Importing from a Home Made Excel file

SF3LAX

I just purchased Logbook pro and have a rookie question about importing.

I read the help file and it doesn't seem to address this issue.

I made an Excel file to track the time I've been flying with my airline. It's very rudimentary with a date, flight number, from, to, out, in and total time column.

For some reason, probably pilot error
smash.gif
, I can't get it to import.

Any suggestions?

There is 4 years of flying logged on it and it would be very labor nitensive to do it all over again!

Also, is there a way that by using local time, the program could recognize night time and enter it as such when approporiate?

Hello,

Format your Excel data as close to the Spreadsheet Style Layout as possible. TAB delimited is the recommended format as commas in Remarks as an example will throw off a comma delimited import.

Minimum columns to allow an import are Date, Type, Ident (N-Number), Route, and Duration.

No, at this time auto-night calc is not an option and its been debated quite a bit as to whether version 2 will have it. We'll see when we get to that point.

NCSoftwareSignature.gif

Thanks Neal,

Since I have no 'Remarks' in the file, there are no comma's. But I gather I need to make a column for Aircraft type, (they are all SF34) and 'N-number'. I didn't keep track of the tail numbers, but I listed the flight numbers... Can I keep separate 'From' and 'To' columns or should they be combined?

SF3LAX,

I just bought LBP a few weeks ago and had to do the same thing you are doing. I just rearanged some of my
heading to match LBP and when you do the importing just map them to the correct headings in LBP. You do not need to
import stuff like pisten, or jet time as that is done when you setup the aircraft in LBP you just need the total time or in and out time.
when I did the import I just used total time and went back to in and out time after the import was done.

Here is a screen grab of what my excel sheet looked like for the import. I use the APP heading for the app in LBP but put the kind of approach in the remarks section so I could go back and tell LBP what kind of APP I did after the import. I had over 3000 flights listed
with this spreed sheet and it worked like a champ.

shakehead.gif
This just ain't workin'

Thanks for the Image.

My .xls file is set up much simpler than that with only a date, type, flt #, from, to, out, off and total time column. I have tried for over 2 hours to modify the data in the import wizard and in the .xls/.txt file, all to no avail.

I used to think I was fairly computer literate.

Neal, can I send you a copy of my .xls file that has been tab-delimited to a .txt file for you to review and see if you can make it fly? I'm almost ready to start doing the data manually. With over 1000 entries, I'm really hoping we can make the import fuction work.

SF3LAX,

This should be pretty easy for you, The flight number will have to go in a custom field you should make before you import. I had to make a custom field when I imported my spreadsheet.

If you wish I can look at you .xls sheet for you and set it up so you can import. Just let me know if you would like me to check it our for you.

SF3LAX said...
shakehead.gif
This just ain't workin'

Thanks for the Image.

My .xls file is set up much simpler than that with only a date, type, flt #, from, to, out, off and total time column. I have tried for over 2 hours to modify the data in the import wizard and in the .xls/.txt file, all to no avail.

I used to think I was fairly computer literate.

Neal, can I send you a copy of my .xls file that has been tab-delimited to a .txt file for you to review and see if you can make it fly? I'm almost ready to start doing the data manually. With over 1000 entries, I'm really hoping we can make the import fuction work.
I received your file. What are you using for Ident? Remember, the Import Wizard needs Date, Type, Ident, Route, Duration as minimum columns.

Also, remove the blank rows in Excel to save you time so you have consistent data. Make sure you set the proper time format on the lower left of the initial screen.

Lastly, make sure you are using 1.9.5, the latest build.

NCSoftwareSignature.gif

frown.gif
OK, I have now become the problem child.

First, thanks for all the input and help, but this bird still won't fly.

When I get to what I think is the last sep in the import wizard, the only buttons that illuminate are the "Load Template" and the "Back" buttons. Well, the cancel button works too and I'm using it far too much.

Is there a "template" that I'm supposed to use?

I'm lost...
scool.gif

You have to make sure that all the required feilds that LBP need have something mapped to them.
The required fields are Date, Type, Ident, Route, Duration Something MUST be mapped to them or it will not
let you import.

smokin.gif
Success!

Forgive me my temporary lack of faith!

I needed to store the template and then it worked, I have imported over 4,000 hours and almost that many entries!

My fingers thanks all of you for your help!

Back