Logged Split Duty Trips

Kwest

I've got a split duty trips next month and when I imported my schedule I have alerts on every trip for 117.15b- having at least 3 hours of rest in a suitable accommodation. Anyone else have this? It's been a year since I've held a line so all I know is reserve.

We are still working out an issue with APDL and Split Duty rest calculations (AI-1966). For now we have a workaround, see the text and link below for more detail.

Manual Entries - APDL - WIKI

[h=2]Creating a Split Duty Trip[/h]Split duty is a special case that has to be created in APDL slightly differently than a standard trip. As the regulation specifies, split duty flying is considered a single duty period. It must be created in APDL as a single duty period as well. To create a split duty trip, create a trip as described in Creating a Trip above. When adding the first leg, set the regulation to "Part 117 Split Duty". Create another leg in the same duty period (same day) as the first leg and select "Rest Opportunity" as the payroll category. Set the scheduled times as appropriate for the rest opportunity. Create another leg in the same duty period and set the regulation to "Part 117 Split Duty". When setting the OOOI times for this leg, be sure to choose the correct date since it may need to be cycled forward by one day to reflect the correct flight date while being in the same duty period as the previous flight and rest opportunity.

So I finally had time to add the rest opportunity and the warning went away but I'm still left with a yellow alert. 2 of them actually I know there is still work being done so I won't beat the horse but I can't read both alerts on the legality screen on my iPhone. The alerts display fine on the iPad. The alerts also look fine when I turn the phone to landscape.
4991a6a7120aa08f496bc06294834aa4.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, let's talk about the split duty case some more... You shouldn't have any alerts remaining after using the procedure outlined in documentation above. Typically, split duty trips CANNOT be imported with the importer and work properly (as of now). They will have to be manually entered to get rid of the errors. Make sure ALL flights within a single DUTY PERIOD (not "Day") are listed under the same duty period in APDL.

This would mean if you have a split duty trip that starts in the evening of Apr 1 (Wednesday) and ends the morning of Apr 2 (Thursday), in APDL you would need to create this as if it was only a 1 "day" trip. Flight 1 would be labeled with "WE" for Wednesday, the rest opportunity and flight 2 would still appear to be on the same "Day" of the trip (1 of 1) but the label will say "TH".

It should look like this and there won't be any issues.
IMG_4530.PNG

If it looks like this, it's not done correctly and you'll see legality issues.
IMG_4531.PNG

I'm adding these screenshots to the documentation to make it more clear.

Last edited:
I think my problem may be that I imported the trip and then added the rest period. I'll re build the trip manually and report back.

[edit] I just saw the screenshots you added. That is my problem.

you MAY be able to import the trip and delete the second day and just rebuild the rest and second legs. that COULD get tricky and a small mistake could throw the whole thing off. probably best to just build manually

I redid a few trips. And manual input is working fine. One thing I'm noticing though is APDL is not counting the rest opportunity as part of the FDP. The company is counting it. So where the company says I have a 10+09 FDP, APDL is saying 6+09.
Not sure which is actually correct but I'll do a reading of the split duty and continuous nighttime ops FARs tomorrow.

I've got a split duty trips next month and when I imported my schedule I have alerts on every trip for 117.15b- having at least 3 hours of rest in a suitable accommodation. Anyone else have this? It's been a year since I've held a line so all I know is reserve.

Is there any updates to the split duty issue?

I'm not aware of any issues right now with split duty trips. Just have to be manually entered and the rest opportunity has to be in there.

Is a fix in the works, or will split duties always be a manual imput? This is the only downfall I have seen in my brief trial with APDL and I do enough of these trips that it makes me question moving forward with it.

Back