Logged No credit for sick/cancelled

pcohen

I unchecked APPLY TO PAY for SICK and CANCELLED, but it still shows credit! For those of us who have terrible contracts with no cx pay, how can I show zero credit for the trip? I'd like to keep the trip on the schedule because it affects guarantee and keeping it on there is a record of what is deducted from guarantee.

Also, how can I make Sick = 4 hours for each day. If the original day was more than 4, then min credit does not work.

Disappointed that there is a trip rig but no duty rig. The legacy APDL has both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean this as respectfully as possible. Save your breath about the app's payroll short-comings. They are still being worked on. Do not be dependent on it to track your pay...for now. It's basic but a single labor contract is complex. Imagine that from a programmer's perspective over dozens of different airline contracts. So far, everything you've pointed out has been done so by the Beta team. Don't take that to mean you should stop sharing your experiences.

Finally, and again respectfully, there's no reason to say the old APDL is better every time you post. That horse has been beaten to death too many times.

I'm not speaking for Neal and his team. These are my opinions. I hope you'll continue to help make this a perfect tool for pilots of all airlines.

For some reason now it shows zero credit. I didn't change anything. Every thing the same, except I quit the app and relaunched.

But then I couldn't get the sick to show 4 hrs credit. I checked APPLY to pay and min 4 hrs credit (even though that isn't exactly right- there should be an option for applying a fixed credit) but now the day with SICK still shows zero.

Then I created a custom category called PDO with the same two selections. That worked, showing credit 4+00.

Then I changed it back to SICK and still good at 4+00. Why didn't it work before, but works now. Something is screwy. Seems like there is a delay of a few minutes before the system calculates proper credit after you change a payroll category.

Legacy APDL was dependable.

Was it perfect from the start? I'm a veteran of the old APDL as well and I don't think it was. It got there, though.

In my opinion you're comparing apples to oranges. So many things in the airline industry have changed since APDL's creation. Heck, the smartphone didn't exist when it was born.

I've been a beta tester for Neal since before the redesign of APDL began. Neal and his team have always been receptive to every idea thrown at them. Some have been rejected. Others have been incorporated into the app. In the end it's his baby.

Regarding the payroll functions, or lack thereof, I was a huge proponent of giving the app more time to evolve in this area before launch. After some back and forth with him, I became a believer in the logic of launching with this area slightly deficient. I realized more patience was needed. I've been manually inputting my schedule and ACARS times into a spreadsheet for years and I'm itching beyond belief to be able to ditch it. Believe me, I share your pain on this front.

The bottom line to all of this is please be more patient. If you had been a part of the beta program you'd have a better understanding of the app's development and the ins and outs of the massive decisions that are required to get this thing to level it's at now. I'm truly impressed.

So, going forward I hope you can better understand - and I hope you could at the very least just trust a fellow pilot - Neal and his team knows what needs to be fixed and is working as fast as they can. This isn't a Fortune 500 company (not yet, Neal!) and can only work as fast as their resources and time allow.

Cheers

Eric,
Well said. I perfectly understand his issues with the shortcomings and incomplete functions of the program in its current form (believe me, I have my own list) but I also know the kind of work that goes into it and it comes down to each individual user. I can get it now and go along for the ride during the improvements or just continue using my Palm until the new APDL is up to my own personal idea of what it should be.

Legacy APDL was dependable.

And APDL for iOS is just as dependable.

If it says I have a duty problem, then by golly I have a duty problem. A lot of problems I see are a lack of understanding on our part as users. I don't have all the answers but most of the alerts I get are because I entered a time wrong or selected the wrong payroll/legality.

Have to disagree. I've already had two situations where it said I had a duty problem, but there wasn't one. (Already logged). And a situation where it said I was going to be legal, but would have also gone over 9 hrs flight time. Also logged.

I unchecked APPLY TO PAY for SICK and CANCELLED, but it still shows credit! For those of us who have terrible contracts with no cx pay, how can I show zero credit for the trip? I'd like to keep the trip on the schedule because it affects guarantee and keeping it on there is a record of what is deducted from guarantee.

Also, how can I make Sick = 4 hours for each day. If the original day was more than 4, then min credit does not work.

Disappointed that there is a trip rig but no duty rig. The legacy APDL has both.

The duty rig is under Settings, Airline. As far as the Apply to Pay button being unchecked and still counting as credit, that's a bug and I will log it (AI-2009). Where sick time is concerned are you saying if you had a day scheduled for 6:00 block and you called in sick you would only get paid 4:00? I just want to be clear on what options you'd like to see in the Sick payroll category.

Last edited:
Correct. We only get 4 for SICK no matter what the credit. If there was some way to apply a fixed credit to a payroll category that would be one way to do it.

Correct. We only get 4 for SICK no matter what the credit. If there was some way to apply a fixed credit to a payroll category that would be one way to do it.

Ok, I logged it. (AI-2028)

For some reason now it shows zero credit. I didn't change anything. Every thing the same, except I quit the app and relaunched.

But then I couldn't get the sick to show 4 hrs credit. I checked APPLY to pay and min 4 hrs credit (even though that isn't exactly right- there should be an option for applying a fixed credit) but now the day with SICK still shows zero.

Then I created a custom category called PDO with the same two selections. That worked, showing credit 4+00.

Then I changed it back to SICK and still good at 4+00. Why didn't it work before, but works now. Something is screwy. Seems like there is a delay of a few minutes before the system calculates proper credit after you change a payroll category.

In reference to the last line there. APDL does not change historical entries. This would cause massive inaccuracies in historical data. Consider that you have been using APDL on iOS for several years and your pay rate has just recently changed. If you go into settings and update your pay rate, you don't want APDL to change the credit value for the previous year(s) flying as that would ruin your historical summary data. Even if you got a pay raise in the middle of the year, your year end summary report wouldn't be accurate if it applied the new pay rate to every flight of the year (before you got the raise). The same logic applies to all other settings within the app. If your contract was renegotiated and suddenly you get a new trip rig, or new guarantee value or new amount of credit for a sick day, that wouldn't change the rules in effect previously, and APDL needs to maintain those old values for accuracy.

Having said all that, if you're trying to adjust settings to resolve an issue like this, what you have to do is change the setting and go back to the flight(s) in question and make a small change. Edit a time or tail number and save again. This should cause APDL to recalculate based on the new settings. (This is why it worked after you changed the payroll category back to SICK, but not before that)

Back