Brand New User...many Questions

ceff7711

Hello. I am going to spend some time browsing the forum for answers but I thought I'd get the ball rolling. I have many very basic setup questions. Thanks.

1) What Time Zone should I use? I am based in ORD and fly throughout the US and Canada.
2) I have 3 different aircraft that I fly regularly with 3 different pay rates. How do I set that up?
3) I'm on Reserve. Guaranteed 75 hours/month. I get the Greater of Scheduled or Actual on a leg-by-leg basis. How do I set up the Rigs and Guarantees page for this scenario?
4) Again...Time Zone Settings. Since I'm based in ORD (domicile) I have that set to UTC-5 with the box checked for 'Adjust for Daylight Savings'. Then the next line says Logbook which is set identically to my Domicile. Is that correct? What's the difference between these two settings?
---I also have the Daylight Savings is in Effect 'checked'.

Thanks

1) What Time Zone should I use? I am based in ORD and fly throughout the US and Canada.

The Logbook Timezone is the timezone you want to keep your Logbook Pro OUT/IN times in. All APDL time will be converted to this timezone when sent to Logbook Pro. I personally use GMT.

2) I have 3 different aircraft that I fly regularly with 3 different pay rates. How do I set that up?

I would suggest going to OPTIONS....PAYROLL CATEGORIES and add 3 custom categories. Call them the names of the 3 aircraft you fly. If you were flying the CRJ-200/700/900 then you could use CRJ2, CRJ7, CRJ9. Setup Category with the following:
Check Apply to Flight
Check Apply to 30/7
Check Apply to Pay
Check Apply Pay Rate: x.xx
Check Apply Rig (only if you airline uses it for flight)
Check Include in Popup Lists

3) I'm on Reserve. Guaranteed 75 hours/month. I get the Greater of Scheduled or Actual on a leg-by-leg basis. How do I set up the Rigs and Guarantees page for this scenario?

APDL doesn't have the ability to calculate times based on a set number of hours per month. Once you break 75 hours a month you should change the pay category to above guarantee. You will also have to create 3 of those as well (e.g. above CRJ2, above CRJ7, etc). This will tell APDL that flight is paid above your guarantee.

Under Rigs and guarantees you will want to say YES to LEG Guarantee and NO to trip.

4) Again...Time Zone Settings. Since I'm based in ORD (domicile) I have that set to UTC-5 with the box checked for 'Adjust for Daylight Savings'. Then the next line says Logbook which is set identically to my Domicile. Is that correct? What's the difference between these two settings?

The correct timezone settings are as follow (OPTIONS...AIRPORT LIST):

Eastern -5 Check Apply Daylight Savings if the city uses it. Once set you never touch it again
Central -6 Check Apply Daylight Savings if the city uses it. Once set you never touch it again
Mountain -7 Check Apply Daylight Savings if the city uses it. Once set you never touch it again
Pacific -8 Check Apply Daylight Savings if the city uses it. Once set you never touch it again

Under Options...Prefs...Timezone Settings

Domiclie is UTC -6 DST check or ORD

Logbook Time Zone is set to whatever timezone you want to keep your Logbook in and set DST appropriately

Import Schedules in: Is normally LOCAL as most airlines publish their schedules in LOCAL. Your options are BASE, LOCAL, and ZULU. Use the correct one for your airline.

CHECK Daylight Savings is in Effect. This is the box you will check in the spring and uncheck in the fall. It is the only DST setting you need to change in APDL.

NOTE: APDL pay calculations are for reference only and cannot take into account every pay situation.

Let me know if you have any futher questions.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks for the push. So, even though ORD is currently UTC-5, I should set it to UTC-6 and never touch it again? Also, in my Airport list I have set each destination to its respective UTC time. I just enetered my first flight leg ORD (UTC-6) to HPN (UTC-5). The flight time is scheduled for 2:05, however it is calculating 3:05. What did I do wrong?...

In your Aiport List make sure you have the following setup

ORD UTC -6 DST Checked
HPN UTC -5 DST Checked
Domicile UTC -6 Checked

OPTIONS...PREF...TIMEZONE Settings DST Is in effect checked.

restart APDL

You will need to reenter flight data after you make the changes

Please also pay attention to what timezone your Logpage is displayed in when entering your times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still having trouble.
Preferences:
General-
Domicile is ORD
Time Zone Settings-
Domicile UTC-6
Adjust for Daylight Savings-Checked
Logbook UTC-6
Adjust for Daylight Savings-Checked
Import Schedules -local
Daylight Savings is is Effect-Checked

Airport List
ORD-UTC-6
Apply Daylight Savings-Checked

HPN-UTC-5
Apply Daylight Savings-Checked

At the top of the first Logpage it says I am using Domicile

I restarted and added the times again and it's the same result.

The flight times I enter for ORD-HPN are 1310 (Dep) and 1615 (ARR) which should equal 2:05 minutes, however it still says 3:05.

If you have you logpage display in UTC -6 it is expecting all your times will be entered in that timezone. I personally display mine in zulu because that is what our FMS displays and we write in the aircraft logbook. I can then change the page to Local if I am curious about the next departure time.

