Just lost all my data for the trip

keith.yingling

Had it all filled out on my iPad, synced, opened up iPhone and it synced. Little did I know the iPhone didn't take the data from the cloud, it sent up empty fields in all of my flights. Then reopened my iPad. Boom. All info gone

Send a support ticket. They can get your data back. Don't log anything until you hear from them.

Had it all filled out on my iPad, synced, opened up iPhone and it synced. Little did I know the iPhone didn't take the data from the cloud, it sent up empty fields in all of my flights. Then reopened my iPad. Boom. All info gone

Let's clarify what happened as it sounds like you may have simply overwritten some data with later saves. Let me explain how sync works and what probably caused your issue. There is no way to have a "data loss" issue as you describe, most likely it's a PIO in data editing.

Let's take for example you have both your iPad and iPhone at the same time sitting side by side in front of you. You have the same leg opened on both devices. You fill out the data on your iPad in a leg entry and tap save. That same leg is opened on your iPhone and it does NOT have anything changed nor the edits made on the iPad and you tap save. Note how you tapped save on the iPhone last? For each "record" such as the Leg record the "last save" wins in sync, it has a later time stamp. APDL's sync does not instantly sync across devices down to the letter, it's per record and we suspend sync during record editing.

Here is what you should do to avoid a situation like this. To keep it really simple just use one device at a time. But first, when does sync occur? Sync occurs when the app is launched/resumed and when it suspends and then an interval of time while the app is running which is typically every 5 minutes. You can command a sync from the menu (left) or from within Settings/Sync. So, with that said the pattern you should take is make your edits in one device, your iPad for example, then when you're done command a sync or simply suspend (close) APDL. Sync will run, it typically takes a second but give it 5 depending on your Internet connection. Now open APDL on your iPhone or command a sync and it will then receive the changes from your iPad for you and show your edits.

You'll only get into this predicament when again you have both devices open and the last save doesn't have the edits which were done in a prior time stamp on the other device. Keep it simple as outlined in the paragraph above, open APDL on one device, make your changes, close APDL, now open your other device and you'll see the changes and then you can edit. Give it a try.

Neal this is what I did do. I used my iPad all day to log my times. When I got to the hotel I got on wifi and the Ipad synced. Then when I opened my iPhone app to receive the new data (that apparently wasn't there even though my iPad clearly said it synced) my iPhone app sent up blank data. 5 minutes later all the data from my trip was replaced with the blank fields from my iPhone.

Instead of inputting all of my times manually again i just it let Autofill. But I have still have to go back and manually enter aircraft, PF/PM instrument time, and type of approach

Something must have dirtied the trip/leg on the iPhone - my hunch is this is fixed in 7.0.6 which is soon to release. It could have been an AutoFILL issue that caused it or a sync issue as there was one issue in 7.0.0 that we fixed. This next update is air tight, can't wait for it to release, it fixes a few things and adds some really cool new magic and some new widgets to the Status Board you'll really like.

The key is patience.
My phone is my primary means of input for APDL, but the other day I used my iPad just to try it out. I saved the legs on my iPad, closed out APDL, and picked up my phone to check if would sync. I opened APDL and the data wasn't there. I closed APDL, waited a few moments and opened it again and when it finished syncing, my trip was there.

You can watch the network activity indicator (spinner) in the top left of the screen and/or the spinners on the menu while the app wakes up and does it's polling and processing. We're working to make this even faster.

Maybe all entered data should turn green to indicate that it has been successfully saved into the cloud.

Maybe all entered data should turn green to indicate that it has been successfully saved into the cloud.

It is successfully saved, it's just an order of saving that can cause a problem like the OP wrote about. There are a few fixes in 7.0.6 due out any day that solves this issue once and for all.

Back