"normal" minutes versus tenths

normanvdmeijden

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if it is possible to use normal minutes e.g. flying time
3:11 (so 3 hours and 11 minutes) instead of 3.2, the "normal" is standardly used here in the Netherlands so I was hoping it was possible.

Thanks in advance,
Norman van der Meijden

I know that there's a new release candidate out for Logbook Pro (v1.10.33). In the above thread mentioned you announced the possibility in a new version (ok, it's not v2 but the end of 2007 - that was the announced date in another thread - has long passed away) to view the times in hours and minutes. I didn't read anything about that in the revision history.
Will there be the possibility to get the times in hours and minutes?

Last edited:
We are a lot of pilots waiting for this feature. You are missing out on a large market by not having it.

The current feature that just converts to tenths is not accurate enough. Over time there will be a large difference between time logged in tenths and time logged in minutes.

I have to enter my time with 3 decimals in order to not have different totals than my company logs that are in hh:mm format.

I am still waiting for hours and minutes entry and storage of flight times. I've been waiting 3+ years and have had comments "dangled" in front of me by NC-software that this change is just around the corner for most of that time. Clearly it is not a priority and I will keep my money tucked safely into my pocket for now. NC-software appears to be doing well now so why mess with success?

I work for an airline and we track all flight time in hours:minutes. I also am familiar with computer programming and know this would be a very significant change to the data underlying the program and it's interfaces. I would also note that it is not sufficient enough for the entry of times to be in hours:minutes but that the data must be stored as such (well, actually in minutes).

I respect the work effort required to change. However, I also posit that hours:minutes it is a much more universal method of tracking flight time because hours.tenths can be converted to hours:minutes without loss of data resolution, but not vice versa. Hence, NC-software could expand their market significantly by storing flight time in minutes and offering Pilots the choice of entering data in hours.tenths or hours:minutes.

There are several threads with hours:minutes entry in common. I trust this response will add to the noise of those clamoring for change.

Hello David,

Thank you for the post. We're a small company and as you know in the tech field we've had to divert resources to take on the iPhone/iPad and Android, Cloud Sync and other cloud services, all while continuing our complete rewrite of Logbook Pro vNext. We're also working on APDL v7 for iOS on top of everything else. Software takes much longer than expected, our current product is solid, while not meeting everyone's needs, we have to balance the resources over demand. We are continuing to work on PC vNext full time but it's a huge undertaking as this will also be an enterprise product with much more capability than anything on the logbook market. Thank you for your continued patience.

I am still waiting for hours and minutes entry and storage of flight times. I've been waiting 3+ years and have had comments "dangled" in front of me by NC-software that this change is just around the corner for most of that time. Clearly it is not a priority and I will keep my money tucked safely into my pocket for now. NC-software appears to be doing well now so why mess with success?

I work for an airline and we track all flight time in hours:minutes. I also am familiar with computer programming and know this would be a very significant change to the data underlying the program and it's interfaces. I would also note that it is not sufficient enough for the entry of times to be in hours:minutes but that the data must be stored as such (well, actually in minutes).

I respect the work effort required to change. However, I also posit that hours:minutes it is a much more universal method of tracking flight time because hours.tenths can be converted to hours:minutes without loss of data resolution, but not vice versa. Hence, NC-software could expand their market significantly by storing flight time in minutes and offering Pilots the choice of entering data in hours.tenths or hours:minutes.

There are several threads with hours:minutes entry in common. I trust this response will add to the noise of those clamoring for change.

You have talked about the fidelity of the data in other posts, so I have can appreciate Fig's want for the hh:mm format. I am sure I have "lost" a number of hours from using the hh.t method.

Also, while I have been a user for for over 10 years (and do appreciate the updates), and agree that yours is among the best solutions for this market, you must sympathize with the growing want of vNew. You have talked about it since at least your December 2007 newsletter and we all know about your refusal to mention timing of such, but really? Over four and a half years in development? You must have some timetable or project timeline or milestones that you can discuss.

Back