Night landings not calculating

pcohen

4b2d00eea7e233b244575ff41b7aaa7f.jpg

07c03d81832db5fd31570f58e823f7c6.jpg

8380b5182e02013c44bd4d87dc4ee355.jpg

Fifth leg, flight 2747. Automatically calculated 21 minutes of night. Obviously that would have been at the end of the flight. It also shows PF. Yet no landing was credited. How does this work?

The app is correct. Night time is from sunset to sunrise. Landings are considered night starting one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise so it's possible to log night time while logging a day landing. Go to the Notes area of the Leg in question and you'll see the sunset time. You should have landed within the one hour after sunset.

I asked this same question a while back after I landed in pitch black conditions following a redeye. Turns out I landed within an hour of sunrise so technically based on the FARs the app is handling this correctly.

Last edited:
Night time is from sunset to sunrise.

Correction: night time is from evening civil twilight to morning civil twilight. APDL handles night time correctly according to this definition.

Correction: night time is from evening civil twilight to morning civil twilight. APDL handles night time correctly according to this definition.

From what I've researched, evening civil twilight begins at sunset and morning civil twilight ends at sunrise. So based on this, we are saying the same thing.

So, If I have a flight that is 2 hours long, it will not register a night landing unless it is over 1.0 hours of night?

And, it also knows, on a short flight, if the landing was made after 1 hour of evening civil twilight? Or before, in the AM?

So, If I have a flight that is 2 hours long, it will not register a night landing unless it is over 1.0 hours of night?

And, it also knows, on a short flight, if the landing was made after 1 hour of evening civil twilight? Or before, in the AM?

It won't register a night landing unless you land one hour or more after sunset or one hour or more before sunrise.

Sunset - Airport Lights and Aircraft Position Lights are required On

End of Evening Civil Twilight(roughly 30 minutes after Sunset) - Log Night Time

1 Hour after Sunset - Passenger carry currency must be met, and Logging of Night Landings.

Good Morning...

1 Hour Before Sunrise - Log Day Takeoff and Landings, and may carry passengers when not Night current.

Start of Morning Civil Twilight (Roughly 30 minutes before sunrise) - Stop logging night

Sunrise - Airport Light and Aircraft Position Lights are not required.

Back