Printer Problem

FlynG

I'm to the point of trying to get a flight log print out.

I'm using the flight log split report Jepp style custom template. I only changed solo to Intl for my custom report. That was the easy part from here on I'm puzzled by what it is doing. I selected insert blank and swap margins.

Question:
When looking at the twin page view combined, what exactly am I looking at?
The page on the left is the back of the left page? and the page on the right is the front of the right page?

Problem:
I cannot get the margins to stay fixed with what I am setting on the page setup and what is printing out on my printer. I have .75 and 1.25 L and R .75 T and B and flipped for the other page. It shows that with the ruler but when I print a test, I get 1" T .5 B on both pages. The left page has .5 L and 1.75 R. The right page is 1" L and 1" R.

I have checked and reset the margins a couple of times but it still prints out strange. Is there a way to reset to defaults? Or do I have a bug?

Lance

Hello,

When you use the combined tab and insert the blank page with margin swapping, you are preparing a printout that duplicates a traditional paper logbook, i.e. ability to read the data left to right "open faced." As you experiment with some printing, which you can do by tellling it to print only a few pages at a time, you'll begin to understand what's happening better.

There are no bugs with the reports. The page setup/margins should not be touched. They should all be 1 inch with exception of the right margin at .5 inches, assuming the Jeppesen Split-Report.

You can't change the margins? 1" margins top and bottom are about 30 pages extra to me.

Can they be changed on the other flight log reports?

I do appreciate the quick reply!

Lance

Changing print margins

Neal,

I am having a similair issue: I am printing out the Jeppesen syle logbook pages using the Combined tab and would like to change the margins (so I can fit more entries onto a page). When using Combined, I try to select the Page Setup button from the icons along the top or from the File menu and nothing happens. If I select the Left Page or Right Page tabs then Page Setup works normally. However, as soon as I go back to Combined, and select Insert Blank Start Page the margins reset, and since I can't get Page Setup to work from the Combined tab I'm back to square one. Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Jason Harens

Create a new custom template

I think I had the same problem. What I did is created a new template and used a smaller font.

Justin

jettinjas said:
Neal,

I am having a similair issue: I am printing out the Jeppesen syle logbook pages using the Combined tab and would like to change the margins (so I can fit more entries onto a page). When using Combined, I try to select the Page Setup button from the icons along the top or from the File menu and nothing happens. If I select the Left Page or Right Page tabs then Page Setup works normally. However, as soon as I go back to Combined, and select Insert Blank Start Page the margins reset, and since I can't get Page Setup to work from the Combined tab I'm back to square one. Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Jason Harens
Jason,

The Combined tab is not really a report that can be modified, it is really just a combination of your left/right pages to form an output. That's as simple as I can put it from programmer speak. The page setup only works in the left and right tab areas. After making changes to these margins, the combined tab should update to reflect this. I ran a test where I went to the left page, set all margins to 2 inches, then the right page, the same, and the combined tab DID reflect the margin changes properly. I tried insert blank page, swap margins, nothing went wrong, all worked as designed.

Neal,

Thanks, your reply was exactly what I needed to figure out what I was doing wrong! I hadn't used page setup for both left and right pages - just the left. So, when I used page setup on the right page and the then used the combined tab everything worked as it should!

Thanks again,

Jason

Solutions page?

Neal and All,

I found it's best just to work with the page layout of one side, either left or right.

I was thinking maybe there should be a solutions pages with margins that people have found to work with certain printers....

I know that my Epson CX6400 margins are different than my HP or Brother laser.

BTW the margins that work for my Epson CX6400 are:

Margin, Left Page Value, Right Page Value

Left, 1.125, 1.5
Right, 1, 1
Top, 1.722, 1.597
Bottom, 1.375, 1.5

Basically 1/8" difference on each page on the top and left margins.

Justin

Hello Justin,

It is certainly prudent to experiment with printing and test prior to using the Cirrus Elite custom paper. However, typically margins will not need to be adjusted UNLESS a boundary of a minimum margin setting was an issue. For example, laser printers can usually get down to about .17 or .25 of an inch for a minimum margin, whereas an inkjet may have a .5in limitation. As long as our margin settings don't buffer against these minimums, which they don't, there shouldn't be a problem.

Back