PalmOS Calendar integration...

Abe Frohman

I always have the "use datebook" checked in APDL as I need my PalmOS calendar to reflect my schedule. The problem is that when I import a new trip or "refresh" a month due to schedule changes, APDL takes a very, very long time.

This is a drag!!! Please fix this in future updates.

I use a Treo with PalmOS 5.4.8. This was not an issue (if I remember corectly) on my old PalmOS 4 device.

Hello Abe,

This is not an issue with APDL but with your Palm OS Datebook (Calendar). It is most likely overloaded and you should consider purging old events out of the Datebook. Palms cannot handle large amounts of data, it has limited memory, so over time if you don't maintain the Datebook it will bog down.

I guess I agree and disagree...

You'll have to define "overloaded"....I never have any datebook slowdown issues...except as described with APDL. My calendardb is~500kb and I have tons of free space let on the device. I don't like to purge my datebook as I frequently need to look back to old info and the most data I can keep after a purge is one month.

Yes, this is the way PalmOS handles its calendar data, but I think that an app that is designed for PalmOS should play nicer.

I have other apps that can write data to the PalmOS datebook that do so seamlessly. Such as airline flight timetable schedule software that can be found on each airline's website. Is it possible to find out that software's method for sending info to the datebook?

I did try a full calendar purge just as a test (I'll restore my datebook after). Yes...it definitely helped speed up the process of the "use datebook" feature. But, like I said...I really need to keep my datebook data.

Here is a link to the website that has many airline timetables for use with PalmOS:

http://www.traveldesk.com/productsDownload.html

When you use the software to find a flight on say, United, you can tap "add to datebook" and it happens instantly. Like I mentioned...perhaps these timetables and APDL are using a different method of getting the info to the datebook.

I hope you agree with me that this is something that can be improved upon...this has been an issue for me ever since moving from PalmOS 4 to PalmOS 5.

Thanks for your time!

Hello Abe,

This is not an issue with APDL but with your Palm OS Datebook (Calendar). It is most likely overloaded and you should consider purging old events out of the Datebook. Palms cannot handle large amounts of data, it has limited memory, so over time if you don't maintain the Datebook it will bog down.

Back