Importing APDL files

Cory Wolf

Although I've been using APDL for the last 6 years, I just recently bought Logbook Pro. I'm having trouble figuring out how to transfer my old files into Logbook Pro. Anyone out there that could lend a hand, it would be appreciated. I orginally had a Palm, then a Clie, and now a Dell Axim. When I look in my archive file for the last couple of years, all I am finding are .ddd files, which the importer doesn't recognize. Anyway, any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Cory

Hello Cory,

First ensure you are using the latest versions of both APDL and Logbook Pro here. SingleSync is phased out, if it is installed on your PC, it must be uninstalled. You'll then need to activate BOTH your Logbook Pro PC Edition license and APDL v6 license within Logbook Pro. You can bring up the activation dialog by clicking the PDA menu, then register licenses menu option below. Once you have activated your APDL v6 license within Logbook Pro, it will enable you to move to the next step off the first page of the PDA Wizard, which you'll select "APDL Pocket PC Edition." You can set the appropriate preferences and date filter on this APDL configuration page. Once you are caught up, the date filter should be left with the default of "New APDL Flights" as it knows the last APDL flight that was brought into Logbook Pro. During the Sync process it will also check that your Pocket PC is version 6 and registered, so make sure that is done prior to starting the PDA Wizard.

That's all there is to it. The PDA Wizard provides you much greater flexibility and is much more reliable than the previous SingleSync software.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Neal,

Thanks for you post. I was able to figure out the PDA wizard while just poking around. I also found somewhere that the single sync had been phased out. I had never used it. Here is what I have done and what I still need help with.

I do have unlock codes for both the OS and PC version. I have only used the PC version for the last 2 years, so I don't have the latest OS version....no need to. Nor do I have my Palm even installed on my current computer. Here is my problem. I was able to get all my data from my PPC from the the last two years to sync into the logbook using the PDA wizard. Very slick! Now however, I have the files for the previous 4 years on my old computer in the Backup folder. How can I get them onto my new computer and into the Logbook? It appears that I can only get those files in by syning a handheld device. The problem with that is 1) I don't use that OS devise anymore so none of the software for it is installed on my computer. 2) I'm having trouble getting it to hotsync with my old computer to reinstall the backup (my Clie had lost all that was on it).

Is there any way to get those files (PDB) into Logbook Pro without having to use my old handheld???

Cory,

The PDA Wizard is only going to sync (import) from a PDA device running a registered APDL v6 product. The only other option you have is to experiment with the APDL Portal, web utilities (bottom button) and converting your data to CSV files. With a little work you could import this data into Logbook Pro using the Import Wizard. The Import Wizard requires five columns: Date, Type, Ident, Route, and Duration. APDL data doesn't store a TYPE so you'll need to use a program such as Excel to put in a Type column, enter the type information, then save back to CSV and import into Logbook Pro.

Unfortunately, that quickly exceeds my experience or know how. I guess I'll have to see if I can get the old files hotsynced to my old Clie. For users that have had the APDL long before the logbook Pro software (most of us had a palm and now a PC handheld), it would be nice if there was a way to import these files right from our desktop pc. It frustrating to have years of data right there, but not be able to easily import them.

Thanks for your replies. I'll keep plugging away at it.

Cory

Wonders of wonders!! I actually got it all to work. I got all files, except some of the oldest, transfered to Logbook Pro. That saved me a couple of weeks of work. Now I just have to get through the logbook and check for accuracy. I've noticed that some flight times are off. APDL has the total for the day being, for example, 3.2 but it shows up one tenth off.

Anyway, thought I'd let you know that I was able to work around the problem and it worked out.

Back