v1.0.5 Comments

Andy,

Please create a new thread in the future...if the "list" is blank in the view you have then the edit and purge are going to be disabled. You can only edit and purge if you see things to edit and purge. So switch to "Synced" if that is the "view" that has data or ALL and then tap purge and choose to purge ALL or SYNCED from the prompt.

Sorry about the thread. What I meant was that the buttons remain disabled even when switching the view to synced (or all) IF the first page that came up was empty. So in my case I start up on pending with no flights visible and The purge button is disabled. If I then tap synced the purge button remains disabled even though there are flights now displayed.

Hello again Neal...

Been using v1.0.6 for a few trips now, and everything seems to working perfectly! I haven't experienced the problem Andy was mentioning above yet, simply because I don't tend to use those filters very often, nor do I purge until I return from a trip and then I purge all entries.

Regarding this issue, though...

I believe this is an iOS 4.0.x bug and a problem with the device running out of virtual memory (RAM). The way to resolve it is to clear all non-essential suspended apps, or as you have also seen a reboot will clear the memory. iOS 4.1 I believe launches tomorrow and as it fixes performance issues I'm hoping this issue is going to be fixed in this update.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've had this issue return, even after upgrading to iOS 4.1. So, I guess it hasn't solved the problem. I haven't yet experienced this behaviour in other apps; if it is in fact a virtual memory issue, wouldn't it show up in other apps, too, from time to time?

Otherwise, still loving everything about the app!

Cheers,

Chris

:cool:

P.S. Is there a way on this forum to continuously get email notifications to a particular thread without always having to go back to visit?

"nor do I purge until I return from a trip and then I purge all entries."

Same here, I was getting ready to purge after my trip and since I keep mine on the pending view, it was blank. Then I couldn't purge and figured it was because no flights were visible. So I switched to synced view and that's when I discovered this.

Hello Chris,

No, iOS 4.1 doesn't seem to have fixed some of the heinous memory issues, I have seen this on my phone as well, in other apps. Clearing suspended apps instantly fixes it for me at least. As to this forum, vBulletin, it's designed not to give you e-mails with each reply unless you've come to the site to view the thread. In other words, you get one reply notification, and all subsequent replies are not sent unless you view this thread. It keeps you from getting bombarded, while it is nice to get a notification of every thread there are benefits of this too by not getting a notification from a thread you're not interested, so it's a good and bad situation. I don't know any way around it in vBulletin to get a notification of every reply regardless if you've come to the forum to view the thread. I'll investigate with vBulletin devs and see if it can be changed.

Andy,

Same here, I was getting ready to purge after my trip and since I keep mine on the pending view, it was blank. Then I couldn't purge and figured it was because no flights were visible. So I switched to synced view and that's when I discovered this.
Yes, I see now what you are talking about. I can reproduce the same problem.

Neal,

No, iOS 4.1 doesn't seem to have fixed some of the heinous memory issues, I have seen this on my phone as well, in other apps. Clearing suspended apps instantly fixes it for me at least.
Will clearing suspended apps cause the menu items to reappear once returning to LBP, or do you then still have to terminate it and relaunch?

Thanks for the info on the forum. Not a big deal, really - I was just curious.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

I don't remember, however, you probably should clear Logbook Pro from suspended too, it wouldn't hurt to do so, then start it again and all should be fine. When I do my clearing I clear everything except Phone, Mail, and Messaging (SMS).

Neal,
Just curious what's your reason for keeping those three suspended? From what I can tell, closing those three doesn't affect anything negatively. Do you know something I don't? They are among the ones that I didn't think there was any benefit to keeping suspended. Do they open faster if left suspended or something? Safari is usually the only one I keep suspended because I have a few "tabs" open and may want to view them in flight in airplane mode, but if I close it, it'll have to reload them which I clearly can't do in flight.

Andy,

I just assume that since those are always running, i.e. phone service, text messaging, e-mail, leave them alone. They will restart instantly, I believe, so it's up to you. The moral of the story is to help manage the memory as obviously this concept is not yet working well for Apple. This is something Microsoft had with Windows Mobile, keeping apps running in the background for faster startup, Android has it where it will auto-kill apps as needed, etc. Interesting concept but I personally preferred OS 3.x where the app just closed. They did this to allow background tasks to run, which is fine, but for apps like Logbook Pro that don't use background processing I'd prefer the app to just close until next use. The startup may take 2 seconds longer, but in the end we wouldn't have the issues with iOS 4 that we have now. My $.02.

