and to use the Auto Night calculation feature. I am catching up on logging from this previous year and have been using the ICAO format for my international destinations. The first 10 or so entries seem to be auto logging night just fine based on Out and In times slaved to UTC. All flights I am logging are based in UTC time. The flight in question should roughly have around 0.5-0.7 night logged in the beginning of the flight. When I log the flight under ICAO code city pairs EDDK-LTFM there is no auto night showing up. When I log it under IATA codes, CGN-IST, it calculates 0.5 night hours correctly. My previous flights logged in ICAO format have calculated correctly. What could be the cause for the inconsistency of the Auto-Night function not calculating correctly when the only thing changed is the airport code format?
 
We have a priority order of trying to find airport codes. There are duplicates between ICAO, IATA, FAA and we search CONUS first, OCONUS secondary. It sounds like you're code had a false hit in the airport database.
 
Thank you for the quick reply Neal. Is there any good work around for this as I would prefer to keep my logbook formats consistent. It doesn't really matter to me which format I go with as long as it can accurately calculate the times. Also me using ICAO format for international airports, I know there would be no duplicates to US airports as they are either all 3 letter or 4 letter starting with a "K". So I'm wondering if one in the LTFM is not in the database, as I have previous flights logged fine with EDDK code. LTFM is Istanbul Turkey but I think it is the newer of 2 major airports in Istanbul so maybe it isn't in the database, where IST represents the greater Istanbul airport area and thusly recognizes it. For now I will log this flight in the IATA 3 letter format so it logs correctly. Is there any sort of regular schedule where the Logbook Pro Database of airport codes gets updated? Thanks for your help.
 
ICAO (4 letter) should be good but if not found it could find a match International. If you determine the night value however you need to as a backup just manually add the night input.

Airlines use IATA so 3 letter codes will look at IATA match US, then FAA, then go to International if I remember the code pattern correctly.
 
Back
Top