Palm to Windows Mobile for APDL

kheilbr1

Hi,
I am sure this must have been addressed at some point but I am in a time jam. I have been using APDL with Logbook Pro on a Palm Treo 600 and now I have converted to the Windows Mobile version. Is there some simple way to transfer all the aircraft and airport data over. For that matter, I had my entire June flight schedule entered on the palm. I would love to transfer all this as well as getting the last few flights in so the legality checking works too. Help!!!

Kurt

so two years later is this still the case? has it been investigated any further?

why not allow export/import with an excel file type rather than crippling people who are switching formats
those who already have to pay you yet more money to get a license to continue using the program on a different device

Palm OS and Windows Mobile platforms read two entirely different file formats and are completely separate development processes to provide you the same functionality on two platforms. Just like buying Microsoft Office or Adobe products for Windows or MAC, same functionality, different OS's, they are licensed separately due to the separate development efforts.

I just recently bought Logbook Pro and APDL software for my Windows 6 Mobile phone... everything works fine, but I have a previously purchased version of APDL for my Palm which has tons of data on it. I did not have Logbook Pro with my Palm version and would like to transfer that data to the Desktop Logbook Pro. I don't have my unlock code anymore for my Palm version APDL either... how can I get it?

that doesn't really answer my questions
apdl used to be able to export thru the webtool to an excel compatible format, a 'cross platform' format if you will
so it is possible, and a prudent business man would see that it could help increase sales and engender good customer relations by allowing a migration tool such as that for when people switch from one platform to another and are forced to do a full purchase of your software for the new destination device

(btw, comparing yourself to microsoft in any terms, let alone sales tactics isn't exactly a favorable image to present particularly when you hold a monopoly)

We will continue to improve every day and when we get to APDL 7 development we will definitely be looking at a cross-platform capability. For now we are in maintenance mode of the APDL code base and with the new version of Logbook Pro and subsequent versions of APDL it will open up many more doors for these types of situations.

My view as the original poster

Hi,
I had not looked here in a while and finally got a notice of a reply. thanks for the additional support of a few of you out there. I spent 20 years in IT from hardware to software and I wrote a bunch of utilities to convert formats. A numeric field, a text field, etc. are just those. It has to be possible to read your data file and export the data to a file. Once there, convert it to the format of the other device and import it. Yes, it would take some effort but I am certain it can be done. I have always had great support from you and all I was asking for was a utility to convert data from one to the other, not an interchangable platform that would allow me to go from Palm on day to Windows the next. As an Airline pilot the company has hundreds of airplanes and destinations. When I switch phones I spend months catching up with aircraft and airports. I agree with the other posters that this would be a great selling point. Even a simple import/export tool to Excel as noted in CSV would be great. Actually, that is how I originally got my data from an old logbook program started many years ago converted to logbook pro. For those that can remember Dbase, I exported the old file to delimited text and then imported it based on a conversion program I created and the file format for the fields that you supplied me. I know you have lots on the plate, but this really would be a good thing to have. Thanks for considering doing this.

...As an Airline pilot the company has hundreds of airplanes and destinations. When I switch phones I spend months catching up with aircraft and airports. I agree with the other posters that this would be a great selling point. Even a simple import/export tool to Excel as noted in CSV would be great. Actually, that is how I originally got my data from an old logbook program started many years ago converted to logbook pro. For those that can remember Dbase, I exported the old file to delimited text and then imported it based on a conversion program I created and the file format for the fields that you supplied me. I know you have lots on the plate, but this really would be a good thing to have. Thanks for considering doing this.

You can transfer all your APDL data from one phone to another as long as you stay with the same OS. All the airports, preferences, and aircraft will transfer.

Logbook Pro can export to CSV, TXT, HTML, PDF, and EXCEL. It can also import from CSV and TXT (tab delimited) files through use of the built in import wizard.

Ok. can you refer me to a document that explains this. Years later, I would love to know how to do this when so many times I was told it was not possible. Thanks Eric.

Logbook Pro Help Document
http://help.logbookpro.com

Exporting in Logbook Pro
http://help.logbookpro.com/Exporting.htm

Importing Data
http://help.logbookpro.com/Import_Wizard.htm

Schedule Importer
http://schedule.logbookpro.com

SI Documentation
http://help.logbookpro.com/apdl/APDL-ScheduleImporterDoc.zip

In regards to your PDA you still only can transfer the data between devices that have the SAME OS. You still cannot send data between APDL Palm and APDL Pocket PC.

Please submit a support ticket about your old Palm data and I will see what I can do for you with your old data.

Back