Proper data files location in v1.10.36

streepacht

Hi Neal,

I have just updated my install of Logbook Pro to v1.10.36 according to the instructions in the release announcement.

During the install I had to create the C:\Program Files\Logbook Pro-OLD folder as indicated in the instructions.

When I started Logbook Pro up again I have to retrieve my old log file from this folder. I believe Logbook Pro is now saving new entries to the same file in the same (-OLD) folder.

From the release notes I get the impression that the logbook data files need to go into the new (My)Documents/My Logbook Pro Files/v1 folder instead. This apparently does not happen. :confused:

Could you please indicate what the correct location of the logbook data files should be and whether I can delete the C:\Program Files\Logbook Pro-OLD folder.

Thank you,

streepacht

Hello Ben,

In the release announcement the following paragraph (near the bottom) states:

Vista Users that wish to re-enable User Account Control (UAC):

In Logbook Pro click Help...About Logbook Pro. At the bottom of the dialog you'll see the location of your data file. If your data file resides in the "C:\Program Files" folder then UAC will not be happy with you! In Logbook Pro 1.10.36 click the File...Move logbook to... option and move your Logbook Pro data file to the newly created /Documents/My Logbook Pro Files/v1 folder. Once this is accomplished you can now turn on UAC from the Windows Control Panel User Accounts area, reboot, then use Logbook Pro normally.

Thanks Neal for the lightning fast answer!

I had interpreted that paragaph as only being for Windows Vista users and ignored it being a Windows XP user. I have now followed the instructions and have also saved the back up file to the same location. I guess it should be ok to delete the C:\Program Files\Logbook Pro-OLD folder now.

We suggest creating the -OLD folder as that was the default storage location for data files. Once you are sure your data file is moved as indicated in the bottom of Help...About Logbook Pro AND you have created a backup (File..Backup) then sure, it's safe to kill the -OLD folder. Leave it in the recycle bin a little while if it helps you sleep better! :)

Have a great night!

No, don't delete the directory, Logbook Pro will recreate it as it's used for other things such as temp files, etc. You can leave your data file in other places if you want, it's more important for Windows Vista users that want to enable UAC if the data file remains in the default location, UAC won't like that. Just leave the folder structure as is, no harm will be done, it is used for other reasons.

No, don't delete the directory, Logbook Pro will recreate it as it's used for other things such as temp files, etc. You can leave your data file in other places if you want, it's more important for Windows Vista users that want to enable UAC if the data file remains in the default location, UAC won't like that. Just leave the folder structure as is, no harm will be done, it is used for other reasons.

Sounds like this might be a Vista compatibility thing, but I sure hate it when software dictates how I choose to organize things. I'm sure "no harm will be done" but having software dictate organizational structure is not good or even user friendly. I guess I will grudgingly comply because I like LBP better than the alternatives.

Actually a lot of software uses folders you are not aware of. There are temp folders, ProgramData folders, AppData folders, some of which are hidden in the OS that you don't know about. By using this standard folder set it offers "common" storage practices that are good not only with Vista but also later service packs of XP. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I move my data file into this folder then? And if I do does it go in My Documents | My Logbook Pro Files | v1? I have an automated backup system that backs up the My Documents folder to a NAS on my home network every day.

That's up to you. If all is working fine then leave it as is, if you would like to move it you are welcome to do so based on where you like to keep your files. You can keep the data file anywhere you wish but the folder structure as stated previously is used for other purposes as well.

Back