Android?

Thanx for the fast reply as always, even if it has been 10 years since I needed to ask a question, a testament to your solid program. I have never used APDL, I remember before you owned it and tried it then, I am sure you have improved it. I am not familiar the I phone platform, so one last quick question. Will the Android be similar to the Widows based version? I am sure the answer is yes as I did read one of your newsletter from the past that stated you wanted to make all three (data entry) Logbook pro systems the same. Maybe someday I will try APDL again when you get it out for the droid. Kind regards.

Cory,

This forum is the APDL suggestions forum so I assumed that's what you were talking about. The interface will closely resemble the iPhone app. They have differences because they are different platforms (OS's) but they are effectively the same. You can view screenshots in the documentation or watch a few of the video tutorials to see what the iPhone app looks like, hence what the Android app will look like.

Oops! All I did was search "Android" and I clicked on this thread, didn't see where it was posting. Anyway's thanx for the info, I look forward to ANYTHING Android soon!

I moved to APDL on palm when it became an easier way to keep up with an overdemanding schedule long before it was associated with LBP, and was pleased later when it was intigrated into LBP making masterlog upkeep simpler as well.

The "new" android and iphone syncing is a poor excuse for a logbook program. It is, at most, an remote entry portal. NC software continues to use excuses to put off the requests of it's professional users, and I predict it will pay the price soon enough. As for the rapid increase in the install base. Many like me have installed, and uninstalled when faced by the shallow feature set of these mobile "logbooks."

Look around in the markets. Multiple solutions are growing out of need. No one asked for a remote input device, we want a AIRLINE LOGBOOK for our devices and until I am provided with something that replicates a decade old device's fuctionality, I am done spending real dollars on poor software.

Les

Les,

Thank you for your feedback, we know how important APDL is and we do hope to deliver an APDL app for Android in the future. As clearly stated on the Android Market and our web site, this app is NOT APDL, this app is Logbook Pro, a completely separate line of software. We have added quite a few features that cater to airline pilots and most love those features such as schedule importing calendar integration, FAR 121 and 135 reports, effortless and reliable sync, the list goes on. The app is free so you can see if it helps you until APDL arrives, if it doesn't work for you then hopefully there is something else that does work for you. We want nothing more than you to find and use the best logbook program that suits your needs.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is appreciated and we understand your passion for the unrivaled APDL product.

It's been 9 months since the last post here. I have made comments on your FB page, but figured I'd post here as well. Any time frame yet on APDL for android? Thank you.

Hello Sean,

Our last update was in the February newsletter, if you're not getting our newsletter you can subscribe here. To read the last development update click here. We'll have another update in an upcoming newsletter.

Straight answer to a very old thread would be nice.

Are there any plans for an APDL for Android? The newsletter update from October only addresses IOS.

More than half the pilots I see in my cockpits are using android based phones and apps. With FAR 117 going active today, they all need something better than the ALPA app. to address FAR 117's look back in hours instead of days.

The Android Mobile version you offer doesn't quite fit for airline flying very well. Like others I don't want to run multiple apps on multiple devices, and would really appreciate a version of the APDL for Android.

Will there be any effort to bring an Android version of the APDL out very soon?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Last edited:
Chuck,

Of course, we want to support the devices that our customers are using! Like with the existing Logbook Pro mobile apps, our development plan is to design and refine APDL on iOS devices first. Then when all the bugs are worked out, we can more quickly convert the code over to support Android devices. This process, although it can seem quite slow from the outside looking in, is much faster with all of our developers working on one platform at a time.

We know FAR 117 is going to be a challenge without APDL so we are working as fast as we can to get it completed and released!

Chalk me up in the Android column. Any new updates for an Android version since January? I used it before with a Windows phone many years ago, and would like to use it again

Here is a recent reply I gave someone on the Logbook Pro Facebook page asking about APDL for Android starting now?

No, we are not starting on APDL for Android soon. While we are ready to release APDL it is far from "done" as we have so much more to put into the app. The initial release is a stable checkpoint where you can use it and enjoy the features but it's far from complete from what we want this app to do and is capable of doing. We will remain focused on iOS for the unforeseeable future and then it's an if/when for Android. I'm a big fan of Android - it's awesome but we simply don't have the resources for the complexity of APDL to be porting to Android at this time. I strongly recommend adding an iOS device to your mix such as an iPad/iPad mini which should also be a write-off for you but will be worth it - just a thought. But I'm being 100% up front that we are not ready to leave iOS at this time as we have so much more exciting work ahead.

This reply was to me on Facebook... I'm "borrowing" an an iPhone 4s at this point as adding an iPad/iPad mini just isn't an option that is in my budget at this point.

I've been looking through the program over the last few days and I am cautiously optimistic, but the jury is still very much out.

I'm going to try it out on this next 5 day trip I'm on and see what happens.

I've been on your website with all of the instructions, however, it would be very helpful if that same information was in a PDF that could be downloaded to a device for easy reference.

Neal, should I decide that the APDL program is worth adding an iPad or an iPad mini, what if any is the difference in representation between the full size iPad and the iPadmini? From what I'm reading, some features/views are only available on the iPad.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok, it's been a year since the Android APDL question was asked (and about 6 since the first post in this thread), so....when is it coming?!?!

I like the promos and % off you keep sending me, but I cant use it because you dont support my mobile operating system...

Matthewjohn,
As an Android user I understand what you're saying, I'm no fan of Apple myself. But when I was using APDL on my Palm device, that is all I used it for. It was basically a part of my uniform. So when I switched to the new APDL, I bought an iPod Touch from Apple's outlet store (that saved me a few dollars) and treat it the same as my old Palm device. It lives in my uniform shirt pocket and I don't use it for anything else, just APDL. It works great and is getting even better.
That"s my suggestion, for what it's worth.
Rob

Just a consideration if you get a iPod Touch (or any iOS device), make sure you get the newest you can afford that will run at least iOS 9.x as certain APDL features have, and will be, supported only in the newest iOS updates.

Back