iPhone...Apple now allows third party software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfresno

I understand from your previous iPhone discussions that the main thing keeping NC Software from developing applications for the iPhone is that Apple does not allow third party software on the iPhone. Now that Apple has changed its policy and is allowing it, would an iPhone version of the Airline Pilot's Daily Aviation Logbook be in the future? I would love to see it! In all honesty, it's the only thing that's keeping me from buying an iPhone right now.

Last edited:
Hello,

When the software developer kit becomes available, it certainly will be reviewed. However, to be totally honest, I doubt we are going to support the iPhone as we cannot put the development efforts and cost into a single device as it would not be cost effective for us. We will be looking at all options and have a few ideas that are already in the works.

Apple I Phone Non Support

I think it would be a grave mistake for NC software Inc not to support the apple I phone. The Apple I phone is a perfect fit for airline pilots who are looking to carry less with them when on trips. So much so that I feel pilots will probably stop carrying multiple devices such as PDA, cell phones, and lap tops in favor of this all in one device, and will probably stop using ADLP since it is not supported. I know that I have always recommended ADLP to fellow pilots but now I am not sure I should since they are no longer keeping up with the latest technology.

I think it would be a grave mistake for NC software Inc not to support the apple I phone. The Apple I phone is a perfect fit for airline pilots who are looking to carry less with them when on trips. So much so that I feel pilots will probably stop carrying multiple devices such as PDA, cell phones, and lap tops in favor of this all in one device, and will probably stop using ADLP since it is not supported. I know that I have always recommended ADLP to fellow pilots but now I am not sure I should since they are no longer keeping up with the latest technology.

I agree 100%. The iPhone is certainly the first generation of a new concept of products. No Apple will not sell all of them, and the iPhone will not have 100% market share. But Apple does hope to capture a large portion of the market and it definitely has an opportunity to do just that. Just look at the sales in the United States alone. They have reached Apple's expectations. If that trend continues, as many as 1/3 of cell phone users will eventually own an iPhone.

Pilots will be/are very interested in using the iPhone. Just look at one of the newest iPhone commercials, which features an airline pilot who - according to the storyline of the commercial - checked weather to see how long the flight he was flying would be delayed.

Please consider developing Logbook Pro for the iPhone. I'm planning on buying one in the coming months and would love to buy Logbook Pro to use on it.

Folks - I do hear you! And I do believe we have something that is in the works for a summer 2008 release that will cover the iPhone, BlackBerry, etc., but until that software is out of "thought" and into code then it doesn't exist. The funny thing about these posts, to be honest, is: If you own or are thinking of owning an iPhone, everyone has one or everyone will have one, the same goes for BlackBerry, on and on. The iPhone has a great user-interface but that's it! I just wrapped up a developer conference in Las Vegas this past week and in one of the sessions we actually talked about the iPhone in depth. Great design, but beyond the gee-wiz it's a broken concept. If you have a MAC, you're doing okay, otherwise this device won't do much good to you. BlackBerry, it's the same as a Treo with exception that BlackBerry pushes e-mail vice other devices you have to go retrieve it, but as far as applications, BlackBerry does you no good. BlackBerry has some nice functionality for disconnected use or failed transmissions, etc., but that's a moot point.

I have to look at the big picture, the picture of what devices are best suited for applications and have the widest range of users, statistically, not fantasy "because I own one or am planning to own one." If I could, I would support all of them, and with what's coming, that may very well happen, but until then, mum is the word. It's one thing to have a device that does what we need it to but you have to understand the BlackBerry, iPhone, and others are very unique in their development processes, they use different programming languages some of which we simply don't program in. It's not worth the time, money, resources, manpower to support one device with an unknown future. Right now, iPhone is fad, in my opinion only. Just like the MAC, which I love, is very very unique in its user community and being non-Microsoft, just isn't going to be the majority share.

Hang in there, no reason to keep posting your rants and wishes here, I know, I hear, I have plans, give us some time. I didn't just buy a MAC to look cool, there are other reasons, stay tuned!!!

Thank you for your post and I hope you appreciate my honesty here, I do not want you to get your hopes up or spend money on something you want which may not be the best fit for your needs.

Folks - I do hear you! And I do believe we have something that is in the works for a summer 2008 release that will cover the iPhone, BlackBerry, etc., but until that software is out of "thought" and into code then it doesn't exist. The funny thing about these posts, to be honest, is: If you own or are thinking of owning an iPhone, everyone has one or everyone will have one, the same goes for BlackBerry, on and on. The iPhone has a great user-interface but that's it! I just wrapped up a developer conference in Las Vegas this past week and in one of the sessions we actually talked about the iPhone in depth. Great design, but beyond the gee-wiz it's a broken concept. If you have a MAC, you're doing okay, otherwise this device won't do much good to you. BlackBerry, it's the same as a Treo with exception that BlackBerry pushes e-mail vice other devices you have to go retrieve it, but as far as applications, BlackBerry does you no good. BlackBerry has some nice functionality for disconnected use or failed transmissions, etc., but that's a moot point.

I have to look at the big picture, the picture of what devices are best suited for applications and have the widest range of users, statistically, not fantasy "because I own one or am planning to own one." If I could, I would support all of them, and with what's coming, that may very well happen, but until then, mum is the word. It's one thing to have a device that does what we need it to but you have to understand the BlackBerry, iPhone, and others are very unique in their development processes, they use different programming languages some of which we simply don't program in. It's not worth the time, money, resources, manpower to support one device with an unknown future. Right now, iPhone is fad, in my opinion only. Just like the MAC, which I love, is very very unique in its user community and being non-Microsoft, just isn't going to be the majority share.

Hang in there, no reason to keep posting your rants and wishes here, I know, I hear, I have plans, give us some time. I didn't just buy a MAC to look cool, there are other reasons, stay tuned!!!

Thank you for your post and I hope you appreciate my honesty here, I do not want you to get your hopes up or spend money on something you want which may not be the best fit for your needs.

Thanks so much for at least looking into it. I do understand the complexities of creating the program for an entirely new gizmo, and hope that you find it feasible to add the iPhone to the list of supported platforms. I certainly do appreciate it.

I second the last post...thanks to NC Software for listening! You guys have a great product, and have always been great at taking care of your customers. Can't wait for the iPhone/Mac announcements!

I'm a Treo 650 user with the Palm OS and I'm shopping for a new "device" and service plan. The iPhone looks like the way I want to go. It would allow me to leave my heavy laptop at home. The hotel can kiss my $10.00-per-day for internet in my room good-bye...I'll spend it toward my own phone plan. No more "sharing" the "crew computer" in the hotel business office with the "cell-yell" flight attendant/crew and all their personal "drama". Just waiting for it to become cost effective for NC Software to support.

I have an iPhone, a mac laptop and a PC desktop. It all works surprizingly well together (yes, even with the PC). As a charter pilot always on the road in unfamiliar places, that iPhone makes life so much easier. To go around the device specific software, I was wondering if NC would come up with a simple web-based application that would just let you input your flights (on the internet with your iphone for example) and download that later to your LogbookPro. Any thoughts on that?

iPhone Developement Possibility

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/...ds-windows-mobile-in-us-market-share-q3-2007/

That article shows the iPhone is gaining considerable ground and I doubt Apple, seeing the success of it, will not improve the product in 2008. I have been a user of your APDL for the last 3 years and really do miss not having it with me to log my time.

Hope that NC Soft does capitalize on this opportunity to make their great logbook available to MAC users.

Thanks for you time!

Hi Neal, any chance we can get a Mac OS Version of Logbook Pro?

;-)

Call us when you start to support the Mac,
J. Deus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back