Switching Computers and PDAs at the same time

bill.murphy

Neal,

I am trying to get into the 21st century with my Logbook Programs. I currently am using APDL and Logbook Pro on some out of date equipment.

I have recently moved to a laptop that runs on Vista. Unfortunately, I have been using a Palm m505, and there is no update that i am aware of that allows me to use it on a Vista computer.

I have read about how to transfer my Logbook Pro program from one computer to another. My next task is to switch to a Palm based phone through Sprint. I am figuring that I will need to use a Palm based phone, either a Treo or the new Centro. Am I going down the correct path with my thinking so far?

Is there anything that I am missing in my thinking about switching to a new computer and a new Palm device at the same time?

I looked at my purchasing history on this site and see that my 2 unlocking codes are available to me.

Thanks for your help.

Bill,

For tips on Windows Vista, please see:
http://www.nc-software.com/?kb=62

In regards to your palm yes, you will need to stay with a Palm based Treo or Centro if wish to use your current APDL files and unlock code. If you swtich to PPC the APDL unlock code and palm APDL files would not be compatible with the Pocket PC PDA.

Before trashing your computer please backup the following folder

C:\Program Files\palm\[your palm username] you will know if you have the correct folder because it will contain "airlinelog****.pdb files". These are the files you need to save.

NOTE: The "palm" directory name may vary from Palm, Palmone, Sony, Handspring, Visor, etc.

Also don't forget to backup your Logbook Pro logbook. Please select FILE ARCHIVE BACKUP from within Logbook Pro to create the .bak file. Then after you save the file to your PC you may then copy it to a floppy, CD, or USB Drive. You may even mail the file to yourself. Free web based emails are a good way to safely save a bakup file.

If you require any further assistance please submit a help ticket.

I have an older Palm m505 with all of my APDL files from the past 4 years.

Today, I bought a Palm Centro. I would like to transfer all of my old data from the m505 to the Palm Centro, but am having difficulty getting this to happen on my old computer.

To make matters more complicated, I have a brand new PC (Vista). Today, I uninstalled LogBookPro from my old PC (Windows XP), and installed LogBookPro onto my new PC. However, there are files missing from Nov 2007 to current, that I'm unable to transfer over from the old PC.

Question 1: How do I get the older APDL files from my m505 to my new Centro, using my new PC (Vista). Reminder: m505 is not compatible with Vista, so I have to use my old computer if I'm going to access the old data.

Question 2: Can I uninstall LogBookPro from new PC (Vista), and reinstall on old (XP), and then update LogBookPro with all files from m505, then uninstall from old computer and reinstall on new? This might be the best way for me to bring all of the old data from m505 to the new Centro and on my new PC.

Question 1: How do I get the older APDL files from my m505 to my new Centro, using my new PC (Vista). Reminder: m505 is not compatible with Vista, so I have to use my old computer if I'm going to access the old data.

HOW TO XFER YOUR OLD APDL DATA TO YOUR NEW PDA
1. Install and register APDL on your NEW PDA.
2. Hotsync your M505 to your OLD PC one last time
3. copy all the airlinelog*.pdb files out of the following directory on your old PC and then place them in the Quick Install tool (or its Vista Equivalent) on the new PC to send them to your new PDA
C:\Program Files\palm\[your palm username] .
Question 2: Can I uninstall LogBookPro from new PC (Vista), and reinstall on old (XP), and then update LogBookPro with all files from m505, then uninstall from old computer and reinstall on new? This might be the best way for me to bring all of the old data from m505 to the new Centro and on my new PC.

YES.

If you require any further assistance please submit a help ticket.

Back