Flying both 121 and 117

keith.yingling

I'll bad flying at atlas and flying both under part 121 and part 117. Is it possible to log flights under 121 when applicable and 117? How should I go about making sure I'm legal.

Do you mean Part 91 and 121? As far as I know, 117 only applies to Part 121 passengers carriers. It doesn't apply to FedEx, UPS, etc even though they are 121.

APDL assumes you are 121 and operating under 117 rest rules unless you change the Regulation option in Settings to Part 91. That's only way to force the app to not track 117 rest.

If I am flying cargo I will operating under 121. If I am flying passengers I'll be operating under 117. I'll be doing both

If I am flying cargo I will operating under 121. If I am flying passengers I'll be operating under 117. I'll be doing both

So both operations are 121. APDL can't distinguish between cargo 121 non-117 and passenger 121 Part 117 at this time. Neal and his team will have to tell you if that's in the works. My suggestion is to use the Part 91 option I described above for the cargo flights if you don't want the 117 alerts for those flights.

Last edited:
EricW is correct. As of right now APDL is for 117 ops only. It cannot handle 121 supplemental rules at this time. Logbook Pro Mobile in associations with the the desktop software does have the 121 reports in it. It only handles the flight times though and is not calculated in realtime but may help you keep an eye on it.

How is Atlas mixing the operations? It seems if you fly 121 supplemental one day it could really mess with your legality for 117 the next.

EricW is correct. As of right now APDL is for 117 ops only. It cannot handle 121 supplemental rules at this time. Logbook Pro Mobile in associations with the the desktop software does have the 121 reports in it. It only handles the flight times though and is not calculated in realtime but may help you keep an eye on it.

How is Atlas mixing the operations? It seems if you fly 121 supplemental one day it could really mess with your legality for 117 the next.

That's exactly my issue. I'm assuming most of my flying will be 121 cargo.

I wish they would just put cargo under the 117 rules as well. What a mess

That's exactly my issue. I'm assuming most of my flying will be 121 cargo.

I wish they would just put cargo under the 117 rules as well. What a mess

I agree and most pilots/unions in the industry I believe want that. One level of Safety.

I too have this issue at my company.

I don't need APDL to track 121 Cargo rules, but I need it to calculate cumulative totals while conducting 121 Cargo so as to remain legal when conducting 121 Passenger flights under 117.

At the sametime, I think I have noticed APDL not tracking 91 flights correctly when calculating rest and cumulative totals.

We operate MX flights (ferry) as 91 and if this flight happens without an intervening rest period it counts toward 117 FDP. Likewise if you did a 91 flight before a 121 revenue flight on behalf of the air carrier, it likewise would count as FDP.

Last edited:
Back