Installing New version

1. What is the best way to install the new version. With most software I simply install it over the existing software. Is this OK. If not, how do I update software without trashing my current logbook.

2. Do you normally send out e-mails when there is an update? If so, I need to get on the mailing list since I am not gettig anything.

Thanks

drsteve said:
1. What is the best way to install the new version. With most software I simply install it over the existing software. Is this OK. If not, how do I update software without trashing my current logbook.

Logbook Pro uses the latest Microsoft installer technology called MSI. Because of this high tech 'self-healing' system, you can't just install over top of an older version any more, unless a 'patch' is issued. A patch is a small update utility that makes upgrades an older version to a knew one using 'magic' that we don't need to get into. If there is not a patch, i.e. a full install required, then you must uninstall the old version (backing up your data prior to uninstall for safe measure) then install the new version. With that said, realize that Logbook Pro does NOT remove your registration information OR your data in an uninstall.

It is important to pay close attention as to what version you have and what the new version is, and if a patch is available on the download page. If you have a high speed 'broadband' connection, it never hurts to uninstall the old, download the full install of the new, and install. Hope this helps explain installations, of NC Software products at least, in full.

2. Do you normally send out e-mails when there is an update? If so, I need to get on the mailing list since I am not gettig anything.

Thanks

Yes, absolutely! I believe in going to the customer and not requiring the customer come to me looking for updates. When you download the software from our site, there is a checkbox that you can check to join the mailing list to keep you informed. Some have a natural reaction thinking this is a spam opportunity, but at NC Software, there is NO spam, only 'information' pertaining strictly to our software with the intent of helping YOU, our most important element, the customer! No fear, you can manage your e-mail subscriptions by going to www.nc-software.com (or product specific domain) and clicking the Subscribe link on the left. If your e-mail address changes, you can unsub/resubscribe as desired, it's totally automated and available when you need it.

Every update that is available an e-mail goes out. For Logbook Pro customers/subscribers, I typically send out a monthly newsletter as well, which you can read back issues at www.logbookpro.com by clicking the link on the left side of the page.

I hope this information helps you and others understand how NC Software goes to great measures in effort, cost, and dedication to help you, the customer.

Thank you for writing and using this forum so others can learn from your questions.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Thanks. What is the best way to uninstall the program prior to the update install. Do I do it through the control panel. Are there other files that need to be uninstalled?

Thanks.

OK. I did it and it works. I read somewhere different posts about uninstaller programs, and things like that on some of the forums. This is much simpler!

Thanks Neil!

Back