Just some little things

ShawnC

I recently downloaded the eval of logbook Pro. Its pretty good for the computer logbooks that I have seen (first one that I have used) but I have a few little gripes.

First is there anyway that you can enter data in the Jepp style entry area.

Seond I'm a glider pilot, our paper logbook has a checkbox for type of tow (something similar to landings in the Jepp logbook) and we have an Alititude section. I created one in the custom fields area but when I goto reports it adds the alitudes up.

Third is there anyway where we can specify what type of flight it is (ie glider, airplane, seaplane) and just see the logbook entries pertinent to that. For example I don't need a type of tow column for airplanes. Maybe it could be linked to the airplane that you choose. Some thing with misc stuff such as SIC, and Dual reciveved/given. In certian aircraft its just plain immpossible to do that in that aircraft (think single seat airplanes).

I just think that in the default mode its just a little too rough around the edges when it comes to viewing.

I like this program it has many options but its just too hard for someone like me to enter my time with all these little options there, that I don't need.

ShawnC,

Thanks for taking a look at Logbook Pro. Most of what you are experiencing are simply issues of a new software package and not being comfortable with the options, customizability, and feature set. Once you get comfortable by simply spending a few minutes, or reviewing the documentation by pressing F1, I think you'll see the power and that Logbook Pro is more polished than your first impression.

First is there anyway that you can enter data in the Jepp style entry area.

Absolutely. The very bottom row is the 'new' row. If you are at the bottom row and there isn't a blank one, just click on the last row and arrow down, or click F2 for a new entry, or the button on the nav bar at the bottom to create a new entry. Enter the data exactly as it appears, which is formatted after the paper logbook you are familiar with.

Seond I'm a glider pilot, our paper logbook has a checkbox for type of tow (something similar to landings in the Jepp logbook) and we have an Alititude section. I created one in the custom fields area but when I goto reports it adds the alitudes up.

I think you may have used the wrong type of custom field. Go to Options...Custom then use the Custom Yes/No field, which is a check-box style field.

Third is there anyway where we can specify what type of flight it is (ie glider, airplane, seaplane) and just see the logbook entries pertinent to that. For example I don't need a type of tow column for airplanes. Maybe it could be linked to the airplane that you choose. Some thing with misc stuff such as SIC, and Dual reciveved/given. In certian aircraft its just plain immpossible to do that in that aircraft (think single seat airplanes).

The only thing you need to configure is the Options...Aircraft area. Logbook Pro, through the power of the PC, takes the redundancy out of flight logging. Logbook Pro automatically knows all the information about the aircraft, such as Single-Engine Land, etc, by referring the Type in the log entry to the information in the Aircraft Configuration area. Show the filter bar in the Jeppesen view and you can filter out information as you desire, and for reports, check out the Flight Log Grouped By reports, and choose a specific item to group (or separate) your report output.

I just think that in the default mode its just a little too rough around the edges when it comes to viewing.

Logbook Pro is designed 'out of the box' to appear like the Jeppesen style paper logs. From there, you can customize the layout by rearranging, resizing, reformatting fields, or hide them with the Display Configuration under the right-mouse click popup menus.

Please post any other questions you have or anything you can provide as feedback so we can make Logbook Pro a better product for you, and others.

Thanks again for time in testing of Logbook Pro.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

I guess what I am looking for is software where if I select a glider as the aircraft it would pull up an entry system that only has the glider specfic entry fields on it (this would help with the FAA form 8170) for example there it wouldn't be neassry to have landings (those are manatory) nor would it be nessary to have anything instrument or night. Good guidance for what a glider logbook should look like is the SSA logbook.

I guess what would be nice is seperate logbooks because each one has it own requirments, but they would each add up for total time and number of landings. Similar to what I would have now, I have a glider logbook that contains just my glider time and an airplane logbook. But if I were to apply for a job or write in my total time, it would be my glider totals plus my powered totals.

Shawn,

I understand your requirements, but the only way to get there is to use the Enterprise Edition, and do keep separate logbooks (data files) for each type of flying. Customize each data file (settings are saved by data file) and then you may get closer to your requirement.

Good luck in your evaluation. Don't hesitate to post your feedback or suggestions here.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Back