Entering ZULU Times

SentryIP

Neal,

I hope you're doing well. The military uses ZULU times for takeoff and landing times. ZULU time is time at 0-degree longitude or UTC (Universal Time-Coordinated) or GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). The three are synonymous. We use this time to eliminate confusion/mistakes in converting to local times. I flew on a sortie where we took off at 5:00 PM CDT (22:00 UTC). We landed at 10:41 PM CDT (03:41 UTC). When I tried to enter this in my Palm VIIx, I kept getting an error message saying,
'Landing Before Takeoff:
Takeoff: 02/8/5 22:00
Landing: 02/8/05 3:41'
The takeoff was at 22:00 ZULU on 2002/08/05 and the landing was 03:41 ZULU on 2002/08/06. Is there a way to fix this or make a change to allow military pilots to enter military/ZULU times? Thanks.
/forums/emoticons/cool.gif

FLY SAFE
SentryIP

I understand the use of ZULU, however, from what you're telling me, you entered the 5th of August for both times when in fact the landing should have been the 6th of August. Did you enter the landing date wrong? If using ZULU, I don't see how your landing could be before takeoff since it's based on the same time, i.e. landing has to be after takeoff since time zones are not affecting your entry.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Neal,

Ooops...I've voluntarily enrolled in remedial training due to operator error. Thanks. /forums/emoticons/dunce.gif

FLY SAFE
SentryIP

Back