Palm WebOS and APDL???

jecomer

Palm just announced a new phone, the Palm Pre. The Pre is using the new Palm WebOS operating system. Is the APDL Palm version compatible with the Palm WebOS operating system on the Palm Pre? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Hello,

I'm not sure! If anyone tries one out and wants to try a legacy Palm OS application on it and report back here we'd love to here the results. I could only think that Palm would support the legacy applications, we'll have to wait and see or until we can find more information available on this subject.

So now that it appears the new Palm operating system does not support legacy programs, do you, NC Software, plan on providing a Palm WebOS version? Or will you at least be looking into the possibility when the development software becomes available?

Thanks so much!

Hello,

We are always trying to support as many platforms, PDA's, etc. as possible. We can't guarantee anything and your best bet is to buy a device to run what you want to use, not buy a device and then see what you can use. Please refer to the APDL requirements section which outlines the Palm OS and Windows Mobile requirements and also take advantage of our try-before-you-buy free trials/downloads prior to purchasing your licenses.

WOW.......what a non-answer. The question was simple, are you going to write for the new Palm WebOS? Don't give us the 'System Requirements', we already know the current/past versions won't work.

If you haven't yet researched the developers section or determined your plan then tell us that. I'm sure your aware that Palm has pre-released their developers information at http://developer.palm.com/.

Please announce your plans for the new WebOS when you know. I hope your plan includes the developement for Palms new OS.

Hello,

We are always trying to support as many platforms, PDA's, etc. as possible. We can't guarantee anything and your best bet is to buy a device to run what you want to use, not buy a device and then see what you can use. Please refer to the APDL requirements section which outlines the Palm OS and Windows Mobile requirements and also take advantage of our try-before-you-buy free trials/downloads prior to purchasing your licenses.

You support Palm OS; however, Palm has made it clear that there will never again be another handheld operating on that platform. They are switching exclusively to WebOS. Why would anyone go out and buy a product with an OS that is being discontinued? So with that in mind, do you have plans to develop your software on WebOS or is it too soon to say? I know the SDK isn't widely available yet, but something more than a canned answer would be helpful for a prospective customer like myself.

Last edited:
Why would anyone go out and buy a product with an OS that is being discontinued?

Traditional "legacy" Palm OS applications AND devices will be around a long time. If you want to use our software then I suggest buying a device that fits the requirements of our products. There are great Palm OS devices to choose from today that will last you years to come. At the moment our development priority is on the new PC edition of Logbook Pro and then we will develop the PDA line of products and work as hard as possible to support everything out there including iPhone, Palm PRE, BlackBerry, etc. Until then I can't promise anything but it is certainly my goal to support everything possible. But "today" you know the requirements for our products and new PDA programs are not coming out anytime soon. What we have works great, achieves the purpose and you have a very wide range of devices on the market to choose from in order to run the software you need to enjoy what these products accomplish for you.

Thank you for your feedback.

Neal,

After almost a decade with APDL and anticipating the Pre, and understanding your software works on what it does, consider this a begging plea to put Pre/WEbOS at the top of the request list for the future. We Palm'ers figure we should be before all those Blackberry/iPhone/Android wanna-be's.

Thanks!

P.S. Need me to drag Paul out of retirement? ;-)

There's new hope for all of those who have or want to buy the Palm Pre. A developer has introduced an emulator that allows older palm programs to run under the WebOS operating system. The program is called Classic, and is available as a 7 day trial, then requires $30 to activate it. I have NOT had time to experiment with it yet but should be able to give everyone a rundown on it soon. Keep your fingers crossed!

CC

Back