Auto fill of times

That sounds impressive. I'm such a dinosaur, entering my actual times manually after entering my scheduled times manually at the beginning of the trip. Although I haven't really noticed a difficulty entering my tail # from the drop-down menu, or entering the times for that matter. It takes 2 seconds. I don't see the need for gate info, though. Is there a benefit that I don't realize?

I think some were hesitant at first but now it's just amazing to watch. It essentially auto-logs for you and it's accurate. I'll leave it to the beta testers to answer your gate question on how they value it. APDL will actually give you an iOS notification as well as an in-app notification of terminal and gate changes. It was a late feature added again not given much value and it turned into a very high value item that they all love as well. I think it's just neat to see the app working for you and integrating with cloud resources to keep you as an airline pilot informed much less some of the neat legality notifications you have yet to experience such as telling you about your upcoming report information. It's just hard to tell the APDL story without you using it. You'll see why it took so long and I hope you'll be amazed at what it does.

So...to the value of gate info...I'll let others answer that...

It can pre load gate information for several flights in the future, Usually all day. This has alerted me more than once to an aircraft swap because the incoming and outgoing gates are not the same. I don't have to go inside the airport to look at the gate information because I already have it on APDL.

Autoforward aircraft is also smart enough to not carry forward the aircraft tail number when an aircraft swap is detected. It's very nice and prevents you from logging errors from complacency when you get used to the aircraft already being pre entered for you.

Sounds like it might spoil you if you let it. I don't know how much benefit I'll get from it using my iPod Touch because I'd have to find a WiFi signal to update that info. Are you using an iPhone or an iPad?If iPad, is it WiFi or 4G?

I'm using iPad and iPhone but primarily iPhone. The iPad is wifi only and is either updated at hotels on overnights or with my iPhone hotspot if needed during the day.

"Sounds like it might spoil you if you let it" sounds like something someone may have said when computers, iPhones, the Internet, glass cockpit etc were first invented. If it works reliably and makes your life easier and more convenient then it's not necessarily a bad thing is it? Technology is a wonderful thing.

"If it works reliably and makes your life easier and more convenient"

That's my mantra. Don't get me wrong, I love to get spoiled. I'm looking forward to letting the new APDL spoil me rotten. How many times have you been in the cockpit and grabbed your phone to call MX or dispatch and while the phone was ringing thought to yourself "how the heck did they do this job before cell phones?". The same goes for a previous life when I was in the pizza delivery business except that I know how we did it before cell phones.

BTW, I hope you gave these forum servers a good tune-up before the announcement and release.

I don't see the need for gate info, though. Is there a benefit that I don't realize?
As far as features that aren't needed in a "logbook" App this is by far my favorite or in the top three anyway.

Knowing what gate I'm walking to without having to go find a monitor...
Knowing what gate we are going into without having to pull up the Delta App...
Knowing what gate we are going to without having to wait to check ACARS once we are airborne...
A quick glance once I'm off "airplane mode" and I see if I'm keeping the plane or not... Not all hubs have next flight info.
etc...

Sounds like it might spoil you if you let it.

Yes, that IS true.

Back