I don't have a problem with the concept of multitasking. I just want the option of closing an app if I want to. Such as hold down the home button to fully close an app rather than suspend. Because the suspended list gets surprisingly large without realizing it. But what do I know? Clearly apple thinks they know better…

The problem is it is NOT multitasking. I'll refrain from further comment. :) Hopefully it will be further improved in iOS 4.2 coming in November, but at least we know how to manage this system in iOS 4 to prevent the issues.

I don't remember, however, you probably should clear Logbook Pro from suspended too, it wouldn't hurt to do so, then start it again and all should be fine. When I do my clearing I clear everything except Phone, Mail, and Messaging (SMS).

Sounds good. I guess I'm still a bit confused as to why this is necessary and how the whole 'sorta-multi-tasking' that iOS 4+ offers works. My understanding was always that these 'suspended' apps aren't actually running in the background, but simply 'suspended' in their last used configuration and therefore not actually using any memory or RAM or whatever you call it. But, it now seems that they do still hog resources after all, despite being in this semi-running, semi-terminated, 'suspended' state, and need to be fully terminated from time to time. We're back to Windows Mobile...

Anyhow, it is what it is...

Cheers,

Chris

I guess I don't understand It fully either, and I think we're in the sAme boat with a lot of people in that. The thing is that it's SUPPOSED to not be running or using resources but it does. Which is where my confusion lies as does the confusion/frustration with many other people. But I'm sure Neal knows more about all that than I do.

I use app box pro and there is a system resources monitor and I can tell a big difference when I have a lot of apps suspended and the amount of memory available. I don't know how accurate it is. Do u guys use some kind of monitor or do u just notice it going slower?

I'm sure there are great apps that can visualize the memory as you have found. It was blatantly obvious to me and other devs once we got iOS 4 that this was an issue, the device would just get so sluggish. Clearing the suspended apps was the instant cure. It's not done right, that's the scientific response! :) Apple is overcoming this somewhat by having more powerful devices in the 4G realm but older devices show the signs much worse. It's unfortunate as many don't know how to manage this nor should they. I gave my parents both an iPod and they unknowingly updated them to iOS 4, sure...iTunes said update available, they couldn't hear me screaming NOOOO from my house! :) Trying to explain to them how to manage suspended apps is not going to happen, it's hard enough just getting them to understand the device basics.

another blank home screen that chris mentioned on page 2 of this thread. this time instead of coming from the flights screen, it was after looking at the logbook stats screen and going back to the home screen.. i know you already said you thought it was a phone resources issue and i had 18 apps suspended at the time, so that would seem to match your theory. however this is under iOS 4.1.

nothing we can do, i know, just wanted to report it. figured no need to make a new thread for just that since it was mentioned in this thread earlier.

PS, I was in your neck of the woods yesterday, flew in and out of KRIC

Andy,

Welcome to/from RIC :)

I have finally been able to reproduce this blank home screen issue with some sort of repeatable steps, it's intermittent, but I think I have traced the cause. Most likely you looked at the Lookback area.

Here is how I can reproduce it, or make it happen "sometimes"

-The app has to be resumed from suspended state
-Go to the Flights, I click the + to add a flight, then click cancel
-I then go into the Lookback, tap one of the tabs at the bottom
-Tap the top left button to return to the home screen

I don't know exactly what from the above is required or not, but I can make it happen 80% of the time by doing this. All that it takes to fix this issue is to clear Logbook Pro from the suspended apps then start it again, nothing else needs to be cleared.

I think it's an issue with the animations, the page curl in the Lookback tabs that's causing this. I've only been able to get this problem to occur after causing a page curl in the Lookback by changing tabs within that area.

I don't know exactly yet how this will be resolved, my first effort will be to remove the animation and see if that prevents it. The usual programming steps, start tearing things down until you can no longer repeat the issue.

Minor, but exists, I will get it taken care of in the 1.1 update. So far nothing critical, thankfully, so no need for a 1.0.7 update, 1.1 will be a doozy! :) Very much looking forward to it! Neat stuff to come. Some of your suggestions of course too, as always! :) Keep the feedback coming.

runway is a little bumpy there....

NOOOO, not the page curl! that's a cool effect.

i highly don't think that i went to the lookback. not that session at least, i don't know if it would matter if i went to the lookback in a previous session (suspended since then but not fully closed the app?) and i can't guarantee i didn't go to lookback in a previous session, but i know i didn't do it that particular session. i only looked at the logbook stats.

while we're on the topic of the lookback and my suggestions....i'd rather have the hours tab default open on lookback rather than flights....that's my 2 cents on that. it pops up on flights and i'm like, "WHAT? only 40 hours....that's not right........oh, it's flights, nevermind"

Back