Legality Question???

jecomer

I have my first legality alert and would like a clarification or some guidance. My scheduled flight time for February 18th is 4:55. My flight time limit shows 1:45, remaining shows 0:00 and my cumulative block in 672 shows 98:15. I am assuming the 98:15 does not include the scheduled 4:55? If this is correct, then under productivity, why does it show I have 6:40 available on the 18th and 1:45 available on the 19th. These two reports seem to be conflicting unless the alert is simply to warn me that I am approaching 100 block hours, not that I am scheduled to exceed 100 block hours.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Eric image.jpgimage.jpg

Just a little additional information. It appears from my calculations that Limit and Remaining values in the Legality Alert are wrong. By my calculations the Limit should be 6:40 (instead of 1:45) with the Remaining 1:45 (instead of 0:00). This would be backed up by the data in the Productivity Forecast.

Thanks!

Eric

Ok, just a bit more information. It does appear that the Legality Alert is only warning me that I am approaching 100 block hours in 672. The alert actually reads, "Approaching 100 hours in any 672 consecutive hours". That being said, I believe the alert is correct, but I still think the Flight Time Limit and Remaining values are incorrect.

Eric

Eric - I had the same problem yesterday and came to the same conclusions that you have.

I have to say I'm surprised I have not received a reply on this thread from Neal or one of the APDL team.

I still contend that when your 100 block hours in 672 hours approaches 100 hours that the Flight Time Limits on the legality report are incorrect. When the remaining block hours in the 100/672 are less than the 117.11 limit (i.e. < 9 hours), it appears the Limit and Remaining values are calculated INCLUDING the current days block hours. For example, let's assume you start the day at 92 block hours in the past 672 hours, the scheduled block for the day is 5 hours and the 117.11 limit is 9 hours. Here is what I think the Flight Time Limits should look like:

Flight Time Limits:
Actual 5:00
117.11 Limit 9:00
Limit 8:00
Remaining 3:00

Here is what APDL actual displays as the Flight Time Limits:

Flight Time Limits:
Actual 5:00
117.11 Limit 9:00
Limit 3:00
Remaining 0:00

Is this an error or am I wrong? It just does not seem right to me.

Thanks!

Eric

I apologize for the delay, we do check the forums regularly but somehow your post got overlooked. Let me explain the lookback and I think then it will make a little more sense. Let's say you have a non-flying day and have flying scheduled the next day in APDL. When you tap the legality page it will show the legality page for the next scheduled day of flying. APDL looks at the end of the FDP scheduled for that flying day and looks back 672 hours from that for the 100/672 lookback and it does include the scheduled flying for that day. Hopefully that clears it up, if not let me know and I will try and explain further.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. And yes, I do understand that the 100/672 lookback does a worst case scenario, typically from the end of the day. I still contend, as stated above, that the Flight Time Limits in the legality report are wrong when your 100/672 approaches 100 hours. Let me give you another example with screen shots from yesterday. I started the day with 88:59 hours in the 672 lookback. I flew 5:27 block. Therefore as the screenshot shows I had 94:26 at the end of the day yesterday. When you look at the Flight Time Limits for yesterday, I would assume it is showing me the flight time limits for that day. Therefore, I should have had 11:01 of block available as far as the 100/672 lookback is concerned and as far as 117.11 is concerned my limit should be 9:00. Thus, 9:00 is limiting. The Limit should have been 9:00, not 5:34. The 5:34 is what I have remaining, after yesterday is complete. The Remaining should have been 5:34, not 0:07. Again, it appears to be looking ahead one day, yet subtracting the current days block hours. Thus, it is basically taking the current days block into account twice.

I do understand the 117 rules. They are not that complicated. They are simply a little more difficult to track. Thus the need for a software like APDL to assist in the tracking. I am not trying to attack the software or the developers. I am simply trying to help out.

Thanks!

Eric

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 62
Eric,

I see what you are saying, I think we need to look into this further. I think the remaining value should be displaying 4:33 (9:00 - 5:27) and your flight time limit of 9:00 would be the most restrictive, with the lookback limit displaying 11:01. I'm going to submit this to the software guys and see if they can figure out what's going on here. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Back