Android?

I wish I had the franchise rights to the Android question. Even at a dime per query I'd make a fortune.

Why the completely dismissal of Android users? There are so many of us, Android users, who would love to subscribe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Why the completely dismissal of Android users? There are so many of us, Android users, who would love to subscribe.

Because the majority of airlines use the iPad as their device of choice. It therefore makes sense to develop on the prominent OS. Yes, Android commands the majority of mobile devices, but those are personal handheld phones. NC Software made the correct decision in supporting iOS since that's what tens of thousands of pilots have been issued by their employer for use on the flight deck.

I'm sorry, I saw this last night and forgot to reply. There is NO dismissal of Android. We do not have the resources to do APDL on both iOS and Android at this time. Our focus is on iOS for reasons mentioned above and I do not see Android in APDL's future any time soon. The user interface is complex in APDL and not something you can just copy and paste across platforms, much less the architecture behind it.

I agree with the IPad being the device of choice for airlines. I believe Neal when he says that the product is extremely complex and difficult to implement on a new OS. But can't we at least hope for some kind of extension of the app to Android? No inputs, data entry, or schedule importer but at least a platform where the user can see live updates of the data previously synced from APDL. As an Android user I don't get any updates while on-duty ( two-three turns with an iPad that is wifi only, the case for most airlines). However, half of the pilots I know who also use APDL, get to receive live updates while working in regards to gate or tail changes, delays, duty remaining, and so on because they have an IPhone.

That kind of notification is valuable, and helps one rationalize the $100/year fee. I see some of my buddies going over to the competition for $89 lifetime (granted, not as complete imo) and I catch myself trying once again to justify APDL. With almost 30 years left in my career, the difference is close to $3k. And it's not like APDL is bug-free either, far from that.

Last edited:
I agree with the IPad being the device of choice for airlines. I believe Neal when he says that the product is extremely complex and difficult to implement on a new OS. But can't we at least hope for some kind of extension of the app to Android? No inputs, data entry, or schedule importer but at least a platform where the user can see live updates of the data previously synced from APDL. As an Android user I don't get any updates while on-duty ( two-three turns with an iPad that is wifi only, the case for most airlines). However, half of the pilots I know who also use APDL, get to receive live updates while working in regards to gate or tail changes, delays, duty remaining, and so on because they have an IPhone.

That kind of notification is valuable, and helps one rationalize the $100/year fee. I see some of my buddies going over to the competition for $89 lifetime (granted, not as complete imo) and I catch myself trying once again to justify APDL. With almost 30 years left in my career, the difference is close to $3k. And it's not like APDL is bug-free either, far from that.

Sounds like you need an Apple fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any lifetime subscription "promise" is marketing nonsense and quite frankly a scam. How long will a company or product be around? Let's take for example I offer you Product X with a lifetime subscription. All I have to do then is come out with Product Y and never update Product X again and you have your software for life but never touched again yet Product Y is where all the new magic happens. You get what you pay for. If you want something for free, expect that level of service and features. We all know of some companies that have played terrible games with their customers constantly changing and screwing over their user base with pricing changes, subscription changes, etc. I try to keep our offerings transparent, trustworthy, and long term.

No software is bug free, none of my offerings are bug free but "APDL is bug-free either, far from that" is a bit exaggerated, the software is very reliable yet it is very complex and we continue to improve it both in fixing and adding new features. Have you checked out the new Commute Tools in the latest 8.4.4 release?

YouTube Video on Commute Tools

You have some good ideas and we'd love to offer email notifications for legality and pushing notifications via an APDL Alerter or some slimmed down Android app is an interesting idea. More minds in the mix the better, our software improves based on ideas. The nice thing is we have a great APDL Cloud architecture but we need to move more of the architecture out of the iOS app to the cloud but we still could have the iOS app send the cloud things to pass to email or Android. Right now most of the notifications presented on an iOS device are done by the APDL app on that device, it's not coming externally. We are working on all of this, evolving, better cloud handling, etc. It's very exciting. This is what your $99/year is going towards and we hope it's providing great value. You know your options in adding an iOS device into the mix for now, I don't need to tell you that, I'll certainly keep the gears turning on how to bring Android into play someday. I love both OS's, most know I have both android and iOS phones, etc. and I agree it's split down the middle other than the company choice for iPads as discussed.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

Sounds like you need an Apple fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great suggestion, but no thanks!
Any lifetime subscription "promise" is marketing nonsense and quite frankly a scam. How long will a company or product be around? Let's take for example I offer you Product X with a lifetime subscription. All I have to do then is come out with Product Y and never update Product X again and you have your software for life but never touched again yet Product Y is where all the new magic happens. You get what you pay for. If you want something for free, expect that level of service and features. We all know of some companies that have played terrible games with their customers constantly changing and screwing over their user base with pricing changes, subscription changes, etc. I try to keep our offerings transparent, trustworthy, and long term.

No software is bug free, none of my offerings are bug free but "APDL is bug-free either, far from that" is a bit exaggerated, the software is very reliable yet it is very complex and we continue to improve it both in fixing and adding new features. Have you checked out the new Commute Tools in the latest 8.4.4 release?

YouTube Video on Commute Tools

You have some good ideas and we'd love to offer email notifications for legality and pushing notifications via an APDL Alerter or some slimmed down Android app is an interesting idea. More minds in the mix the better, our software improves based on ideas. The nice thing is we have a great APDL Cloud architecture but we need to move more of the architecture out of the iOS app to the cloud but we still could have the iOS app send the cloud things to pass to email or Android. Right now most of the notifications presented on an iOS device are done by the APDL app on that device, it's not coming externally. We are working on all of this, evolving, better cloud handling, etc. It's very exciting. This is what your $99/year is going towards and we hope it's providing great value. You know your options in adding an iOS device into the mix for now, I don't need to tell you that, I'll certainly keep the gears turning on how to bring Android into play someday. I love both OS's, most know I have both android and iOS phones, etc. and I agree it's split down the middle other than the company choice for iPads as discussed.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.
APDL is of great value, I just feel like it becomes somewhat crippled for pilots who are given an IPad as a work tool but carry on their pockets an Android phone. However, I am very glad that you are taking my thoughts into consideration. It's good to know that the community's suggestions are been considered, as the app evolves, thank you.

Back