Anything New?

jmoore

Hello Neal,

I was wondering with the anouncement of the the new iPhone (and them expecting to sell over 10 million of these) if you have changed your view on a Mac version of Logbook Pro and even an APDL that can run on OS X? I bought an intel Mac and bought Windows mainly for the use of Logbook Pro but can hardly stand Windows long enough to do the simple task of logging flight time! Thanks...

Patiently,

Jamie

Hello Jamie,

It has nothing to do with my view, or anyones view of the MAC OS, it's a nice OS. The problem is with being able to deliver you a feature rich logbook solution. The developer tools just don't exist, or compare to what we can do on the Windows side. Apple may be delivering neat things, but they are failing in not enticing the developer community or supporting the developer community as Microsoft does. Pretty smart move on Microsoft's part on how they provide for their developers which in turn keeps Windows strong.

I hope this sheds a little light on the situation, there's more to it than it appears.

Thanks Neal, appreciate the point of view. There usually is more to it than meets the eye.

Jamie

Thanks Neal, you do have an excellent product...way better than anything on Mac

Last edited:
Neal,

I understand your issues with the MAC, but the iphone will somehow work with some windows versions. Will you be able to integrate the iphone into Logbook Pro somehow?

Cookie

I'm not familiar with the iPhone, if it will run the Microsoft .NET Compact Framework, we would probably be able to do something, but then comes in the synchronization with Windows via ActiveSync, etc. I am not optimistic that the iPhone will be supported until I learn more about it and that it meets the criteria above.

I just checked the MAC site, iPhone runs MAC OS X which we are not going to be able to support.

I do realize MAC things "look cool" and are innovative in their own way, but Apple has done a terrible job on opening up to developers. Until they can open their world to third party developers, their products will be only good for the basics in which Apple provides. I too like the way MAC computers look, they are slick, but when it comes to "what can I do with one" then it falls way short. It's a fad in my opinion, I'm sorry but with everything Windows allows us to do with computers and their support for developers to create "things" for Windows, Windows is really the only option beyond what comes with a OS. I know "some" will go to MAC, but they will always be connected to Windows in some way or another, i.e. Virtual PC/Parallels, another computer, etc. to do things a basic MAC doesn't do.

My $.02 - I sure wish Apple would open up and we could perform the magic we can in Windows to be innovative.

MACS are NOT a fad

quote: It's a fad in my opinion, I'm sorry but with everything Windows allows us to do with computers and their support for developers to create "things" for Windows, Windows is really the only option beyond what comes with a OS. I know "some" will go to MAC, but they will always be connected to Windows in some way or another, i.e. Virtual PC/Parallels, another computer, etc. to do things a basic MAC doesn't do.

Please Neal....you are being very shortsighted. Macs are gaining popularity and you insist they are not. You continually shoot down requests from mac users and lose many many potential customers because you refuse to offer any support. The iphone is going to be very popular with pilots. Maybe the ONLY reason I won't get one is because of your program. It's a ball and chain around my ankle. APDL has not been improved at all and you don't support the use of handhelds that don't use a touch screen. As a result I have to use a lame palm, which is the only option I have to sync with a mac.

Why not offer users an online database where they can post their pairings and enter their times from ANY internet connection. This would free us all from these clunky devices and solve the mac problem at the same time. You claim that windows is so great but where are the feature rich upgrades that make life better using your product?

Todd,

I appreciate your feedback. We are working towards an online interface coming after v2's release later this year. The system is setup to support this, it's just something not ready to be announced at this time, but it is coming. I hate announce things until they are actually done, otherwise this is called "vapor'ware".

We can talk about MAC all day long, including today's release of the iPhone. But MAC shoots themselves in their own foot, for example, iPhone - apps have to be written that can only run inside the Safari browser. Sure, they have neat stuff, but with their concern about security, they essentially block third party development. Sure, I'd love to have a MAC and an iPhone too, but the practicality of the matter prevents the waste of money in my opinion only. People get MAC's and then they continue to run Windows on their MAC - doesn't make much sense to me! They got the MAC because it looks cool, but for functionality sake, they continue to run Windows.

Bottom line is I don't want to lead anyone on here thinking "maybe" we'll support this or that. BlackBerry, iPhone, SmartPhones (non-stylus devices) are not going to be supported in the foreseeable future. If you're going to go down the path of the iPhone, you will have to come to realize you'll need a separate PDA for your "apps" and the iPhone for your phone/iPod.

Thank you again for your feedback. Hang in there, in a few more months you'll see a revolutionary change in Logbook Pro along the lines you're talking! That's NOT vapor'ware!

Hello Todd,

I addressed this in another post that I will certainly be taking a look at the dev kit. However, I'm doubtful we are going to support the iPhone simply because we are not going to invest a lot of time and expense in supporting one device. It's better for us to support a "platform" than a single device, so Palm OS and Windows Mobile have a far greater return on investment from our standpoint. Most of our PDA users are going to have Palm, Pocket PC, or BlackBerry to be honest, and hopefully our 2008 software rollouts will pickup the BlackBerry and iPhone via a web integation we have in the works. So it's not all for not, just give us time to get the Logbook Pro v2 completed which opens a hole new world to what we can do with the available devices you all are using.

Back