Palm Pre (Web OS) - Good news

Broke

I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet, but for those of us waiting for the Palm Pre (WebOS Platform) I just read some good news today. Apparently it will, in fact, be either backwards compatible or have an emulation program that will allow it to run programs written for the Palm OS. So it looks like Logbook Pro/APDL should work on it. If anyone has more specific details on this please feel free to share.

Here is the associated article: FOXNews.com - FOX Fast Forward: A First Look at Palm's New Pre Smartphone - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

"Classic" developers blog

Here is a link to MotionApps, the developer for "Classic". From the FAQ's, it looks like it should probably run APDL okay, but hotsync does not appear to work with "Classic". So, I'm not sure how you would transfer your APDL data to Logbook Pro.

They do have some information for application developers. And since you guys aren't busy at all :D, maybe you could take a look at it and see what you think?

Classic for webOS - MotionApps

I'm ready for the pre, but I NEED APDL.

Yes, APDL will work on the Pre with the Motion Apps Classic emulator. However, at this time the schedule importer does not work as Classic does not do well with PDB files. Motion Apps does say that version 1.1 will have PDB file support though. The bigger problem is getting the info back off the Pre and onto your computer. There is no hotsync so your information is stuck in APDL with no way to fish it out. Hopefully NC Software will work on developing a new version that runs with Pre smoothly.

The Palm Pre is essentially a web browser on a phone. The good news is that our future development, after Logbook Pro 2010 is released (late this year if all goes well) will include a mobile web system and this is how we intend to resolve this dilemma. There is no short term solution other than as you are watching with the legacy palm support which I'm sure will pick up steam as there are a gazillion palm apps out there, but there is nothing I can do at this time regarding the Palm Pre. I'm being straight-forward so you all are not watching this forum daily looking for a solution from me, right now all development effort is on Logbook Pro 2010 which lays the foundation for everything to follow and solve these very problems.

FYI

Apdl works!!!

I was able to get APDL to work on my Pre. I just installed the trial version of Motionapps' "Classic". Just search for "classic" in the App Catalog to install. Then:

1. Download the "Classic Rom Updater" from Motionapps: Classic for webOS - MotionApps and install the PRC onto your Pre, into the "ClassicApps" folder.
  2. Disconnect from from your computer and run Classic, run "Rom Updater" fron the "Internal" menu.
  3. Reconnect to the computer, and copy all your AirlineLog.... and AirlineLogbook .PRC and .PDB files from your "Backup" folder on your computer into the "ClassicApps/Install" folder on your Pre.
  4. Disconnect again and run Classic. It will install the PRC and PDB files. You can then run APDl from the "Main" menu in classic. It will have you set up your Timezone settings again, and you should be good to go.
To transfer you data back to your computer, you cannot hotsync. But, you should be able to manually transfer via usb from your ClassicApps/Install folder into your Backup on your PC. You should also be able to use any file sync software to sync the two folders if you like.

Once I have some new data, I'll let you know my results. Also, I haven't tried importing into LogbookPro yet, but will post my results in the near future.

where do I find APDL data?

Thanks for the tips above. I loaded APDL on to the classic emulator today.

I found the pdb files in c/program files/palm/(myhotsyncname)/backup

I copied all of the airlinelog pdb files from that folder over to the classic install file and everything seems to be working fine except that previous and future trip data did not get transferred. All of my cities, aircraft info and preferences transferred.

Where do I find the data to transfer over my trips?

Thanks

crisis averted

After some more digging, I realized that I had found all of the data but for some reason APDL just wasn't loading it in classic.

I deleted all of the monthly data files off of classic and then reloaded them. Now it works.

Not so fast....

After some more digging, I realized that I had found all of the data but for some reason APDL just wasn't loading it in classic.

I deleted all of the monthly data files off of classic and then reloaded them. Now it works.
You beat me to your answer. Good for you. I also had a similar problem. I had APDL working fine, then all of a sudden my time zones were all messed up. I had to reinstall the pref pdb, and then it all worked fine. Now I have another problem:

After using APDL on Classic for a trip, I tried to go back into the ClassicApps/Install folder to retrieve the pdb files (for backup and LogbookPro use), but they are no longer there??? The program still works, but where it saves the data is anyone's guess. I have a support ticket open with MotionApps, to see if they have an answer for me. When I find something out, I'll post here.

pairing import & APDL export

I was able to import and export my pairing info (only one trip so far, I'm on reserve).

IMPORT
I loaded the pairing into and ran windows APDL schedule importer tool. I then found the WS-1.pdb file in the my documents/palm os desktop/(userid)/install folder.
I moved that file into the Pre's classicapps/install folder and when I opened APDL in classic it installed the pairing.

EXPORT
From the classic home page in the Pre, select the classic menu, "App", "Copy..."
Copy the current month file (ex: AirlineLog-200906) from the phone to the clasic internal card.
Then when you hook the Pre up to your desktop as a USB drive you will find that .pdb file in the Pre's classic apps folder.
Then I moved the file to the my documents/palm os desktop/(userid)/backup folder. When I used the pda wizard in Logbook Pro, the latest trip synced up with no problems.

The process is a bit more cumbersome than just pressing a hot sync button but I've placed some shortcuts to the appropriate folders on my desktop so from now on I should only have to drag the file from one folder to another.

So with that figured out, APDL is fully functional on "classic". Its not the optimal solution but it will work for me until a WebOS version of APDL can be developed.

