Different time zone settings

psb

I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with the different time zone settings on ADPL and the schedule importer. My schedules as posted by company, are in local times. The times we enter, are in zulu.
The ADPL has the "Setup" menu with the time zone settings for
-Domicile's Time Zone
-Logbook Time Zone
-Import Schedules in?
Plus each logpage on ADPL has the dropdown menu on the top with the options of
-Zulu (UTC)
-Local
-Logbook (UTC-7)

What I need help with is how to set all this up. I downloaded the ADPL support file and couldn't find the infor necessary for me to understand how to do this. So, when I enter times in zulu, the ADPL doesn't account for the 00:00 and after as being the same day in local. And my sync with logbook is all screwed up.
How do I enter my times, how do I set up the previous two menus discussed above?
Thanks.

Set the "Logbook Time Zone" to whatever timezone you want your "Reports,
Times, and Logbook Pro" entries in.

Set "Domicile Timezone" to whatever timezone you are based or the official
timezone of your company.

In your case set "Import Schedules In ?" to "Local", because your schedules
are in local time.

Check "Apply Daylight Savings" were applicable.

Then for each airport in your "Airport List" ensure you have a valid UTC
time (Non-Daylight Savings). Check "Apply Daylight Savings" were applicable.

This takes care of the APDL setup.

When entering data on the logpage you will find a drop-down box (Palm) or a
"Timezone" menu (Pocket) PPC to choose "Logbook, Zulu, Domicile, or Local"
for the format that you want to view and enter times on that logbook page.
When can switch to "Zulu" to enter times, and the to "Local" to view what
time your duty starts, as an example.

Regarding APDL SingleSync and Logbook Pro when using a Zulu timezone or
flying that ends after midnight.

On page three of APDL SingleSync change "By Leg" to 'By Day". This will sync
all logpage entries to a single Logbook Pro entry. All flying for that duty
period will be stored under one entry, instead of one entry per leg.

We currently have a development request (Case 778) to provide persisting
order of entry in Logbook Pro for APDL "By Leg" records. Look for this in a
future version.

Fly Safe!

Paul Auman
APDL Development Team
NC Software, Inc.

Paul, thank you so much, I'm starting to get it. Thanks for your patience with my slowness.
Now, the only problem I have with synching 'by day' instead of 'by leg' is that I lose specific tail numbers if I flew more than one different a/c that day. Does this make sense?
Let me know if there's a solution for that.
Thanks again.

Now, I've done what you instructed and here's the results (maybe I need to RE-IMPORT schedules right?)

On setup:
I've placed Time Zone Settings as follows:
-Domicile's Time Zone? UTC-7 (Phoenix)
-Logbook Time Zone? UTC (since I'll be based in different areas in the future and I have been based at different time zones in the past too)
-Import Schedules in? Local

So, everything done as you suggested and now here's the next set of problems (please bear with me). I go to my next day of flying on 10/20 and first flight is blocked from 0610 to 0754 (phx-den). I've entered for phx utc-7 no daylight savings. for den utc-7 with daylight savings. The following occurs:
-On the logpage I select Zulu and block times come out in local (0610-0754) -If I select UTC, the same
-If I select Local or Domicile (UTC-7), they come out as 2310-0054 (incorrect).
What did I do wrong this time?
One more thing on day 10/25 I have a LAS-SJD flight 1255-1629 (local- which I get when I've selected Zulu). The problem:
I've changed the time zone settings on SJD to all possibilities and every time it shows block at 3+34, when in reality it's 2+24 and the return trip block shows1+39 when it's 2+39. (I've tried UTC-6, -7, -8 with and without daylight savings, and it doesn't change)

psb said:
Now, I've done what you instructed and here's the results (maybe I need to RE-IMPORT schedules right?)

On setup:
I've placed Time Zone Settings as follows:
-Domicile's Time Zone? UTC-7 (Phoenix)
-Logbook Time Zone? UTC (since I'll be based in different areas in the future and I have been based at different time zones in the past too)
-Import Schedules in? Local

On the timezone settings make sure "Apply Daylight Savings" is unchecked under both Domicile and Logbook timezone. "Daylight Savings in effect" should be checked.

Re-import future schedules after changing settings.

If the problem persist please email me a copy of AirlineLogbook-pref.pdb (Palm version) or a zipped copy of c:\program files\airlinelogbook.com\[8 digit pocket pc id]\folder (Pocket PC version). You can respond to any of the Support Request emails. This way I can double check your settings.

Fly Safe!

Paul Auman
APDL Development Team
NC Software, Inc.

Are you sure I should check "Daylight Savings in effect"?? because Phoenix, well all of Arizona, does not participate on Daylight Savings time. It is UTC-7 on standard time zone all year round.

If you please ... a question to further my understanding of this issue. If I uncheck "Daylight Savings is in Effect", will that change the times I've already loaded into the logbook, or will that only change the times I *will* load into the logbook after unchecking the box?

If 10/30 (DST change) is in the middle of a trip, I suppose I'd have to manually enter the trip (not using the schedule importer) as follows: 10/29: keep "Daylight Savings is in Effect" checked (active) and enter day trip data. 10/30: uncheck "Daylight Savings is in Effect" (inactive) and enter day trip data. This way each day's time is correctly matched with local times and DST times. Is this correct?

"Daylight Savings is in effect" check box on the "Timezone Settings" preference page tells the software when to use the "Apply Daylight Savings" conversion.

Since "PHX" does not have "Apply Daylight Savings" checked it will not effect PHX. But applies when converting times from your schedule for other airports.

Daylight Savings ends on Oct. 30th at 2:00am (USA). For a list of changes worldwide click here (http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst2005b.html).

If you are importing trips after October 30th, wait until you have unchecked "Daylight Savings is in effect".

If you have a trip that starts before October 30th, Import the trip. Then switch to your Logbook Timezone, and manually correct the times after 2:00 am on Oct 30th.

The reverse will need to be done when we go into DST in the Spring.

Fly Safe!

Paul Auman
APDL Development Team
NC Software, Inc.

Paul ... your comments suggest (to me) that checking the "DST is in effect" box only affects times in the APDL which are on dates *after* the date I checked/unchecked the DST box. Is this a correct understanding?

I was experimenting today ... I unchecked the DST box and found that times for trips I had already completed (on dates before todays' date) have been altered. It seems to me that *all* times will change (irrespective of date) when the DST box is checked/unchecked.

I don't mean to belabor this ... however, I am not getting the results I expect to see. Trying to figure if my understanding is wrong, I have a setup issue, or the software just won't do what I want it to do. Thanks!

Checking\Unchecking "Apply Daylight Savings" will not change your times when viewing a logpage in the "Logbook Timezone" format.

Think of the "Logbook Timezone" as the actual written times as you would have entered them in a paper logbook.

On the main logage you can apply a different timezone view (i.e. Zulu, Domicile, or Local). These views use the "Daylight Savings is in effect" checkbox to apply the corrections necessary to the logbook timezone to arrive at the new view.

The "Daylight Savings is in effect" checkbox is also used in applying corrections to an imported schedule to store the times in the logbook timezone.

What you are seeing after un-checking "Daylight Savings is in effect", then selecting a record in which "Daylight savings was in effect", and changing the Logpage View to (Zulu, Domicile, or Local") is the incorrect 1 hour shift of no daylights savings correction.

Fly Safe!

Paul Auman
APDL Development Team
NC Software, Inc.

Back