Do I still need to maintain a paper log?

rgreenpc

A fellow pilot once said.... "you can keep your log on the back of a pizza box legally"

But, if I use Logbook Pro and the PDA compainion, what are the legal requirements as far as a paper copy?

Do I just need them for checkrides?

What about if I fly 121 ops?

Trying to minimize my workload and if I have to manually log paper to stay legal and then do it electronically it seems that I am just adding to my workoad instead of improving my quality of life.

Hello,

We cannot tell you what is legal or not for liability reasons, that is always up to the pilot in command regardless. Logbook Pro prints out reports of everything it tracks and allows you the provision of signing your logbook pages certifying correctness. As for endorsements, we sell both endorsement labels as well as endorsement pages that can be placed in the back of the Cirrus Elite binders so you can maintain a complete logbook solution from Logbook Pro's printouts to actual ink endorsements. I suggest searching forums such as Flightinfo.com or asking questions in an aviation community such as they offer.

A fellow pilot once said.... "you can keep your log on the back of a pizza box legally"

Technically correct, but would one want to show this during an interview?

Do I just need them for checkrides?

No, you will not your logbooks or endorsement page when receiving instruction, going to interviews, and if the FAA or NTSB asks for them you have be able to produce a record of your training. My previous list is not all inclusive and just for example purposes.

What about if I fly 121 ops?

The PIC must keep his own records and how is does that his responsibility, even though most airlines store all your flight.

Trying to minimize my workload and if I have to manually log paper to stay legal and then do it electronically it seems that I am just adding to my workoad instead of improving my quality of life.

Even if you do keep two logbooks are greatly reducing your workload. LBP will make data entry easier and will prevent a lot of common mistakes. What I do is enter all my times in LBP through my PDA and then sit down once a month and transfer data to my paper logbook.

You will be amazed at the powers of the Analyzer, Error Checking, and FAR checking once you are at the airlines and applying them. LBP makes filling out airline apps a breeze. It allows you find any total that the airline want and I have filled out several in my career. Trust me LBP will save your hours and number headaches in this area alone. I am always amazed that every airline wants your time broken down differently and what times they ask for.

I hope gives you a little more help...

I keep the day to day logbooks with LBP and periodically print them out to store a hard copy in case of a hard drive crash. Don't ask how I know about that! :bawling:

I keep anything that requires a signature and my old hard copy logbook.

Back