I was able to get APDL to work on my Pre. I just installed the trial version of Motionapps' "Classic". Just search for "classic" in the App Catalog to install. Then:

1. Download the "Classic Rom Updater" from Motionapps: Classic for webOS - MotionApps and install the PRC onto your Pre, into the "ClassicApps" folder.
  2. Disconnect from from your computer and run Classic, run "Rom Updater" fron the "Internal" menu.
  3. Reconnect to the computer, and copy all your AirlineLog.... and AirlineLogbook .PRC and .PDB files from your "Backup" folder on your computer into the "ClassicApps/Install" folder on your Pre.
  4. Disconnect again and run Classic. It will install the PRC and PDB files. You can then run APDl from the "Main" menu in classic. It will have you set up your Timezone settings again, and you should be good to go.
To transfer you data back to your computer, you cannot hotsync.

Revised Instructions that worked for me:
1. I had to google "Classic Rom Updater" to find it, the link didn't get me there. I couldn't search it on the motionapps site.
2. It goes in the ClassicApps/install folder, not the ClassicApps folder.
3. when you disconnect from your computer and open classic the "Classic Rom Updater" will automatically install.
4. Exit Classic and reconnect to the computer in USB Drive mode.
5. Put only the AirlineLogbook.prc file in the ClassicApps/Install folder first. Disconnect and run Classic again, let AirlineLogoook.prc install, exit Classic again and reconnect in USB Drive mode.
6. Move only Airlinelogbook-pref.pdb over next. Disconnect, run classic, then running Airline Log should take you straight to todays logpage. If not exit Airline Log, delete the pref file, exit classic and try it again, but with me it meant that I forgot to exit Classic before I connected to my computer.
7. When I looked in the Programfiles/palm/(my username)/backup folder I didn't find all of my monthly pdb files, so I had to search for them. I did find mine here on my PC: my documents/palm os desktop/(userid)/backup. If they are not there either, I'd recommend just searching for the last month you know you had entries such as *200906.pdb, right clicking on it when it is found, and selecting "open folder containing" to open the folder with all of your pdb monthly files, as the backup folder originally listed only had thru 2008 in it. The folder you search for will also have the most current *-pref.pdb file. This will import all of the months with trips that you have already run thru APDL Schedule importer, and the ones have logged the times for on your old Palm.
8. I think any Imported Schedules (PC to Pre) you run thru APDL Schedule Importer after all this will be found in the Install folder as the ws-1.pdb file mentioned, but I haven't confirmed that. It would be great if Eric or Neal would confirm some of the file moves/locations are correct.
9. When exporting (Pre to PC) I found the file on the Pre in ClassicApps\PALM\Launcher otherwise it worked like a charm.
EXPORT
From the Classic home page in the Pre, select the classic menu, "App", "Copy..."
Copy the current month file (ex: AirlineLog-200906) from the phone to the Classic internal card.
Exit Classic.
Then when you hook the Pre up to your desktop as a USB drive you will find that .pdb file in the Pre's Classic apps/PALM/Launcher folder. If not search the Pre from your PC for the applicable files.
Then I moved the file to the my documents/palm os desktop/(userid)/backup folder. When I used the pda wizard in Logbook Pro, the latest trip synced up with no problems.
10. Thanks to all who figured out the stuff I had to work with here. It is a pain, but at least I can leave my Treo home now :D

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the previous posts. I was able to install APDL on my Pre, but unable to retrieve any .pdb files. When I went to the Classic/Install folder, all I was able to find was the following read me file.

INSTALLING PALM OS APPLICATIONS AND DATABASES
This is the folder where you can put PDB and PRC files that you want to import
into Classic storage memory. For example, you can put your contacts, calendar
and other PIM databases from your old Palm OS phone here.
Classic will automatically import these files into main storage and remove them
from this directory during the startup.
For more info visit MotionApps

I ran a search in the Classic folder including hidden folders and was uanable to find any files.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CRJ Driver;

For step 9 in my post you have to follow FLUF's EXPORT directions:

I edited them into my Revised instructions post so check that out again and you should be good to go.

Just did it again and it worked like a charm. Motion is about to get $30 from me.

Hope that helps. :D

Last edited:
OK, I just got a Pre. Installed APDAL and its there in classic. However, I do not have the PC version installed, nor have I ever run this app previously. When APDAL starts to run, it wants the updated PDB files, can't find them, then shuts down. Can I run the PC version, then import? Or is there a way to set it up from my PRE (Initial Prefs)

Help...

Tim

EDIT - Works fine now. I installed log book pro instead of of the daily logbook. It works fine on Classic. Now I just need to learn the app and all of it's functions now. Gonna try to import a schedule too. Stylus would be nice on the Pre though for this app. Selecting fields with fingers is a bit tough, but it works. I will gladly be giving my money to Motion Apps soon... ;)

Last edited:
Logbook Pro Palm Companion isn't a standalone product and requires a registered version of Logbook Pro on your PC. Also you cannot import schedules into Logbook Pro Companion.

I recently had to get a replacement Pre. I had APDL downloaded on my original Pre but now I am having difficulty getting it on the new pre. The Icon shows up under the Classic App but when I try to access it, it does not do anything. I have followed all the steps as previously described in Jetpilot86's instructions but no such luck. I only use APDL and I do not export. Does anybody have any ideas to fix this?

Back