Logbook Pro on PC is not remembering Name and Unlock Code for Palm Companion software

dopersteny

After opening up Logbook Pro, after hot-syncing, it does not 'activate' the 'Import Palm Companion Data' option when there is data in the queue-- unless I re-enter my name and unlock code. Once I do this, I can get the option to activate and then get the data in the logbook. I have tried backing up the .lbk file, and saving it after entering the code. Any suggestions? It seems as if the program is not retaining my unlock code every time I exit.

In addition it doesn't always prompt me that there is data waiting to be inserted upon shutdown or start-up. It did it once on shutdown out of 5 times.

The software on the PDA is working fine.

Thanks for the help.

I don't think the issue you are seeing is related to the unlock code, the registration system will not be disabled as it has to be available for the Pocket PC when that time comes.

Let's focus on whether or not Logbook Pro thinks there is data to be imported, that is the issue at hand with what you are reporting.

What Operating System are you using?

Confirm you followed the steps to create the hotsync connection to your data file?

If you HotSync then startup Logbook Pro, do you get the dialog to merge the data?

You will not get a message on shutdown, it's only at program startup if there is data in the merge cue.

When you click the PDA Companions Menu then Palm Companion, Logbook Pro does a check to see if there is merge data available. Try cycling the menu a few times and see if the Import option works.

If you can find any pattern that is reproducable, please let me know. Again, I don't think this has anything to do with the registration system. I'll review the code and double-check, but let's concentrate on the above info first.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

I see you are using Win98 SE. This may be a problem if the ODBC of the system is not version 3.5 or later. Right now I'm not sure where to check for that version, but let's hold that thought for now.

What I want you to do is to do your HotSync's with Logbook Pro closed. Then startup Logbook Pro and see if it prompts you with data in the merge cue. Then we'll go from there.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

I found where you can determine the ODBC version, should we need to check that. For Windows 98, click Start...Settings...Control Panel then double-click the ODBC icon. Click the About tab and you will see the versions. We need to have 3.5.x and later. Windows 2K/XP users the ODBC dialog is within the Administrative area.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

NC Software said:
I don't think the issue you are seeing is related to the unlock code, the registration system will not be disabled as it has to be available for the Pocket PC when that time comes.

Let's focus on whether or not Logbook Pro thinks there is data to be imported, that is the issue at hand with what you are reporting.

What Operating System are you using?

Confirm you followed the steps to create the hotsync connection to your data file?

If you HotSync then startup Logbook Pro, do you get the dialog to merge the data?

You will not get a message on shutdown, it's only at program startup if there is data in the merge cue.

When you click the PDA Companions Menu then Palm Companion, Logbook Pro does a check to see if there is merge data available. Try cycling the menu a few times and see if the Import option works.

If you can find any pattern that is reproducable, please let me know. Again, I don't think this has anything to do with the registration system. I'll review the code and double-check, but let's concentrate on the above info first.

- No dialog when starting logbook pro after hot sync...

- Cycled the menu a few times...no luck...

Am researching the ODBC-thing now....

And I just re-inserted the name/unlock code --I have it memorized now /forums/emoticons/wink.gif , and it is ready to take the merge.

if I keep Logbook Pro running, and hot-sync again, I am able to merge data. The problem only happens when I close LB Pro, and hot-sync with LB Pro off or on. The drop-down is not active at all for merge after that, unless I re-enter the code.

Hmmm..

Okay, let me do some research then on the code issue. I looked at the code and I'm not seeing how it's getting purged. Try something else while I think of it:

When you think you need to reenter your code, click Start...Run and type in REGEDIT. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NC Software and see if there is still a Palm Companion\v1 entry. If not, it is getting removed.

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Shoot me an e-mail at support@nc-software.com and send me the answers to:

Were you in the PDA Beta program?

What code are you using on the PC side to register the PDA Companion?

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Maybe this question will help...

Should the option to 'register PDA companion' be grayed-out once I enter the code? It is not for me. It would be a nice fix to have it that way once one registers, to show that the code has been accepted (and retained).

Will reply via emails now.

No, because you may need to register a second code for a Pocket PC companion. It's a universal registration system for both the Palm Companion and Pocket PC companion. Honestly, it doesn't matter if you register over and over again, it's not going to hurt anything. The problem with your issue is the 'why' you are having to do this to make it work. There is code in Logbook Pro that purges the beta testers trial codes and for some reason on yours it may be picking up this code and executing it which is purging the registration. Let's see if anyone else has this problem and take the next step. I'll get you up and running, don't worry!

Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
support@nc-software.com

Back