Export to Excel... Where???

DaveyDave

Hi there. I'm trying to export my entire logbook to excel format (not csv). When I do so, the bar pops up an goes from 1% to 100%, then... nothing. I looked everywhere on my hard drive (including a general search for any .xls files) and can't find the file. Where does it save it? Thanks.

Dave

Hello Dave,

You may not have Excel installed on your computer and that's why nothing is happening. I suggest exporting to another format such as CSV or TEXT and then open that file with your favorite spreadsheet program.

Hello Dave,

You may not have Excel installed on your computer and that's why nothing is happening. I suggest exporting to another format such as CSV or TEXT and then open that file with your favorite spreadsheet program.

I don't have it installed, but I don't see why that would prevent me from saving in that format. I would like to import the logbook into Google Documents, and it doesn't seem to like the CSV format Logbook Pro exports in. I know it seems "flashy" to automatically launch Excel after exporting as .XLS, but for us folks who know how to work a computer it is counterintuitive that it ONLY does that without asking where you would like to save a file... much less not save a file anywhere. Bah!

Dave,

If you don't have Excel installed you will need to export it a CSV or Text file and then open it in the Spreadsheet program of your choosing and resave it to the format you want.

Logbook Pro's export to Excel feature doesn't work the way you indicate and Logbook Pro doesn't create the Excel file directly. It is created by Excel itself. The XLS or XLSX file is only created once you save the exported data from within Excel.

Well, I just installed Open Office and had it set so it default opens any Excel file, but still no luck with Logbook Pro. Here's the problem using csv files: In many of my remarks I have commas. When exporting in csv format, each time I have a comma in a sentence of the remark, excel (or whatever) breaks into a new cell. Pretty annoying. Tab delimited would have worked ok, but no option for that.

Dave,

If you don't have Excel installed you will need to export it a CSV or Text file and then open it in the Spreadsheet program of your choosing and resave it to the format you want.

Logbook Pro's export to Excel feature doesn't work the way you indicate and Logbook Pro doesn't create the Excel file directly. It is created by Excel itself. The XLS or XLSX file is only created once you save the exported data from within Excel.

Try the Export to TEXT option. FYI, the next version of Logbook Pro will be able to write to Excel format without requiring you to have Excel.

Same deal, looks like export to CSV and export to text are identical looking in the files... the only difference is one sticks a .csv, the other a .txt on the end. I guess I'll need to manually edit out any commas I have in the remarks field.

Instead of having two identical csv exports, it would have been nice to have a tab delimited option.

May I inquire, why you are trying to Export your Logbook into Excel? Is there something you are trying to accomplish with the Data in Excel that cannot be calulated in LBP?

May I inquire, why you are trying to Export your Logbook into Excel? Is there something you are trying to accomplish with the Data in Excel that cannot be calulated in LBP?

No, just thinking about simplifying a bit. I was going to see about using Google Spreadsheet online to keep record of my times but it probably is TOO simple. LP is a bit overkill for my needs though. :)

Thanks for the info. Logbook Pro may be overkill for now, but remember it may be something you grow into as you grow in aviation.

If you need any further assistance please submit this on a support ticket...

I wish to echo the comments made here about the rather clunky EXPORT function within Logbook Pro. I also have Open Office, including the spreadsheet program that uses standard Excel XLS files, but LBP will not export to an Excel file. Evidently it doesn't recognize Open Office Calc as an Excel clone. There are a lot of us out here who do NOT like and do not use Microsoft products, but it appears that this export function has been designed to work ONLY with Microsoft Excel. Not good.

Of the export options that do work I find that there is no difference at all between a CSV file and a TXT file. Both are non-standard, comma-delimited text, which means that neither format will work if you have commas in your data, which I do. The data is delimited with ONLY a comma, but a "standard" comma-delimited file is delimited with quotes and commas, like this: "," If there are commas within the data and this delimiter is used, then the commas in the data don't cause a problem. You should also provide other standard delimiter options, such as TAB.

I am trying to export data because I find the Logbook Pro custom report generator to be impossible to figure out. I have tried to build a custom columnar report with it and no matter what I try, I always end up with a Jepp Logbook page. There is nothing in the help file that teaches how to build a custom report. Therefore I want to export data from LBP into Filemaker Pro, where I can easily build new reports by sorting and formatting the data into something more useful than a Jepp logbook page. However, I cannot do that because:

1) LBP will NOT export an Excel file, even though it is one of the offered options.
2) Both "text" formats (TXT and CSV) are comma-delimited.
3) There are no options offered for using another delimiter.
4) There are commas in my data, therefore the exported data is useless.

When will we see a new version of this program that will either export an Excel file or offer other delimiter options?

Any update on this? I need to export my logbook to Excel so that I can import it into some other software on my Mac.

I, too, have commas in my remarks, so I am screwed as far as using .csv or .txt.

This is extremely frustrating. I downloaded the free trial of Microsoft Excel 2010 Beta, but that doesn't work either, am I doing something wrong? (other than using windows)

Thank you,
Tim

Hello,

Nothing has changed regarding the export, there are still several options available such as Excel, CSV, Text, etc. Please experiment with the export features to see what suits your needs best. Click here for more information on Exporting in Logbook Pro.

Does Logbook Pro still able to export to CSV?

I am having trouble finding the export function to CSV? I remember in the past I could do it. Is this function no longer available?

Back