LBP running in Background but not opening

Posrate

PLEASE HELP!

I'm not sure if I picked up a virus or what. When I attempt to open Logbook pro 1.7.50 nothing happens. When I attempt to open again via the shortcut or using the start icon and going to the appropriate file a message displays saying that Logbook pro is allready running and only one can be opened at a time.

Unfortunately all I can see is my desktop wallpaper and the program is not minimized. I usually have to use CTL ALT DEL and choose 'end task.'

I am still able to use other programs although there are a few puzzling items that seemed to have popped up but nothing more irritating than not being able to open my Logbook Pro program.

I am in desparate need of printing the Logbook and was able to print reports until just the last couple of days.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!!!

~Jeff /forums/emoticons/confused.gif

Jeff,

Please try to uninstall, reboot, reinstall 1.7.50. If no luck, e-mail support@nc-software.com your .BAK file (backup) or a Winzipped .LBK file and it will be checked out for you.

Sorry for the delay, just returned from a family emergency.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

I moved my logbook file and LGP 1.7.50 to a seperate file and then uninstalled using Windows add/remove programs. When I uninstalled the program I reinstalled using the LBP file I moved and had previously downloaded. Unfortunately there was no change and I was unable to load the program . I will try to download the full version again and see if this has any positive effect in the event the old file was somehow corrupted.

One more question. When I went to uninstall LGB pro in the WIN add/remove programs using the Control Panel there were old LOGBOOK PRO versions still listed, 4 to be exact. I assume this would not be of any big concern, correct?

Thanks for the help,

Jeff

Jeff,

I recommend you use a program named Tweak UI (you can get it from www.download.com) and use it to clean your system of old programs such as Logbook Pro that your OS thinks are still installed. I also highly recommend using Windows XP for greatest reliability and performance. I see you are still using Windows 98 according to your profile.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Same problem since I tried to upgrade to 1.8.???. Can't even go back and get 1.7.50 to work. Have you had any luck? Tried everything Neal suggested. No luck

SkyDivePilot

1.8.6 is going to release tomorrow. Let's give the full install a try. If you want, e-mail me at support@nc-software.com and I'll give you the URL to it now as it's on the server awaiting beta test team feedback for release.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

I found that another program of mine would not open. It said that a file by the name ( XceedZip.dll ) was not the correct one for that particular program. I installed the above file to the window\system and that made the program work. I thought that maybe the logbookpro program would work if I installed 1.7.50 which had worked inthe past. Made the install and the Logbook works just like it did before the attempted upgrade to 1.8.5 or what ever it is now.

SkyDivePilot

Most likely the 'other' program is not using a binary compatible version of that product. What I recommend is uninstalling Logbook Pro, then unregistering that DLL by using the following:

Click Start...Run and type in (copy and paste) then hit OK.

C:\Windows\System\RegSvr32.exe /u C:\Windows\System\XCeedZip.DLL

You should get a succeeded message

Reboot

Install Logbook Pro 1.8.5 and all should work fine.

I'm working on 1.8.8 now so if you want to wait for the new upload, give me about 24 hours (if all testing goes well).

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Logbook Pro maintains binary compatibility with all new versions, i.e. backwards compatibility with it's windows components. I suggest contacting the manufacturer of the other software and kindly ask them to update their software as they are possibly using an outdated and non-compatible version.

One additional item, maybe of interest. This very issue is called 'DLL Hell' by Microsoft and is a known problem especially for software vendors that don't follow guidelines for installations and end up knocking other companies software. Logbook Pro version 2 will not have this problem! It will be isolated in its own environment guaranteeing uninterfered use by what ever other software you desire to install. This of course, making life easier for both of us and significantly increasing reliability.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Unfortunately I have made no further progress other than using a backup file on another computer only then am I able to access LBP. I didn't have any other problems opening any other programs but I do recall a conflict when booting up when all my problems began. I only wish I had jotted down the message and file name. It may be the same .dll extension that you had; I'll look into it and let you know. I finally had to take a breather out of frustration and the amount of time I was devoting to the problem. It sounds like you have resolved the problem to some degree.
I am curious to know from Neal if this may be a rare problem in the programming language or something related that poses a conflict now that we know it's not just one person suffering but at least two users with the same symptoms.
Good luck on downloading the next upgrade! Computers...../forums/emoticons/confused.gif

I know of no conflicts and the installation is a straight forward install, it should not conflict with anything unless another program has violated the integrity of your operating system. We use InstallShield and follow Microsoft's strict install guidelines so that this install causes no problems and does not interfere with other applications. If you uninstall Logbook Pro, it will return your system to the state prior to the installation without harm. If you are using Windows XP, you may want to try and return to a prior checkpoint.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Neal:

After numerous attempts of solving my problems opening LBP I finally raised the white flag and surrendered. I formatted my computer and Loaded Win XP Pro as you suggested. I am happy to report everything is running smoothly. Fortunately all of my data was loaded succesfully and all is well. Thanks for all of your prompt and helpful advice.

Jeff

Back