Feedback Build 7.9.28 - Performance issues

I5xswipe

Good Evening,

I am experiencing severe performance degradation with this latest build. APDL is very slow to respond. Syncing takes a significant amount of time now, several minutes. Navigation in app is slow or non-responsive.

This is true on both my iPad 2(Company) and iPad Mini Retina(personal) both are iOS 9.3.2. I am on a very reliable wifi network, 11Mb down/6Mb up currently. Performance on the mini is much better then on the iPad 2, but both are painfully slow.

I just timed from App open, to the first sync complete, 3m38sec on the ipad2 on the above network. In app navigation is near impossible with response rate.

I updated both on a very unreliable airport wifi network, the iPad 2 first. I suspect the Database update/reconfigure on this build corrupted itself? Now syncing across both devices? I don't see any other mentions on the forums of other users experiencing this, which leads me toward this conclusion.

What would be the best course of action, to diagnose, and correct?

"IB-933" is reference code for log submission.

Thank you

i5xswipe

Last edited:
Please kill all the apps running in the background including APDL
Soft reboot the ipad/iphone -hold the home button and power button down until the apple appears and let go
After the units restart try APDL again. If one unit has cellular data try the sync there as well and let me know if it is just as

I just checked my 6s and Ipad 2 Air and it running normally and syncing in 5 seconds

I have followed these steps, with similar results. I just made two videos, uploading them to share.

I had the same issues on multiple wifi networks and Cellular networks, on the release date for this update, 2 days ago? I am currently on my home wifi which is always consistently faster and more reliable tonight troubleshooting.

It may be due to airplane mode and some areas we are not testing for Internet connectivity which we'll review.

On or off airplane mode, the performance is identical. I just went ahead and uninstalled APDL, and reinstalled the beta. This appears to have corrected the issues I was experiencing. APDL is again usable on the iPad 2 and functioning normal.

I'm not sure what caused the issues after updating to .28, I'm just glad I'm up and running.

Again now on the latest build, APDL performance is extremely sluggish on the iPAD 2. I had no issues up until today. I am out on the road again, so when I find reliable WIFI, I will have to reinstall APDL. I am not sure what is causing or generating this issue. It is an administered iPad and location services are off. I am not sure if this may be related. But this has been the case since the earliest public beta.

Do not reinstall the app. It won't solve anything. See if this is a connected vs disconnected situation.

Are you a FLICA user? If you have check periodic ON in the schedule importer settings try turning it off.

Hi Neal,

I had already uninstalled and installed again before your post. Wifi in CLT was actually working well. This corrected the issue with version .28 and has also corrected the issue today in the latest.

I was originally on cellular data, then tried wifi. As well as closing all apps and rebooting and doing a soft reset without correction.

I am not a FLICA user, I build my APDL schedule all by hand within the app, no importing. I will verify the settings for import are off.

I previously submitted a problems report when I created the original thread. I believe yesterday or the day before this was marked close.

i5xswipe

On the bottom of the Settings area in the Privacy section, do you have the diagnostics turned on? If not, please enable it.
Edit: It is ON

Next time try removing APDL from suspended and cold start it again instead of resuming from the prior session. This is done by double-pressing the home button and flick APDL up off the screen.

This is the first troubleshooting option I attempt. I "closed" or removed from suspend all apps and tried reloading. Then closed again, and rebooted, no luck. Then closed and did a soft reset of iPad. Still no luck.

After the reinstall again in CLT, APDL ran smooth. After I got to the hotel in IAH, the APDL again is hanging and taking a very significant time to respond or sync. So I am again were I started.

The good news is company is reissuing new iPADs soon, so I can say adios to this iPad 2 soon!

Last edited:
The setting is at the bottom of Settings > General but I found it is on so that's good.

This sounds like a network timeout issue and somewhere we're not doing this in the background properly. If it happens again clear the app from suspended and put it in airplane mode them launch the app again and see what happens.

Yeah, iPhone 4s and iPad 2 will be dropped next year as iOS 10 won't support it.

The setting is at the bottom of Settings > General but I found it is on so that's good.

This sounds like a network timeout issue and somewhere we're not doing this in the background properly. If it happens again clear the app from suspended and put it in airplane mode them launch the app again and see what happens.

Yeah, iPhone 4s and iPad 2 will be dropped next year as iOS 10 won't support it.

Not network, I diagnosed that first, airplane mode, wifi only, cell only. Same issues, except with network it actually loads and syncs info, just painfully slow. No network, loads, but "crosscheck" spins for a long time and app doesn't respond to inputs timely. But APDL is much more usable then with network on, when all the background services of APDL are running.

The only variable difference between my iPad 2 and iPad Mini Retina is location services. Or the way I am running APDL on the iPad 2 from earlier releases of iOS updates or APDL updates.

Location services are off on the iPad 2. After the last iOS update I didn't turn this back on due to performance issues with Jepp. I am tempted to turn it back ON to attempt to replicate my previous configuration, but by doing so, I cannot turn back off, the way the iPad manager has the management setup.

Last edited:
The only place we use location is if you opt in to show your location on maps. Settings > General

I did a Settings-General-Reset-Network Services. And enabled location services for the iPad and for APDL.

I had isolated glimpses of positive results, but inconsistent at best. Still not working properly. I am off to rest tonight. Will play and diagnosis some more tomorrow hopefully, long day scheduled.

Thank you for your help Neal.

Not sure what else you can do but if you see it happens just submit a problem report so we can review the error log for anything it may reveal related. Glad to hear a newer iPad is on the way :) The iPad 2 is quite ancient yet we still do test against it as it is our lowest common denominator.

I have no idea, if you see something odd or not expected feel free to report it via a problem report. Just realize you're using an ancient device for 2016, it's going to be slow so take that into account.

Back