Logbook Pro Vista Installation

jecomer

I just got a new computer and obviously it is running Microsoft Vista. I read through several forums and the knowledge base article related to installing Logbook Pro on Vista. I understand that in order to install LBP, I need to disable User Account Control on Vista and leave it disabled. My concern is that doesn't this reduce the security of my laptop against malware and spyware among other security issues? Also, when do you expect the new version of LBP that supports Vista UAC to be released?

Thanks so much for your help! I'm just trying to decide if I should install LBP on my new computer or just keep using it on my old computer.

Hello,

Yes, disabling UAC certainly prevents what its intended purpose is for. Is UAC going to prevent malware, spyware, etc.? No, I don't think so. What it prevents is programs from running under elevated privileges such as Administrator privileges. You should continue to run programs such as Norton Antivirus and you may also want to run anti-spyware such as webroot's spysweeper, both of those I use. I hope that Vista user's aren't being mislead by Microsoft in thinking they don't need the usual security'wares, in fact Microsoft is producing one I believe is called "OneCare" if I remember correctly.

I honestly don't know when the next version will be done, we're taking our time, doing it right, making sure it's complete, etc. Logbook Pro version 1 is a great product, handles the task well and we are not panicing for our life to develop a new version but quite the contrary, we are developing carefully, testing fully, and making sure the next version is outstanding at release. I'd say we "may" see the new version by year's end.

Hope this answers your questions.

Back