Origins, Destinations, and Routes

mdame

I created custom fields called FROM and TO to enter the airport I take off from and the airport I land at. Then I enter the route in the ROUTE field.

I would like to see the FROM and TO fields as standard fields in Logbook Pro. When you enter the FROM and TO it would automatically fill in the ROUTE field with a direct route (or perhaps the last route where the FROM and TO where the same as the current entry). Then you could edit the ROUTE field if necessary.

The main reason for this is to be able to filter or report on specific destinations. For example, I just needed to figure out how many times I flew into a particular airport. I was able to sort the logbook on the TO field. The ROUTE field doesn't help because I mave have left from different fields to get to the destination. Even leaving from the same field, I may have made different stops along the way.

The problem with using custom fields is that they don't save values like the built in fields (like ROUTE) do. It would also be nice to have the ROUTE field prefilled automatically after entering the TO and FROM fields.

TIA

# Mark T. Dame,
# VP, Internet Operations
# MFM Communication Software:
# http://www.mfm.com/

Thank you for the suggestion. What sets Logbook Pro apart from the competition are some of the unique and efficient methods designed into the software. One of the major changes in the way we log flights gives the option to enter multiple legs on one date, not having to use a FROM/TO field and enter each leg. As you know you can add custom fields to turn Logbook Pro into whatever your needs require. You may want to take a look at the Analyzer and filtering data by your custom field, this may help you identify totals at least. Have you checked out the route summary report? This may help you get the information you require.

Hope this helps but I don't see any changes coming in the way routes are handled to be brutally honest.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

I would see the TO/FROM fields as optional. If you use them, then Logbook Pro would automatically fill in the ROUTE field. If you fill in the ROUTE field, then it could automatically fill in the TO/FROM fields.

The problem with the current implementation is that it has no concept of where the flight began and where it ended. The route summary report is that you 1) have to group it by something and 2) if you want to know how many times you flew to CGX (not caring where you started) then you have no way of getting that information short of manually going through all your logbook entries.

Let's say I flew ISZ-FWA-CGX and later flew ISZ-SBN-CGX. There's no way to find just the flights that went to CGX other then counting manually.

My custom fields for TO and FROM help because I can sort the logbook on them, but I still have to count them manually, plus I need to enter the route by hand. Since most of my flights are non-stop, this accounts for double entry in most cases.

Finally, I don't know of any way to generate a report for an intermidate airport either. Even the suggestion I made won't deal with that problem. For example if I made a flight from ISZ to I74 and then later made a flight from ISZ-I74-ISZ, and wanted to find out how many times I flew into I74, it's almost impossible. I'm still thinking of a way to deal with that issue.

Don't get me wrong. I love the program. I haven't found anything that does everything I want, but Logbook Pro comes the closest.

TIA

# Mark T. Dame,
# VP, Internet Operations
# MFM Communication Software:
# http://www.mfm.com/

I also think TO/FROM fields would work out better than the present ROUTING field. That works fine if you just go a few places. Some of us would end up with 4 million different routes if we logged each and every one. TO/FROM fields would allow a person to log the base from which they started the logged flight and the base at which they ended it. If one desired to log their entire routing, there's always the remarks section...../forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Neal,

Just wondering if you had any more thoughts on the possibility of TO/FROM fields as opposed to the routing field, or perhaps both??
I think this would greatly simplify things for a lot of us.... Or am I beating a dead horse??

I am all ears, there are no dead horses! The more input I get on this list, the more Logbook Pro becomes what the user wants, so please, continue the thoughts, I am listening to ALL of them and will do my best to incorporate ALL of them, if in the best interest of ALL. I support the 'globe's' aviation community, so you'll understand why some things are designed to be configurable. I don't want to tie Logbook Pro to US rules, Europe rules etc., but always keep the software as configurable as possible so you can make Logbook Pro suit your needs. Version 2 is going to have something that will alleviate all of these issues, even the To/From situation, and that's all I can say! I know, I'm just making every one drewl, but you'll have to be patient as a killer system is in the works, and if you want clues, take a look at AVCataloger and it's customizability, minus one major area! Okay, I've spilled enough! /forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

You couldn't resist asking, I'm sure, and I should have know it was coming! No, unfortunately there is nothing publicly releasable on this at this writing! Sorry!

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Back