Try putting the page in LOCAL when you enter the times off your schedule. I am assuming your schedule is printed in LOCAL correct?

If you have you logpage display in UTC -6 it is expecting all your times will be entered in that timezone. I personally display mine in zulu because that is what our FMS displays and we write in the aircraft logbook. I can then change the page to Local if I am curious about the next departure time.
Try putting the page in LOCAL when you enter the times off your schedule. I am assuming your schedule is printed in LOCAL correct?

OK. I set it to LOCAL and it now adjusts correctly for time zone changes. Just curious....if the other time zone settings are unable to account for time zone changes what are they used for?

Next Question

I would like to import my trips. I am using Windows Mobile on my HTC TP2. I watched the tutorial but still have questions.

I work for American Eagle Airlines. Like the video tutorial said, I tried to import using the AUTO filter. I copied and pasted a completed flight sequence from sabre and pasted it in the window. It did NOT give my the green checkmark, so I need to change the filter. There are 4 different filters for American Eagle...actual...dated.....sched...and generic. I have no idea what the differences are. Which one do I use?

Next (using both the actual and the sched filter), I Clicked Download all trips PPC. I Save to Desktop. When I double click on the Zip file and try to extract it it tells me I need a password. Not sure what that means....do I not have a valid 'WinZip' program?

Once I figure out how to unzip, I guess I need to know what to do next. Where do I unzip it to? Then...how to I get it from my PC to my PDA.

Sorry for all the questions. I'd really like to get a handle on this so I can purchase the full version and sail off.

Thanks

Hello,

Try the different filters in the schedule importer filter drop down until you find on that imports your data properly. If you need assistance please submit a support ticket and include your trip data.

Zip files do not get extracted on your end, you pass them to the Pocket PC directly. Please refer to the documentation on both APDL and the Schedule importer:

NC Software Product Documentation

The other timezone come into play when importing the schedule from the importer. They are also used when you want to display the times in LOCAL, ZULU, or Domicile on the Logpage. I personally find it easier to enter the block out/in times in ZULU as that is what the FMS displays them in. So I keep my Logpage in ZULU in flight enter the times and then change it back to LOCAL to see when the next leg departs Locally.

Thanks for all the help. I guess I just can't grasp the differences in Domicile/Local/Zulu etc. as to why or when I would want one over the other.
Another Question:
I had a DH leg yesterday. In the Preferences under Payroll Categories I selected DeadHead from the pull-down window. I have 'Apply to Pay' and 'Apply Rig' checked. My company pays me 75% of the scheduled block time for a DH. On the logpage I changed that leg from Block to Deadhead but it still shows the entire credit for the leg to the right...not 75%. What am I doing wrong?

Did you enter the Rig of 3:4?

Did you you copy the scheduled block times up to the actual block time lines? or enter the actual block time if your company pays that way.

Attachments

• deadhead 75.jpg
    deadhead 75.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 40

The Logbook Timezone is the timezone you want to keep your Logbook Pro OUT/IN times in. All APDL time will be converted to this timezone when sent to Logbook Pro. I personally use GMT.

I would suggest going to OPTIONS....PAYROLL CATEGORIES and add 3 custom categories. Call them the names of the 3 aircraft you fly. If you were flying the CRJ-200/700/900 then you could use CRJ2, CRJ7, CRJ9. Setup Category with the following:
Check Apply to Flight
Check Apply to 30/7
Check Apply to Pay
Check Apply Pay Rate: x.xx
Check Apply Rig (only if you airline uses it for flight)
Check Include in Popup Lists

APDL doesn't have the ability to calculate times based on a set number of hours per month. Once you break 75 hours a month you should change the pay category to above guarantee. You will also have to create 3 of those as well (e.g. above CRJ2, above CRJ7, etc). This will tell APDL that flight is paid above your guarantee.

Under Rigs and guarantees you will want to say YES to LEG Guarantee and NO to trip.

The correct timezone settings are as follow (OPTIONS...AIRPORT LIST):

Eastern -5 Check Apply Daylight Savings if the city uses it. Once set you never touch it again
Central -6 Check Apply Daylight Savings if the city uses it. Once set you never touch it again
Mountain -7 Check Apply Daylight Savings if the city uses it. Once set you never touch it again
Pacific -8 Check Apply Daylight Savings if the city uses it. Once set you never touch it again

Under Options...Prefs...Timezone Settings

Domiclie is UTC -6 DST check or ORD

Logbook Time Zone is set to whatever timezone you want to keep your Logbook in and set DST appropriately

Import Schedules in: Is normally LOCAL as most airlines publish their schedules in LOCAL. Your options are BASE, LOCAL, and ZULU. Use the correct one for your airline.

CHECK Daylight Savings is in Effect. This is the box you will check in the spring and uncheck in the fall. It is the only DST setting you need to change in APDL.

NOTE: APDL pay calculations are for reference only and cannot take into account every pay situation.

Let me know if you have any futher questions.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Back